Western writing prompts thread

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would hate to limit a story to a word count when a longer one would tell a great story. In fact, that's why I didn't put a limit for the November prompt. I was trying to help us focus more on plot.

In a way, I agree with Puma. I would certainly be interested in presenting and critting well-done, longer works.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, good to know. i guess the way to go is aim for the shorter but don't sweat it (or expect so many crits) if it goes long. :)

The idea of a mini prompt for flash fiction might be quite interesting, certainly I found I mined a deep trench (if you'll excuse the term) when they had a 200 word prompt in Erotica SYW one month.

I certainly find that the less words there are allowed, the easier it is to keep to 'em. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aha! :)

We've been expecting you. I see you've arrived with a hunger for details of the things there are to be done.* :)

Now then, folks. Where are we?

So far we've collated the markets for Western stories, tidied up the Western forums, started a few new threads, had a few discussions, got our sigs out there and sparked up the Western SYW with a prompt that looks pretty healthy for a three month old. In all these endeavors we've succeeded in getting a decent amount of interest from those interested and managed to grab the interest of a few kind hearted passerbys.

This is, no doubt you'll agree, good. :)

However, this has been only the incipient stage in our attempted resurrection of the Western genre. If our efforts have so far been DW Griffith and a flickering cowboy on a screen, we need to push onto the classic stage. We need to get John Ford directing and John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart as our stars.

The question is, how to achieve this.

The post you read now is written in an attempt to show how far we have come and to start the gears turning in thought of where we go next. So I think it helpful for us to focus on the ways we can ratchet up our little western revival in an effort to get to the next stage.

My ideas are as follows -- I hope y'all will discuss, pick apart and add to them so we can work out a more solid plan.

1 - Keep up with the monthly prompts, the discussion and new threads in the western forum so the genre stays on the sites radar.

2 - Come Jan (or Feb if Jan is to close to Xmas) organize a western writing competition. The competition would run in the same way as most on site competitions (anyone can enter; set close date and word count; judged by the sites members) and I think it essential to have a proper prize for it rather than pure kudos.

I will be happy to put up a prize - book token, western book, Dvd's -- that sort of thing to the value of 50 dollars and it would be great if other people would put up a 25 dollar and a 12.5 dollar donation for second and third places.

The competition would, with the help of donations, mod support and member support, certainly get people interested and aware of the genre and, after the competition is done, might even get people writing and critting a genre they would never have thought about before.

3 - We should start a Western Writers group. You know the sort of thing -- it's a message board that is sort of behind the scenes. The benefits of something like this is that the genre comes to peoples attention by invite. Once there, everyone will have a chance to engage in discussion of the genre -- in all its facets -- and people who want to give it a go will find people interested in the way they want to write and learn there are many different ways and avenues for them to engage with the genre.

4 - We should try to contact -- in a way that isn't creepy, amateur or just plain weird (which means it shouldn't be me that does it) -- authors, publishers and agents who write and are involved in the western genre and ask them to guest -- or write something inspirational (yes, I know that sounds awful) -- on site for those interested in the genre. This level of professional insight and interest will surely grab some attention, get people involved and not only show the genre isn't dead but also show it is a genre that a living (however meager) can be made in.

5 - We should instigate a cultural exchange of genres on site. By this I mean we should not only swap some prompts with other genres (we write in theirs, they in ours) but also try to get some of the more statuesque and published writers on site to write or crit our stuff. You know, sort of critter/writer of the month type deal.

6 - Anything you your damnself can think of. :)

So, thats about all I got for now -- after all, I wouldn't want to use everything I got planned for the modern stage up in the classic stage dontchaknow. :)

Question is, whaddy'all think? What massive problems do you see in my ideas and what ideas do you have to bring? We've done so well so far, who's excited about seeing what happens next? :)

* In the case of arriving here by accident, please put on your thinking cap and tune to the frequency of things to do to propagate a western revival.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I think 1) you're a bit pre-mature, 2) very optimistic, and 3) full of (fill in the blank). :)

Yes, there has been a bit more interest in western, but not enough to make me think of doing cartwheels down the streets of Cheyenne. It's a beginning. But, I think one of the hazards we have to watch for is overkill and over-ambitiousness too soon out of the starting gate. People are just now getting their feet wet and for some there is not yet comfort in the genre. So, my advice is, take it slow - but also steady, little bit at a time. In my opinion we need a couple months of handling prompts/challenges/whatever we want to call them before we move on to something more ambitious.

