Girls must speak first.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If you have a small college or graduate-level seminar, perhaps there's no need to raise a hand. But if you have a large class, having people just shout things out during a lecture would be chaos.

ETA:

This is anecdotal, but I've never noticed any particular reluctance on the part of women or girls in classes I've been in to speak up. I was always pretty active in class discussions, and I've been in plenty where the women seemed to do most of the talking.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a small college or graduate-level seminar, perhaps there's no need to raise a hand. But if you have a large class, having people just shout things out during a lecture would be chaos.

True, it's not always practical in larger classes. Of course, smaller class sizes are almost always preferable for a number of reasons, but it's not always possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
True, it's not always practical in larger classes. Of course, smaller class sizes are almost always preferable for a number of reasons, but it's not always possible.

I think hand-raising can be a fairly effective method, as long as it's used with discretion and not automatically, and solely.

LeighAnderson

Escape from this painting of a life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leighandersonromance.com
Hmm...the person who started this thread and has taken a vehement approach against it has a male name. Interesting.

Railing against policies that make women a priority is a rather typical response. Believing that giving women more spaces to express themselves somehow will hurt and diminish men is also a typical response.

Cornflake is right, there is so much more going on here than just women not raising their hands.

When white, able-bodied men dominate a conversation, women, minorities, and people with disabilities are less likely to join in. But if the marginalized voices are heard first, which encourages all voices to join in, there is nothing stopping the men from also coming in and joining the conversation as well. It possibly creates more balance in the classroom.

In my classes (7+ years teaching experience at the university level), it isn't about who raises their hand first. I don't care if you are the first one to always raise your hand, that doesn't mean you will always (or ever) be called on. Students have a much more difficult time hearing silence than I do. The longer I wait, the more hands will come up, and the more women/minorities/or just people who don't talk much will raise their hands.

LeighAnderson

Escape from this painting of a life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leighandersonromance.com
This is anecdotal, but I've never noticed any particular reluctance on the part of women or girls in classes I've been in to speak up. I was always pretty active in class discussions, and I've been in plenty where the women seemed to do most of the talking.

What was your major? That might have something to do with it. I was also always very outspoken in my classes, but I was an English major, a field pretty dominated by women. Perhaps women in STEM majors have a much larger problems with this.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
What was your major? That might have something to do with it. I was also always very outspoken in my classes, but I was an English major, a field pretty dominated by women. Perhaps women in STEM majors have a much larger problems with this.

English major undergrad, and then I went to law school. Law school seemed to be about 50/50 men/women, though I don't know the exact statistics.

In high school and middle school, the best, most enthusiastic students in my class were girls, including the valedictorians (we had more than one). I haven't seen this shrinking violet phenomenon.

Eta:

I'm female, and I'm vehemently against the approach as well.

Eta:

If you care so much about having each person participate equally, you can do what one of my law school professors did -- he cold-called, and he kept track. Everyone came to his class prepared, and sooner or later everyone spoke. (Of course you could also offer up a question or comment when you were not called on, but you couldn't hide in the back of the room and never speak.)

Oddly enough, he was one of my favorite and most engaging professors.

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
In high school and middle school, the best, most enthusiastic students in my class were girls, including the valedictorians (we had more than one). I haven't seen this shrinking violet phenomenon.
Couple of comments to this - first, it's not just a question of the elite students, who can often advocate for themselves just fine. Second, use of the term 'shrinking violet' seems to imply this is the fault of female students rather than the sociological factors that have been identified in numerous studies (which have been linked previously in the thread).

I don't think for a minute the solution proffered in the OP is helpful or right, but I do think this is a case where it's important to consider data instead of anecdotes.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I said nothing about "fault.". I don't think it's a real problem. All the studies I've seen show that girls/women do better in school than boys/men. Which backs up my admittedly anecdotal observations.

Eta:

Not that it matters, but I didn't go to an " elite" school for middle or high school. I was a public school kid.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the perception in class is due to the ingrained social belief that men are "supposed" to lead. When girls outperform the boys, it's seen as a problem because it challenges that belief.

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I'm not talking about elite schools, I'm talking about non-elite students wherever they happen to be.

