Critique my cover art

sreeves2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
So I'm new at this, and I've compiled some stock photos and whatnot for book covers (I'm not profiting from these, btw, I just made them for practice), so let me know what you think!
Also, these are (or at least I hope) formatted for eBooks!

X2ZA577.jpg

iEI1ve4.jpg

AE3YPhg.jpg

C. Eldon Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
I like them! I think the pictures are gorgeous. The only thing I would change is the placement of your name in the second one. I think it would look more symmetrical and balanced if you centered it at the top instead.

sreeves2

Registered
Reaction score
I like them! I think the pictures are gorgeous. The only thing I would change is the placement of your name in the second one. I think it would look more symmetrical and balanced if you centered it at the top instead.

Hmmm yeah, I totally see what you mean! I think that's actually where I wanted to place the name at first but changed my mind - whoops! But I feel like the lighter colors of the background contrast better with the words as opposed to the darker ones. Thanks for the insight!

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
Try to avoid outlines on your text. Not only do they start looking weird at smaller(thumbnail) sizes, but it really makes the text stand out in a bad way. A little extra work tweaking the tone of the image behind the text, the color of the text, or its placement will usually let you achieve that contrast you are looking at. Without "boxing" in your letters.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
The images are all nicely chosen, but the lettering is a bit "brutal", especially in the first 2. It kinda works in the third, but in 1 and 2 I'd try to get rid of the outline, and make the text less bold, perhaps also smaller and a little bit translucent so the image shines through. I might also change to something more cursive and elegant in the first one. It may also help to choose less extreme colors; I try to avoid the use of actual black or white and likewise, I try to desaturate the reds and yellows a bit to make them less flashy.
All in all, the lettering is very sensational, if you will.

Last edited: