YA Forum Quick Update (wip,submissions etc)

Karambelas

Querying my first book!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingandwanderlust.wordpress.com
My writing!

Hey everyone!!

I'm new to this post so I'll add mine...

Querying to agents: You're the Catalyst (YA Contemporary) - currently have fulls and partials out to a few agents that I'm waiting to hear back on...

Writing in progress: Second Best (NA Contemporary) - about 19,000 words into this one!

Also, Forbidden Fruit is a YA (possibly a MG) fantasy that I've been working on on and off for a couple years. It has series potential but I haven't been as into this one so it's on the back burner until I feel inspired.

Outlined: Untitled - YA Dystopian trilogy

Ideas I'm working out: Untitled - I've got an adult paranormal series that I've been playing around with. I have the concept worked out, just not the entire series.

Untitled - YA Contemporary with the classic girl falls in love with one of her two best guy friends and he is oblivious...

Ultraviolet

Registered
Reaction score
Eeek, I barely have anything compared to all you ambitious people, but I love seeing everyone's progress! Here's what I have right now:

Published short story- YA Dystopian tale that I want to expand into a novel

Outline- YA sci-fi/psychological thriller

Outline- YA time travel/crime story

Notes- Middle grade historical fiction/family saga

And about a dozen concepts in a Word file that need to be expanded in the future. For now, I think I'm okay though. I'm having a hard enough time committing to one project and getting started on the drafting as it is. It's just so much fun to plan!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'm gonna nudge my second YA title for the six houses who seem to be lagging response wise. I'd like to query it out to about 10 to 12 more and really start the ball rolling. I'm still having the toughest time coming up with a concept for a new YA near-future or epic SF adventure. Can't. Get. Mind. To. Function and let loose.

tri

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I am wrapping up edits!!! WHOO!!! Feels great to see all the little details lying down and behaving. :) This is my first novel and I just keep laughing wherever I go, I'm so pleased to have gotten this far.

I hope to begin querying agents in a week or so.

Anyone else at about the same point?

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
On hold while I figure out how to fix: YA fantasy about a girl who discovers she's a descendent of a group that cause disasters to the world. She refuses and is hunted by her own family.

Querying: YA contemporary about a teen prostitute who's busted and sent back home to the suburbs to be "normal" again.

Editing: MG fantasy about a little girl who's part goblin and doesn't know it.

Drafting: YA historical romance with paranormal elements- Luxe meets Pirates of the Caribbean

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Well, got so far as a group of convict teens who get drop-shipped on a penal colony planet...and that's about as far as I've gotten. No plot, no twists, no conflict and certainly no threat or sticky situation to land in. I'm thinking about a survival story but that seems too linear or cliche. Has to be a hell of a lot more to it and it isn't fermenting in my mind yet.

tri:Shrug:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
It's still slow going on PARIS & LONDON (24k), but I think I found a more permanent title! SOMEWHERE, ANYWHERE. What do we think?

Last edited:

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
It's fun to go back to the beginning of this thread and see the writers talking about their manuscripts and then in their signatures are their recently published works. Inspiring.

Published: An article.
On subs: Nothing
Editing: Working revisions with my agent for Deadly Splendor, a horror YA about an all-female secret society of man-eaters. Starting the revision process for Shattered Choices, a light sci-fi, romance YA.
Writing: The Curse of the Mummy Princess, a fantasy MG. Also, Siren's Chamorro, an adult romance novella.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I officially signed the contract from Intrigue Publishing and just sent it off in the mail. Out of the six contract offers for The Girl They Sold to the Moon, a YA dystopian, they furnished the best advance and contract, hands down. Got to thank my agent for keeping so many sub-right and raising the royalty percentage on cover and not net. My term is three years and not five.

tri:D

BridgetEBaker

Registered
Reaction score
Writing: YA Contemporary with Twist--Game of Thrones in modern day
Querying: Mid Grade on a boy who discovers his mom's a super hero and YA post apocalyptic. My MC discovers she's the only one who might be able to cure a virus that's already wiped out most of the human race. She might also die trying.

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
I officially signed the contract from Intrigue Publishing and just sent it off in the mail. Out of the six contract offers for The Girl They Sold to the Moon, a YA dystopian, they furnished the best advance and contract, hands down. Got to thank my agent for keeping so many sub-right and raising the royalty percentage on cover and not net. My term is three years and not five.