Contests are interesting and do get a few more people involved - but I can almost name those from outside this forum who'd participate and then go right back to the forums they usually frequent. I've been guilty of doing that myself - even won one of the prizes in a contest a year or so back. The other thing about contests is that the mechanics of how to do them have to be worked out in detail in advance - and for that you need to talk to one or more of the mods. I know dpaterso and alleycat have both been involved in managing contests before - but in managing, they then can't participate and that's a downside.

Writer's group. I can speak only for myself. I wouldn't be interested. I'm involved in doing too many other things including some writing to think about spreading my time any thinner. Being on here is my relaxation for the day.

My two cents. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think 1) you're a bit pre-mature, 2) very optimistic, and 3) full of (fill in the blank). :)

To be pre-mature is to be optimistic. I never once seen a pessimistic kid (other than myself). As for being full of the joys of spring -- well, it is winter and I am pre-mature. :)

Yes, there has been a bit more interest in western, but not enough to make me think of doing cartwheels down the streets of Cheyenne.

Aww, c'mon -- just a little forward roll down Old Kent Road then?

It's a beginning. But, I think one of the hazards we have to watch for is overkill and over-ambitiousness too soon out of the starting gate. People are just now getting their feet wet and for some there is not yet comfort in the genre. So, my advice is, take it slow - but also steady, little bit at a time. In my opinion we need a couple months of handling prompts/challenges/whatever we want to call them before we move on to something more ambitious.

I totally agree, but I was thinking of Feb. that'll be six months since the start of the new prompts and still a good few months away.

Contests are interesting and do get a few more people involved - but I can almost name those from outside this forum who'd participate and then go right back to the forums they usually frequent. I've been guilty of doing that myself - even won one of the prizes in a contest a year or so back.

He who dares, Rodders ... he who dares. :)

The other thing about contests is that the mechanics of how to do them have to be worked out in detail in advance - and for that you need to talk to one or more of the mods. I know dpaterso and alleycat have both been involved in managing contests before - but in managing, they then can't participate and that's a downside.

Which is one of the reasons I have brought up discussion of it so many months before a proposed start date. Furthermore, I don't think the Mods running them precludes them from entering. Firstly I should think they are trustworthy type of characters for the admin of this site to have of trusted them with a modship. Secondly, if the competition is judged by the members of the site then I don't see how their entering would be prohibited. All the stories would go up anonymously and be voted on as such.

Writer's group. I can speak only for myself. I wouldn't be interested. I'm involved in doing too many other things including some writing to think about spreading my time any thinner. Being on here is my relaxation for the day.

This is fair enough point, but I was under the impression you are also seeking publication, too. :)

I'll have a think about this one, I did wonder if it might be just as well to get people to come to the front end Western forum.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
On the contests, Harry - the way the stories go up anonymously is to have them sent to one of the mods who then posts them under his or her own handle. So the mod knows who submitted all the stories. And that's the reason the mods have been excluded or excluded themselves from participating in the past.

As I mentioned previously, quite a way back, I was hoping to have the prompt for February or March be in line with one of the decent contests that has an August submission deadline. So I am thinking ahead too. Trying to get people to spread their wings a bit. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the contests, Harry - the way the stories go up anonymously is to have them sent to one of the mods who then posts them under his or her own handle. So the mod knows who submitted all the stories. And that's the reason the mods have been excluded or excluded themselves from participating in the past.

Hmmm, I see. However, even if they do know, the vote is not conducted by them. I suppose their one vote might make a difference, but I doubt anyone would be so petty as to not vote for a story because its written by a member they don't like.

Still, if this is a problem, I am sure we could find a willing mod who has absolutely no intention or wish of entering the contest.

As I mentioned previously, quite a way back, I was hoping to have the prompt for February or March be in line with one of the decent contests that has an August submission deadline. So I am thinking ahead too. Trying to get people to spread their wings a bit. Puma

Dagnabbit, Puma. How good do you think my booze addled memory is? :)

I recall this now and think it as great idea now as I did then, but if your thinking about Feb or March for an August deadline, well, thats a six to seven month period to write and submit one story, which, unless its novel length, is quite a time.

Wouldn't it be better to have an onsite competition in Feb/March where people can spread their wings and try out the genre in the comforting surroundings of AW? We can then harness the interest sparked by this and transfer it to the prompt for the actual 'real world' contest.

Doing it this way would surely have people more prepared to write something for the rel world in a genre they may not previously written in had it not been for the onsite competition.

Obviously, this is all very far away. But preparedness is all and time does have a tendency to move forward.

