My shameful confession about Twilight

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
While laying in bed last night I was thinking about writing (shocker, I know) and somehow got on the topic of Twilight.

I really do think the writing went further downhill with each new book in the series, but I remember when I first read the VERY FIRST Twilight book I had a serious fangirl freakout. I was pretty well convinced that Edward was the most perfect imaginary boy I'd ever read and my life was meaningless because he wasn't real (I was very dramatic in my youth).

What I'm interested in is that reaction, that gut feeling when you're reading something (specifically YA fantasy/romance). Maybe it isn't "good", but makes your inner fangirl do cartwheels... Anyone else have something like that? Or am I the only resident of crazytown?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of people had that. That's the reason she sold so many books and had amazingly successful films made. :)

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
I always struggle to understand why writing, when it does things like this, has to be considered "bad".... :Shrug:

For me, if it causes reactions like that, it's good writing. Period.

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
I always struggle to understand why writing, when it does things like this, has to be considered "bad".... :Shrug:

I think of it along the same lines of some of my favorite movies. "Earth Girls Are Easy", for example, is a bad movie. It just is, technically it's a hot mess, but I love it to bits and pieces.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score

Depends on your definition of bad, I think.

Taylor Kowalski

professional mountain troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mostlytaylor.com
I didn't have that with Twilight.

However, I was briefly taken with Meggie Stiefvater's fundamentally awful book, Shiver. I read it in about two hours, my inner critic screaming itself into silence, and I was like, "Oh, that was actually a bit pleasant." Surprisingly engaging.

And then I read a chapter of the second one and the spell was broken. I didn't remember Shiver being that bad. So I doubled back and reread parts of it and saw what I had somehow missed.

I nearly liked it. :(

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a few fangirl moments when reading some series. However, most of those moments were because I was reading about twists, turns, gory details, and adventures. Most YA love interests nowadays don't really do it for me. They all seem the same. Rich, perfect, cocky, and rude. I actually fangirl more over TV shows than books. Lately, I've been fangirling over shows like Person of Interest and the new FOX show, Sleepy Hollow. Tumblr is my nesting ground where I do my ritual fangirling.

The one thing I can say about the Twilight series is that it was one of a kind. When Twilight first came out in 2005, the fantasy and paranormal side of the YA genre wasn't really popular. Contemporary ruled the market. I was going to high school at the time and everyone I knew never read a YA book for fun. Watching anime, reading mangas, and playing video games were more satisfying. Then Twilight bursted onto the scene and EVERY girl in my school had a damn copy of it.

I grew up on Anne Rice, so when my friends were having a swoon book club meeting at lunch time about sparkly vampires, I knew straight up that it wasn't my cup of tea. They had to force me to read the books on a triple dog dare (I can't resist). However, I could see why they were fascinated with Edward and Bella's story. Much of the vampire culture is overtly sexual in a way and then you have this chaste virgin sparkly vampire who only drinks animal blood. I mean that shit is as unique as it gets.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of bad, I think.

I've heard it said that there is no such thing as bad writing, just writing that is either not to a particular reader's taste or is fashionable in the industry. Lordy, I hope there is not such thing as bad writing. There's hope for me yet.

Back to the OP, I only read the first 100 pages of the first book, and once I saw the movie I had no desire to read the rest of it. Not that I hated it, I just don't enjoy most books once I see the movie. I can't get into the books because I keep comparing it to the movie and seeing the actors. But I thought the book was wildly tongue-in-cheek; I mean it's a vampire book and the main character's name is Bella. I enjoyed the satire.

Last edited:

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I was in middle school when I read the first Twilight, and I definitely had the same reaction. There are a lot of books like this, and often they're very popular but also bashed on a lot. I can definitely see both sides, and I frequently find myself reading books where I'm like "ugh this writing could have been a lot better and this storyline is kind of dumb but this romance/plot element/whatever though." I chalk it up to interesting storytelling and heavy wish fulfillment beautifully colliding. Two other book series that come to mind are the Lux series and the Selection series, if you're interested!

However, I was briefly taken with Meggie Stiefvater's fundamentally awful book, Shiver. I read it in about two hours, my inner critic screaming itself into silence, and I was like, "Oh, that was actually a bit pleasant." Surprisingly engaging.

Yeah, see, now that's too far into "straight up bad" territory for me. Haha. The love interest WRITES ANGSTY SONG LYRICS IN HIS HEAD. I can see why people would enjoy it, but I can't manage to get myself there.

Taylor Kowalski

professional mountain troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mostlytaylor.com
Yeah, see, now that's too far into "straight up bad" territory for me. Haha. The love interest WRITES ANGSTY SONG LYRICS IN HIS HEAD. I can see why people would enjoy it, but I can't manage to get myself there.

I so blatantly skimmed those on my first read (actually, I skimmed the whole thing on my first read; probably why I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't THAT bad). In my head, it was Oh man, Sam's divulging in italics again. And I skipped it.

On my reread, I got to him describing himself as a "leaky womb" and decided I actually didn't like that book. x)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I think then everything is good writing, all movies are good movies, etc.

Something will affect someone, you know?

I don't know if that's how you meant it but the way the above is written seems to suggest to me that you mean that the writing in Twilight is considered bad by many because that's the reaction some people had. I think they're unrelated.

I didn't have that reaction reading Twilight, I thought it was very badly written, offensive and I couldn't understand the popularity. That doesn't mean I don't like anything that I consider bad writing. That doesn't mean I don't like things that other people consider badly written, that I think are better. :Shrug:

From my perspective, Twilight is considered badly written because it's badly written. That doesn't mean it can't affect people or that people can't like it whether they think that or not.

