YA books being made into films

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Saw DIVERGENT at the movies last night, and thought it was good. Four was a bit flat, though. Woodley did great.
It was definitely an advantage to have read the book before seeing the film, because it wasn't that easy at times to keep track of who's who and such.

I'd like to see LEGEND on the big screen soon.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Saw DIVERGENT at the movies last night, and thought it was good. Four was a bit flat, though. Woodley did great.
It was definitely an advantage to have read the book before seeing the film, because it wasn't that easy at times to keep track of who's who and such.

I'd like to see LEGEND on the big screen soon.
I saw DIVERGENT today, and thought it was good. My sister enjoyed it too and she hasn't read the book. I liked Theo as Four, but I might have been distracted by his beautiful, beautiful face.

Last edited:

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I saw DIVERGENT today, and thought it was good. My sister enjoyed it too and she hasn't read the book. I liked Theo as Four, but I might have been distracted by his beautiful, beautiful face.

Eye candy galore. :)

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
Whenever someone says they want to see Legend, my immediate reaction is to imagine this:

tom+cruise+Legend+03.jpg

back before I decided Tom Cruise creeps me out...

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
TFIOS looks more and more promising! I saw a clip this morning of the part just after Hazel and Gus meet, where he explains the cigarette metaphor, and I thought it looked and sounded great.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever someone says they want to see Legend, my immediate reaction is to imagine this:

[snipped image]

back before I decided Tom Cruise creeps me out...

Because it was made before Tom Cruise got creepy. ;)

stephen andrew

Write, write, and keep reading
Registered
Reaction score
TFIOS looks more and more promising! I saw a clip this morning of the part just after Hazel and Gus meet, where he explains the cigarette metaphor, and I thought it looked and sounded great.

Yes, I saw that too. I think that TFIOS should do very well, and it will be much different than most of the YA fare that's been adapted recently. It ought to be able to reach out to a broad audience as well.

I'm still holding out for another try at HIS DARK MATERIALS. The first adaptation was so bad, but the books are so good! I would love for someone to do it well! (Although, those aren't YA)

kej115

Registered
Reaction score

AH yes I am so excited for this movie to come out! Ansel Elgort is literally the exact image of Augustus that I thought of while I was reading it. Every time I start watching a trailer clip I can't stop watching more and more haha

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't read it yet :( I finally reserved it at my library weeks ago but the queue must have been massive. Or people are just taking forever to read it.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Julie Kagawa got a 5-book series deal with Harlequin, plus it was picked up by Universal. The series is untitled so far.

Sounds a bit fae.
I believe that old post is related to this update
Universal Studios has hired screenwriter Jay Basu to adapt Talon, the forthcoming fantasy YA novel from best-selling author Julie Kagawa.

The book is the first in a new series to be released in October from Harlequin Teen, about dragons disguised as humans and the so-called Order of St. George, a group of warriors dedicated to fighting them.

Chris Morgan and Emile Gladstone are signed on to produce the adaptation. According to Variety, Universal wanted to lock-up the adaptation quickly, despite the book not yet being released, based on the popularity of other fantasy properties, such as Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.
ETA this bit, in case someone is as curious as I am. I didn't know books could get optioned before there's a manuscript. Obviously they can.

I’ve also just signed a deal for a new five-book series, which ended up being optioned by Universal based on a proposal and a 50-page rough draft, but there’s not much going on there yet because the books haven’t been written.
source

Last edited:

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I wonder (since it's Universal) if that's because the movie version already existed first, or do they mean a book first? That's something I've never understood about non-fic either. It makes much more sense to me to finish the book first, then query it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how the deals are set up. You can actually sell the rights in any order.

Most go from book to movie, because that's how a movie gets a pre-established audience. But with all of the YA-to-movie craziness, some studios will take a chance on grabbing an idea, which can then be presented to publishers as "pre-sold" to a studio, making it potentially more attractive.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
(disclaimer: no actual knowledge about the industry--just speculation)

I wonder if it would be to a studio's advantage to snatch up the rights to something as early as possible? If you wait until the book gets popular, you'll have to compete with other studios, which will probably mean a much pricier deal.

And it's probably to an author's advantage to sell movie rights early on--even if the movie never happens, the deal alone is probably good publicity.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Would you write your own screenplay, or have someone else do it? Although if the screenplay writer is like a close friend that might be OK. The extent of my knowledge is Fade In. Cut To. The idea of selling a script scares me, because of how far Walter Mitty strayed from the source material.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Would you write your own screenplay, or have someone else do it? Although if the screenplay writer is like a close friend that might be OK. The extent of my knowledge is Fade In. Cut To. The idea of selling a script scares me, because of how far Walter Mitty strayed from the source material.
If a novelist has no experience in screenwriting, they won't be allowed to write their own screenplay. I doubt even experience helps unless they have actual pro credits.