BTW, what did you think of my 4th and 5th suggestions? Or am I to take your non-discussion of them as indicative of what you thought? :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Contests again - when people vote for their choices, the votes are sent to the mod for tabulation. Although, now that we have the capabiity to set up polls on here, that might be an alternative way to tabulate votes. But, in the past people have been able to vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and I'm not sure the poll can be done that way. I'm not versed in doing the polls, just voting in them.

On my contest, my idea was to have people put their responses to the contest up in SYW here so they could get comments and have plenty of time for clean-up and re-writes. Then, come July if they wanted to enter the contest they should have a piece in fairly decent shape to submit.

Actually the contest I'm talking about is a western mystery writer's contest - so it would be cross genre and hopefully we'd learn something about writing mysteries. I tried it before on my own, but I don't know if I screwed up and made some unpardonable mistakes in the way I structured my story. Puma

Last edited:

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Now I am really pissed off with AW. This thing keeps kicking me off after to short a time. :Soapbox:

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse the font and word size. I am having a trouble with my laptop.

Anyway, I figured I should through in my opinions here.

1 - Keep up with the monthly prompts, the discussion and new threads in the western forum so the genre stays on the sites radar.
I would agree with this as being our first priority. We have done pretty good so far and we need to keep these prompts going.

2 - Come Jan (or Feb if Jan is to close to Xmas) organize a western writing competition. The competition would run in the same way as most on site competitions (anyone can enter; set close date and word count; judged by the sites members) and I think it essential to have a proper prize for it rather than pure kudos.

I will be happy to put up a prize - book token, western book, Dvd's -- that sort of thing to the value of 50 dollars and it would be great if other people would put up a 25 dollar and a 12.5 dollar donation for second and third places.

The competition would, with the help of donations, mod support and member support, certainly get people interested and aware of the genre and, after the competition is done, might even get people writing and critting a genre they would never have thought about before.
A contest would be a good idea, but to start with it should be kudos to the first, second, and third place winners. A prize should be reserved for a more professionally organized competition for web-site or magazine, not for AW.
If you like to further discuss the idea of a spring western writing competition, Harry, PM me.
3 - We should start a Western Writers group. You know the sort of thing -- it's a message board that is sort of behind the scenes. The benefits of something like this is that the genre comes to peoples attention by invite. Once there, everyone will have a chance to engage in discussion of the genre -- in all its facets -- and people who want to give it a go will find people interested in the way they want to write and learn there are many different ways and avenues for them to engage with the genre.
The main western forum and SYW threads are our Western Writing group ain’t it?

4 - We should try to contact -- in a way that isn't creepy, amateur or just plain weird (which means it shouldn't be me that does it) -- authors, publishers and agents who write and are involved in the western genre and ask them to guest -- or write something inspirational (yes, I know that sounds awful) -- on site for those interested in the genre. This level of professional insight and interest will surely grab some attention, get people involved and not only show the genre isn't dead but also show it is a genre that a living (however meager) can be made in.
It would be worth looking into Harry, for like next year at some point.

5 - We should instigate a cultural exchange of genres on site. By this I mean we should not only swap some prompts with other genres (we write in theirs, they in ours) but also try to get some of the more statuesque and published writers on site to write or crit our stuff. You know, sort of critter/writer of the month type deal.
I’ve been trying this for sometime now, with little success. I hope that you have better luck.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I am sure we could find a willing mod who has absolutely no intention or wish of entering the contest.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, I wouldn't mind handling the vote-counting, etc. I've been following along with this thread in order to shamelessly steal your ideas to see if I can adapt any of the ideas here for the Flash Fiction room. I try to vary the prompts used in the monthly challenges there, and I know there was at least one Western one, and no one complained. :) Where possible, I try to post prompts from upcoming themed issues of paying markets. If you know of any Western markets that accept short fiction, I'll add it to our market list, and I'll direct the FF writers your way in case they fancy taking part in your challenges.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Dan. I think I'm with you that kudos should be enough for a contest.

And thank you for the offer, Sophia. Shamelessly stealing our ideas - hunh? S'okay. On the markets, we have a fairly extensive list as a sticky here in western, but always looking for more. Puma

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Now I am really pissed off with AW. This thing keeps kicking me off after to short a time. :Soapbox:

Try clearing your browser cache and about the font size changing , check your internet browser tool box to make sure it's in the default font and size.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a little busy so have missed a few responses and aim to catch here. Apologies for the long post. :)

On my contest, my idea was to have people put their responses to the contest up in SYW here so they could get comments and have plenty of time for clean-up and re-writes. Then, come July if they wanted to enter the contest they should have a piece in fairly decent shape to submit.