Sometimes I like Cheez Doodles - they're not good, and I don't mean in a nutrient way. Such is life.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
See, I've never like that 'no such things as bad, it's all objective' argument. It got ruined for me when I studied postmodernism in sociology. There is such a thing as bad writing, bad films, and bad art.

Doesn't mean people can't enjoy them.

'Good' and 'Enjoyable' are different things and are not necessarily present in the same work. That's fine.

God knows I love a lot of terrible, awful shite.

You shouldn't be ashamed for liking things. It grabbed people. That's why it was popular. I refuse to be ashamed of liking the terrible things I like (Waterworld!).

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
See, I've never like that 'no such things as bad, it's all objective' argument. It got ruined for me when I studied postmodernism in sociology. There is such a thing as bad writing, bad films, and bad art.

Doesn't mean people can't enjoy them.

'Good' and 'Enjoyable' are different things and are not necessarily present in the same work. That's fine.

God knows I love a lot of terrible, awful shite.

You shouldn't be ashamed for liking things. It grabbed people. That's why it was popular. I refuse to be ashamed of liking the terrible things I like (Waterworld!).

Just that. I'm saying - Cheez Doodles. Also the films of Ed Wood, mass-market Halloween treats, Jaws 4: This Time It's Personal, etc., etc., etc.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have that with Twilight.

And then I read a chapter of the second one and the spell was broken. I didn't remember Shiver being that bad. So I doubled back and reread parts of it and saw what I had somehow missed.

I nearly liked it. :(

Oh, I liked Shiver! I didn't think the writing was bad either...

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I am a shameless fangirl of the Darkling in Shadow and Bone.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
My own example is The Secret Circle books by L.J. Smith. I read them as a teen and love, love, loved them. I wanted to be Cassie! I reread them when they were rereleased a few years ago and although I can see now that the writing is not great, I still love them (oh, the makeover scene!). I think you get the fangirl wish fullfillment thing more when you read these sorts of books when you're young.

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
Well, it's not all that unusual, honestly. I grew up loving vampire lit (especially Dracula) and when Twilight became popular I remember every girl in my youth group and that I knew at school were talking about vampires. Their 'erroneous' assumptions drove me to read it. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't horrible in my estimation. I would've called them 'fairies' not 'vampires' but it wasn't the worst thing I'd ever read.

I only hated the series when I attempted to read the 4th book. I didn't get through chapter 2.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly enjoyed Twi1ight, book 1. I've said some unflattering things about the rest of the books in the series, but book 1 was a fun, light read. And I still maintain that the "reveal" scene with the runaway truck was one of the better OMG - you're not human!!! reveals I've seen.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
There was definitely something about Twilight.... an addictive qaulity. I never fan girled (at least not about Edward ;-) but I enjoyed them from a readers POV and I'm glad I did. I think it really helps to be able to understand books like that (though I can't do 50 shades. I'm sorry, I can't get past the first line...)

Nothing wrong with that, I like to think it means you understand the readers of a huge market. Doesn't mean you can replicate it but it helps IMO.

And for the record, I liked 1-3 but wanted to burn 4.

Last edited:

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
There are a ton of terrible movies that I absolutely love (Batman vs. Robin?). and there are some books that could probably be classified as terrible (Jake Reinvented) that I absolutely love as well.

I think Cornflake said it really well concerning twilight. I couldn't get past the crappy writing but I understand why people love that series.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the first person to tell you that Twilight is, um... not good? But to each his own, you know? There are plenty of people who enjoy it. I couldn't make it past the first couple of chapters due to basic grammar, and the word "chagrin" thrown at me multiple times. Bella is also really one dimensional.

CONFESSION TIME: I will say that I did read a substantial portion of "Midnight Sun", the unpublished alternate of Twilight wherein Edward tells the story. It was MUCH more interesting. At least Edward acknowledged that Bella was bland. His problems were a lot more substantial than hers. What, with being a vampire and all. He has a more interesting POV.

Hmm. What book am I guilty of fangirling unjustifiably over? I don't think I have one. But I was fugging obsessed with Supernatural (tv show, still am). Wait. That doesn't count. It's actually very well written and the 5 season arc was amazing. Um... nope. Had to be Buffy. Looking back at it, it was chock-full of corn, but I was totally aboard the Buffy/Angel ship.

ChristinaJGustin

Registered
Reaction score
CONFESSION TIME: I will say that I did read a substantial portion of "Midnight Sun", the unpublished alternate of Twilight wherein Edward tells the story. It was MUCH more interesting. At least Edward acknowledged that Bella was bland. His problems were a lot more substantial than hers. What, with being a vampire and all. He has a more interesting POV.

I had the same reaction. I thought "Midnight Sun" was much more interesting than the original.

I found all the twilight books to have a compelling nature. Something about them just drew you in, but they are definitely a guilty pleasure book. It was like eating too many sour gummy worms. I like them while I can taste them, but once the whole bag is gone, I knew I hadn't made the best choice in snack food.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I fanboyed pretty hard for Mercedes Lackey's Velgarth books when I was younger. (They're not even terrible in retrospect, so score one for my sense of taste!)

I do believe in bad writing. And bad story-telling. But I agree with previous posters that you can still enjoy something with one or both, and even not enjoy something with neither. That's what may be meant by "it's all subjective":

The quality isn't, but the enjoyability can be.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit it. I am a grown up and read literary stuff, but I loved the Twilight series. It sucked me in, too. The writing may not be deep, and if you scratch the surface, the premise is pretty terrible. (Girl NEEDS this guy, who wants to kill her. Also hangs out with a werewolf who has no control over his emotions and may maim her if he gets too angry).

But, I was in love with Edward. I don't care what the literary crowd says, writing something that sets the world on fire like that has something.