Epub issues are driving me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JillianneHamilton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jillianne-hamilton.com
(I already posted this in the self-publishing forum. No, you're not seeing double. Hoping to get some fresh eyes on it here.)

I decided to tackle ebook formatting myself since I have coding experience and I've been wrestling with it while waiting for my copyeditor to send my MS back to me.

My Kindle/Mobi file came back error-free when I compiled it in Kindle Previewer and it works/looks great on the iPad Kindle app. I don't have a Kindle so I can't check it on there. I will likely get someone to check for me when I have my actual book in there and not just empty chapters.

I followed J. Thorn's ebook formatting book for the next step- convert your functioning mobi to an epub using Calibre. I did this. It works OKAY but there are 2 things that are driving me nuts:

1) In the iPad Kobo app, everything looks good but the bottom chunk of the cover overlaps onto the next page. (Everything else works fine here.)

2) On a Kobo Vox, the cover doesn't even show up. It shows up fine in the Library but there's just an empty square where the cover image should be. On the page after the empty square, there is just a grey line at the top and nothing else. In the table of contents, there's an added "titlepage" which directs to the empty square. Below "titlepage," I have "Title Page" which is a page that I made myself, featuring a small book cover image, my ISBN and copyright info.

I'd love to get this figured out. I know these aren't MAJOR ebook formatting issues, but I'm pretty anal and putting out a professional-looking product is a priority for me.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
Though my first book is not yet released, I've not seen the formatting issues you describe by simply running my output through ePubCheck

http://validator.idpf.org

I've been warned not to be overly aggressive with formatting, as all eReaders sort of do their own thing anyway.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.