It seems that YA dystopian novels are what's "in" right now

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody notice this? Divergent was successful enough to get a movie, and Legend was also successful. And let's not forget how big the Hunger Games trilogy is (okay, that's mostly due to the movies, but yeah).

Do you think they'll die off and be replaced by a new trend?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The trend has been dying off steadily for a while now. The adaptions are just catching up.

And trends always come and go.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with judging a trend based on what's on the bookshelves is that publishers bought those books 2 years ago (or more. HG and Divergent are getting pretty old). Movies are going to be further behind than the books.

I just had an editor tell me that she was happy my sci-fi novel didn't have any dystopia in it because "we are so over dystopias." As it happens, I did initially start this book with some dystopian threads because back then they were hot. That was 2010. By 2012 when I rebooted the book, I dropped the dystopian elements, which was fine, because they were already on the decline.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
What's the current "hot" thing?

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
The problem with judging a trend based on what's on the bookshelves is that publishers bought those books 2 years ago (or more. HG and Divergent are getting pretty old). Movies are going to be further behind than the books.

This.

The shift has been made to contemporary novels a la Sarah Dessen, John Green and Gayle Forman. (The latter two are getting film adaptations, too.) But like Sage said, those books were bought years ago by publishing houses. It's hard to judge the next trend from the bookshelves.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Hunger Games is getting pretty old, yeah. I read it in high school and I'm almost a college graduate.

All trends come and go.

Then again, a question -- is a dystopia defined by the world sucking, or defined by rebellion against the sucking?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Hunger Games is getting pretty old, yeah. I read it in high school and I'm almost a college graduate.

All trends come and go.

Then again, a question -- is a dystopia defined by the world sucking, or defined by rebellion against the sucking?

Dystopia is a society that is oppressive and miserable, often full of disease and overpopulation. The opposite is a utopia, or a society that is perfect or ideal.

(i.e., it's not the *world* that sucks, it's the *society*. When the world sucks, it's usually after some catastrophe, and you get post-apocalyptic fiction.)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Hm.

I guess I'm asking because I have not really seen any YA dystopias where there's something wrong with the society but that's considered to be "beside the point".

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
What's the current "hot" thing?

We're kind of in between trends right now. When there's no big, specific trend, contemporary novels tend to flourish. Right now a lot of agents and editors are looking for good contemporary novels, and middle grade is gaining more traction.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Dystopia is a society that is oppressive and miserable, often full of disease and overpopulation. The opposite is a utopia, or a society that is perfect or ideal.

(i.e., it's not the *world* that sucks, it's the *society*. When the world sucks, it's usually after some catastrophe, and you get post-apocalyptic fiction.)
I beg to differ a bit on your first point. Sometimes this defines dystopia, but not always. Often a dystopia purports to be an ideal society because the powers that be have done away with some of society's nastier elements -- like freedom of speech, or freedom of choice, or sex -- thus creating what appears, on the surface, to be a utopia. For example, A Brave New World, The Giver, A Handmaid's Tale or even 1984. Big Brother is there for your protection.

However, these "utopias", throughout the story, are soon revealed to be the very antithesis of utopia, i.e. dystopia.

Whatever the trend, I happen to love dystopian fiction, when it's done well, and would love to read more of it targeted to a YA readership.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I beg to differ a bit on your first point. Sometimes this defines dystopia, but not always. Often a dystopia purports to be an ideal society because the powers that be have done away with some of society's nastier elements -- like freedom of speech, or freedom of choice, or sex -- thus creating what appears, on the surface, to be a utopia. For example, A Brave New World, The Giver, A Handmaid's Tale or even 1984. Big Brother is there for your protection.

However, these "utopias", throughout the story, are soon revealed to be the very antithesis of utopia, i.e. dystopia.

Whatever the trend, I happen to love dystopian fiction, when it's done well, and would love to read more of it targeted to a YA readership.

Oh yes, agreed. Often, when you scratch the surface of a utopia, you Find a dystopia underneath.

To those on top, a dystopian society can be quite the utopia. Sucks for everyone else, though.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, agreed. Often, when you scratch the surface of a utopia, you Find a dystopia underneath.

To those on top, a dystopian society can be quite the utopia. Sucks for everyone else, though.

Exactly!

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score

I think you're both saying the same thing. The beginning of the story might not show that it's "oppressive and miserable" but eventually it gets there, right?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If you look from the POV from the Capital citizens in tHG, most would probably consider themselves to be in a utopia.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of already been said, but in response to Hap's question:

I don't think dystopian is defined by the world sucking or by the rebellion against said sucky world. Most dystopian novels start out telling us how fantastic their world is now that love, disease, death, free will, etc. has been eradicated, then we quickly find out how that is all a bunch of crap. This of course doesn't include HG, which starts out telling us how bad The Capitol is. And rebelling against the oppression doesn't necessarily define the dystopia either, though I think you're right in that I can't think of a single dystopia where the characters don't rebel against the problem in some way. That could have more to do with the fact that who would read a book if the characters didn't do something interesting like try to right the wrongs of the world. I guess, like others have said, dystopia is about a repressive society, even if they try to pretend their oppression is for your own good. If the oppressive society wasn't the main thread/antagonist of the story, then there wouldn't be a need to set your story in a dystopian setting. You wouldn't need that kind of setting to write a book about a boy telling his family he is gay, or kids surviving/dying from cancer, or falling in love with the bad boy. You can have those things in a dystopia, but if the dystopia doesn't affect them, than what's the point of writing that setting.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Whew, when I clicked on this I honestly thought you were going to be joking around. Dystopian peaked-- in terms of selling it to publishers-- in 2010, very early 2011. When I did my NYC trip in May 2011, the question was "would you still be open to a dystopian" and it was 50/50 between "no I already have one" and "I'd consider it if it felt very fresh, but it would need to be soon."

I won't sign anything that sniffs of dystopian as they are incredibly hard to sell.

The market is moving in a few directions-- contemporary novels with a hook, or the always-sought-after "straddling the line between commercial and literary" (IE, spectacular writing that wins over the high-brow folks or trade reviewers, yet has a real hook/plot for the mass market type readers), epic fantasy (leigh bardugo, sarah j. maas, etc, type stuff), thrillers, mysteries, etc.

The problem with trends isn't for people who write things that aren't HOT right now, the problem is with the authors writing something that WAS hot a year or two ago and is super saturated. You will struggle far more than a writer writing something that hasn't hit big at all in awhile (IE, historicals).

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're both saying the same thing. The beginning of the story might not show that it's "oppressive and miserable" but eventually it gets there, right?

Society in dystopian fiction is almost always oppressive in one way or another, but the citizens aren't always miserable. Sure, the world of 1984 is terrible for almost everyone. But take A Brave New World, for example, where people are quite happy to live the lives set out for them by the government. They don't have to have messy sex, they can take a safe and legal drug whenever they want, their destiny is predetermined before they're even born (i.e. decanted) which eliminates all the angst of choice and hard work. People don't even know that another way is possible until they find the savage, whose lifestyle and mores most people simply find confusing.

So, while the reader knows the populace is oppressed and should be miserable, they do not.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Hm...

I guess I don't agree with you, JRT.

I'm currently writing a story with a setting in a (not man made) arable land crisis and is at least mentally recovering from war. However none of that is explicitly stated and the characters are very involved in their own supernatural/personal problems so they don't really pay much attention to it. Is this not dystopia?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
As described there, Hap, I don't see dystopia in it.

xYinxx

Registered
Reaction score
We're kind of in between trends right now. When there's no big, specific trend, contemporary novels tend to flourish. Right now a lot of agents and editors are looking for good contemporary novels, and middle grade is gaining more traction.

Thanks. I just had to look up what the heck a contemporary novel was (hehehe), and it seems to not be something of my forte. I prefer writing and reading YA Fantasy/Sci-Fi.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YA dystopia is a massively saturated genre. It's a really hard sell right now. My agent is subbing my YA fantasy which has dystopian elements in it, and editors keep saying that YA dystopia is so over, but if I have non-dystopian books, they would love to read it. Le sigh!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Even if dystopia was hot right this second, and this is true for any trend, by the time you finish writing a book, get it edited, send to betas, get it edited again, send out queries, get an agent, revise for her, and finally submit to publishers, the hot trend may be over (it may be over before you get to querying agents).

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Write a story, not a trend. There's always room for a great story no matter what might be popular at a given moment.

stephen andrew

Write, write, and keep reading
Registered
Reaction score
The funny thing is people act like dystopia is this new thing or something. Studios are certainly trying to bank on its current resurgence, due to THG, but for instance The Giver is twenty years old, and just now getting an adaptation, but its been popular among young readers for years and years. Dystopia may fade a bit, but it is not a fad. It has a had a broad readership for a long time. Publishers may shy away from them, and then in ten years pick more up.

The aspect of corrupt government is probably most prominent in dystopias, but that is an aspect in many stories, modern, sci-fi, fantasy, etc.

My story always had some corruption and politics, but I have striven to give it a feel that is not very dystopic. Though it is futuristic, post-apocalyptic. Ultimately, mine is a fantasy with political corruption in the middle of it.

Ultimately write what you want to write, and try to bring something fresh no matter the genre or sub genre.