Sounds good, but I still think a feb time on site competition would be a perfect way to get more interest in the genre and prepare new writers of Western for the main, off-site, event.

A contest would be a good idea, but to start with it should be kudos to the first, second, and third place winners. A prize should be reserved for a more professionally organized competition for web-site or magazine, not for AW.

Sure, a no prize thing sounds fine (and cheaper) to me. But will it have the same draw? Maybe not, but I feel what you are saying. At this stage for fun should be the main deal type deal.

The main western forum and SYW threads are our Western Writing group ain’t it?

Yup. The benefit of the sub group was the buzz it creates by having users invited to it. This is something I'll hold fire on for now. :)

It would be worth looking into Harry, for like next year at some point.

Agreed. Like the writers sub-forum, I'll hold fire for now.

I’ve been trying this for sometime now, with little success. I hope that you have better luck.

Well, was just getting ideas out there at the moment. But I think, with all of us working together, we might be able to get something going.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, I wouldn't mind handling the vote-counting ..

Much obliged, ma'am. This would be a massive help and greatly appreciated by everyone involved. Obviously, we don't have anything finalized at the moment but your offer makes getting thing organized so much easier. Thank you and hopefully we'll be able to come to you with a more solid timescale soon. :)

I try to vary the prompts used in the monthly challenges there, and I know there was at least one Western one, and no one complained. :)

Well, dagnabbit, I done missed it! I think this is one of the problems both Western and Flash and any other less viewed forums are facing. People, including my badself, don't tend to wander outside of their genre to have a look-see to whats going on.

Perhaps each genre needs a thread that other genres can come and post in to advertise a cross-over prompt? I'd thought about doing this before, but thought just posting in another genre might seem a little spammy without dedicated thread.

Anyways, just an idea -- certainly in the future if the flash fiction does crossover come let us know over here in this thread. :)

So, hopefully, in summary. :)

I think the general feeling is to hold of on the more outreaching aspects of widening the genre until the new year and then introduce them gradually.

As for the competition. I'm all for a 'for fun' competition to be announced Feb 2012 and to have a close date of of the end of that month. Further details of the hows and the whats and wherefores can be worked out when we agree on the date.

After that we can then work on the off site competition based prompts Puma has in mind. Sound about right?

Whaddya'll think? Did I mention everything? :)

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
I would be interested in the for fun competition. Even though I'm inexperienced, it could be a great experience. Should we have a poll about having a poll for our yet-to-be-announced future contest? :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Should we have a poll about having a poll for our yet-to-be-announced future contest? :)

Lolorama. :)

I should think a post from those active in the western genre stating their preference should suffice -- and when that goes the wrong way, we'll just go for February. Hopefully. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
We're rolling towards the last third of November. 'Bout time for someone to step forward and volunteer to pick a prompt / topic for December. Who's up? Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Snap, Puma. :)

I was just thinking the self-same-thing. But with no-one volunteering -- I'll forward Dave Hardy.

What say you, sir? Are you up for setting the December prompt? :)

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Since December is Christmas or which ever Holiday one chooses to abserve, I think the prompt should have a Holiday theme.

It would even be a good idea to get some of the history folks involved in this one. Lets see how Christmas was celebrated both in the mythical and historical old west.

Any thoughts?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That's a thought, Dan. Maybe winter holiday or celebration. I'd be okay with that. Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Winter holiday or celebration, puma. I like that. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Any cowpunchers have any problems with Dan's and my suggestion for winter holiday or celebration as the prompt for December? Puma

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Snap, Puma. :)

I was just thinking the self-same-thing. But with no-one volunteering -- I'll forward Dave Hardy.

What say you, sir? Are you up for setting the December prompt? :)

Huh, what? Did someone mention my name? Eek. It looks like Dan headed 'em off at the pass. I've been checking in, but my efforts lately are geared toward editing a novel to get it shipshape for submission. Sorry if I've been a bit inattentive on the prompt front.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, what? Did someone mention my name? Eek. It looks like Dan headed 'em off at the pass. I've been checking in, but my efforts lately are geared toward editing a novel to get it shipshape for submission. Sorry if I've been a bit inattentive on the prompt front.

No worries, DH. :)

I was trying to cycle through each of the writers posting so that each of us took a turn in creating the prompt. However, as December is, or so I've heard, all about the holidays, perhaps -- if you're not to busy -- you could do the honours for January and regdog and I can take February and March.

Harry, who likes to plan ahead. :)