As for finishing first, this is one of the things published authors enjoy and something I hope to experience. :) Selling on proposal & sample chapters, no more having to write the whole book first, ah the dreamz.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
That's so confusing. I feel so sorry for agents then.XD

Either way, the deal would be set-up by the agent, so they're ready for it. ;)

(disclaimer: no actual knowledge about the industry--just speculation)

I wonder if it would be to a studio's advantage to snatch up the rights to something as early as possible? If you wait until the book gets popular, you'll have to compete with other studios, which will probably mean a much pricier deal.

And it's probably to an author's advantage to sell movie rights early on--even if the movie never happens, the deal alone is probably good publicity.

It depends on how much they're going to pay for the option.

In many cases, a book's rights will be bought for something like $10,000. A standard option is 10% of the purchase price. That means the author would get $1000 upfront, minus the agent/lawyer commissions. That's all the writer gets until the movie goes into production or the studio re-options in 12-18 months.

When you're talking a super-hot property, or a super-hot writer, then the purchase price can hit the stratosphere. The option may be ten percent, or more, or less. If you think of something like 50 Shades of Grey, which went for seven figures, then the studio is putting up at least 6 figures for the option. (Unless it's Stephen King, who options all his books for a single dollar.)

Gambling on an unwritten series is even trickier. The studio will want to hedge their bets, but at the same time they want to make the offer and option as attractive as possible so that the writer will accept it. (One reason you absolutely NEED an attorney for things like this.)

There's also the matter of the books. If the movie comes first, then the books are essentially tie-ins from the start. "I Am Number Four" was done this way. You also have the risk of the optioned plot not being the final novelization.

Again, it depends. When my book was optioned, I was asked if I wanted to write the screenplay. I know how, but haven't made a serious attempt at screenwriting in years, so I told them no. But - and it's a big distinction - when you option a novel, even if you write the screenplay yourself, you're not selling the script. You're selling the film rights to an existing novel. The studio still has approval on the script, even if the author writes it.

At that point, if the project gets to production, you've got to consider things like budget, set location, technical viability, and actor requests. Take Divergent for example -- the character Kate Winslet played isn't shown very often in the novel, but she's near central to the film. She's Kate Winslet; if she signs on, you want to give her something to do, so you increase her character's visibility and importance to the plot.

Movies are very, very complex machines.

mailtime

Typed so fast, keyboard's on fire.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not this at all.

The franchise is as close to a sure thing as you can possibly get, therefore, they break the final installment in half to double their return.

IMO, it's so unnecessary. Deathly Hallows was the only one that deserved to be split in two. Breaking Dawn didn't need it. Mockingjay doesn't need it. The Hobbit definitely doesn't need whatever they're doing to it. And Alliegiant doesn't, either.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Again, it depends. When my book was optioned, I was asked if I wanted to write the screenplay. I know how, but haven't made a serious attempt at screenwriting in years, so I told them no. But - and it's a big distinction - when you option a novel, even if you write the screenplay yourself, you're not selling the script. You're selling the film rights to an existing novel. The studio still has approval on the script, even if the author writes it.
Okay, I gladly take back my "never unless screen creds" comment.
My new day-dream: I get a movie deal, I show them my Nicholl quarterfinals notice, and they ask me if I want to write the screenplay. Upon which I scream and dance around the room for the second time. :)

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I think my own issue is I'd rather not add musical numbers, random nonsensical twirly gig dances, and funny animals. That might be more of a danger with Middle Grade though.

Hopefully more adaptations would would be like Hunger Games.:/

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I randomly came across this today. If it's true, then it means one more movie deal and one more case of public exposure for YA!
Entertainment Wise is reporting that Divergent's Theo James and The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder are both being considered for the role of Patch, the fallen angel. But, it looks like they might be missing out on some minor complications...
For the book shy among us, Hush, Hush will be adapted from a four part novel series by Rebecca Fitzpatrick. The story follows Nora Grey, a young woman who catches Patch's eye. She is entranced by the mysterious stranger and it is later revealed that he is fallen angel desperate to be human again.
source

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Isn't Patch supposed to be rather Spanish-looking*, though? Neither of them particularly fit that bill (plus they're a bit old for the part).

*'...the ends of his black hair dripping rain. It slid down his face, which was dark as a Spaniard's.'