Congratulations, Tri!

TaintedBoo

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats tri! :partyguy:

BridgetEBaker

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome Triceretops! Great news!! Oh I wish I was posting something like that. Except I'd be happy to have ONE publisher offer a contract! haha.

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
I hope posting this will keep me focused.

Published: Nothing yet! But I've got time.
Editing: The Potion Master, YA fantasy. It's finally coming together into something I want to show beta readers.
Outlining: Next two books that follow The Potion Master. They're constantly being tuned and prodded for perfection.
Writing: Somewhat writing a YA fantasy about mermaids. The somewhat means the other novel is taking up all my time....

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Editing: A Diamond for You, a multi-generational romantic thriller about a young jeweler whose store gets robbed and the thief who falls in love with her. Wrote this for NaNo last year. In desperate need of editing.
Writing:YA/NA fairy tale reinterpretation. YA dystopia about an academy for supernatural healers and the one girl foolish enough, and lucky enough, to get expelled.
Outlining: Sprawling YA/NA space opera/scifi novel/novella trilogy. Designed covers & artwork to go along with the stories, but haven't actually completed the stories yet. Also an NA horror suspense novel based around urban exploration.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Waiting for the release of The Girl They Sold to the Moon, a SF dystopian thriller. Right now in the solicitation of book reviews and interviews. ARCs are here and it's gone up on Amazon for pre-order. Gorgeous cover art and type font. Really pleased the final outcome of the product!

Screamcatcher is still out on agent's second round, and I fear we're coming to an end of subs to the biggies. However, I've received five/six contract offers for it, so we have something to fall back on.

Young Reader Book, They Mysteries of the La Brea Tar pits is just starting its agent rounds. Not too much hope for this one--don't know why--just the first time trying such a book.

Writing science translation articles for the Chinese magazine market. Lots of opportunities here with tons of money. So far it's paying off handsomely.

tri

ReflectedGray

Registered
Reaction score
Finalizing: I'm putting the finishing touches on The Warden, a YA fantasy novel set in a pre-modernization desert village, and waiting for the comments from two more beta readers. I'm also trying to perfect my query letter and compiling a list of possible agents to start querying.

Writing: I started writing a new YA Sci-fi novel I’m very excited about. I'm only about 50 pages in, but I think it is going well.
Exciting stuff is happening. :)

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Um... I'm a newbie here, and this is only my 2nd day, but I do have a WIP and wouldn't mind some beta-peeps :) That way, maybe someone can tell me what my story classifies as, since I'm not sure. (Never wrote a book before, so... yeah, could use some critiques and advice)

WIP: "DAEMONS" Book One: Awakening
Started writing 11/2/13, finished last month 3/8/14
Word count: 147,424
Currently in revision mode
Has 22 chapters, plus 4-page epilogue

Not sure what it would be classified as, so that's why I need help. I think its sorta Urban Magic / Action / Mystery / Supernatural / Romance? Again, not sure.

Anyway, I have it on a Word doc. as Part One and Part Two. I'm sorta happy with Part One, enough to have it critiqued at this point. Working on revisions in Part Two as we speak. But it is all one book.

Again... I'm new here, so not sure where to post my work just yet, or how to go about sharing my manuscript for review. And all the sub-categories in this forum are a tad overwhelming to me at the moment, so if possible, send me a private message to let me know if you wouldn't mind being a beta reader? Or any kind of message that will show up in my inbox, since messages automatically pop up in there, lol. (so I at least know how to find that)

Thank you in advance for anyone who has the time to help me out! :)

AlexHale

Registered
Reaction score
I wrapped up edits on my YA fantasy manuscript and am currently battling with my query letter. Every time that I pull it up on my computer, I'm like "Curse you, query letter!" I've read some really wonderful samples recently, though, and they are inspiring me!

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to this particular thread, and though I have a novel about to be published (yay!), I'm hard at work on two other WIPs. Since I don't have an agent and would like to get one at some point, I still need to think about queries and such for those projects. Who would have thought I'd immediately think about the next book once I secured a contract for the first one?!

While I'm nervously waiting for the round of edits on the contracted novel, I'm trying to set up a nice blog, and debating what kind of online presence I really need (I've never been on Twitter or Facebook because those places eat up too much (writing) time.)