I realize you don't think it's a problem, and I realize that presently, girls and women are doing better in school, but that's not the issue being discussed here.

eta: There's another study I'm trying to find wherein the researchers showed that in a professional environment, the study participants perceived gender parity starting at around 17% female, but my google fu is failing (as is my memory on the details.). Will share it if I can find.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I also think it's a faulty assumption that one must be assertive and talkative in class to get the most out of it. Many of the best students I've known have been introverts. They aren't intimidated, and they are engaged in the material -- they simply don't care to speak up in class. And I don't see a problem with that.

I do think it's a problem if you have a teacher or boss who favors one sex or one race over another. But that would include this "solution."

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I also think it's a faulty assumption that one must be assertive and talkative in class to get the most out of it. Many of the best students I've known have been introverts. They aren't intimidated, and they are engaged in the material -- they simply don't care to speak up in class. And I don't see a problem with that.
Agree with this.

Though that said, while it's a valid choice for some students, it's the result of issues within the classroom environment for others. Unfortunately, there are no easy or one-size solutions, and certainly not the one in the OP.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Agree with this.

Though that said, while it's a valid choice for some students, it's the result of issues within the classroom environment for others. Unfortunately, there are no easy or one-size solutions, and certainly not the one in the OP.

I think it's an issue that should be discussed in education classes so that teachers are at least aware of the atmosphere they create, and double over backwards not to alienate or intimidate any students.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I said nothing about "fault.". I don't think it's a real problem. All the studies I've seen show that girls/women do better in school than boys/men. Which backs up my admittedly anecdotal observations.

No it doesn't. Your anecdotal observations were presented as being about participation, not performance. And interestingly, when I Googled "female class participation", a number of the studies citing disparities were specifically about law school, in both regular search and Google Scholar.

We have another thread about the disparity between women's academic performance and participation in the workplace. It seems to me there is a similar disparity between women's academic performance and classroom participation. I think that's worth further investigation and probably change.

(A similar disparity exists with other underrepresented minorities, too. One of our new professors is studying this problem with Native American students in K-12 classrooms. Most teachers don't even realize they're doing it.)

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm...the person who started this thread and has taken a vehement approach against it has a male name. Interesting.

Interesting because... men shouldn't have opinions on the topic? Men are unqualified to form opinions on the topic?

Railing against policies that make women a priority is a rather typical response. Believing that giving women more spaces to express themselves somehow will hurt and diminish men is also a typical response.

I'm sorry, I missed the post where anyone suggested that "giving women more spaces to express themselves somehow will hurt and diminish men." All I saw was some disagreement with the idea of automatically calling on girls first in class, both on ethical grounds and on the basis that not everyone agrees that women don't have that space.

If you're prioritizing one group over another, yes, you are diminishing the second group. Now you can argue that this is necessary, that it's a correction of historical injustice, that the ways in which men dominate other spaces compensate for being marginalized in a compensatory fashion in classrooms, but you cannot say that it's just "opening up space" for women without an impact on men, at least not in this particular instance.

Also, I think your use of the words "vehement" and "railing" are laden with inaccurate implications.

When white, able-bodied men dominate a conversation, women, minorities, and people with disabilities are less likely to join in. But if the marginalized voices are heard first, which encourages all voices to join in, there is nothing stopping the men from also coming in and joining the conversation as well. It possibly creates more balance in the classroom.

Possibly. Possibly it just creates a pecking order in which the value of your opinion is recognized according to where you rank in some hierarchy of marginalization.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think the idea could work in some instances. Like affirmative action, it's not an ideal solution, but it can be an effective one if it becomes necessary.

In most cases, I don't think it's a good idea. But it could be appropriate in a class on women's studies or feminism, for example.

When one of the professors I know taught a women's studies course, she noticed men made up less than 1/3 of the class, but did more than 2/3 of the talking.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
. And interestingly, when I Googled "female class participation", a number of the studies citing disparities were specifically about law school, in both regular search and Google Schoool.

Anecdotal, of course, but this was absolutely not true at my law school.

All three years I was there, the editor in chief of the law review was a female. So was the editor in chief of the international law review my last two years. The women and minority students were extremely vocal in class. Granted, my law school was elite and very liberal, which might well make a difference.

I may also have a bias here because I tended to be one of the dominant participants in every class I've been in since kindergarten.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anecdotal, of course, but this was absolutely not true at my law school.

I don't doubt that. I used to think statistics was a far more egalitarian field until I started visiting other statistics departments. Turns out ours is rather unique in its diversity, and it was not easy task getting it there.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I don't doubt that. I used to think statistics was a far more egalitarian field until I started visiting other statistics departments. Turns out ours is rather unique in its diversity, and it was not easy task getting it there.

Yes, I do believe it could differ a lot from school to school.

I chose my school after visiting several; it was pretty much entirely based on the dynamic, lively discussions I saw in class and had with students while I was there. I never thought of the sexist angle -- it just seemed like everyone was so engaged, and I loved that.

Perhaps, if this is different from other schools, we need to look at what some schools are doing better than others in encouraging this kind of atmosphere.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

Interesting as well that you know very little about the extraordinarily handsome male who started this thread.

You may be interested to know that he has a wife who holds her tongue for no man, including him. He's also helped raise two very intelligent, independent minded young ladies who would never tolerate being given the backseat to anyone.

This policy isn't about helping women. It's about deciding that women should 'speak first'. Because, y'know a girl can't ever hold their own in a discussion without a policy in place to protect them, right?

I know there's sexism out there. I've witnessed it when I've gone car shopping or house hunting or other such things with my wife and people talk to me, the male and not my wife the docile female who is supposed to talk first and make the decision. I usually sit back and watch my docile wife make mincemeat out of 'em. We had dealings once with a shady landlord, my wife literally had him in tears when we were done. She don't need me fighting her battles. I'll be happy to hold her coat while she beats up the bullies and just look pretty.

Cornflake is right, there is so much more going on here than just women not raising their hands.

I never said it was about just girls not raising their hands. But if we're talking about a classroom setting, it does come down to girls either not participating and the reasons why (Which quite frankly, it's insulting to assume that all girls who don't participate do so for the same reason) or teachers who don't give them equal chance to participate.

It has nothing to do with the male students who want to participate. And telling those boys that what they have to say isn't worth hearing, isn't that important, that they're doing something wrong by raising their hand because their 'boys' is wrong headed and will simply create new problems and not help solve the ones it's purported to even address.

A good teacher shouldn't let any one group dominate a conversation. Randomization calling on kids might be an answer in some cases. One teacher at my girls school uses a computer program that picks kids at random. Which is fun for them when their in his class together. But that doesn't deal with the individual reasons why a kid might not want to talk in class. Maybe they don't like speaking in front of the class. (Something that happen to boys and girls) maybe they stutter. Maybe they don't know the answer because they're not very good at the subject. Maybe they don't know the question because they're daydreaming.

Maybe instead having policies that make it a point to divide things into boys vs. girls we should look at the individual students and develop policies that address their individual issues.

If a girl sitting in class is told the big strong boys can't talk unless she speaks first, how is that helping her feel confident about expressing herself?

No voice should be marginalized. The idea that the way to stop marginalizing once kind of voice is to start marginalizing another, which is exactly what the people quoted are saying, is just plain stupid.

That's like saying the way to address discrimination against a group, whether it's because of race, gender, sexual orientation or favorite football team is to take the bad things done to that group and do it to the group it's not done to. It's not. That will only further the divide.

In my classes (7+ years teaching experience at the university level), it isn't about who raises their hand first. I don't care if you are the first one to always raise your hand, that doesn't mean you will always (or ever) be called on. Students have a much more difficult time hearing silence than I do. The longer I wait, the more hands will come up, and the more women/minorities/or just people who don't talk much will raise their hands.

Are you saying that if a boy sits in your class and always raises his hand first to answer a question that should be held against him? Because he prepared and eager to participate in class. I would never suggest you should always call on him first. But I don't see that raising your hand when the teacher asks a question is a bad thing and should be encouraged. And sending him the message that he's wrong to raise his hand is wrong. I'll assume that's not what you're saying.

My wife is a teacher for about a dozen years. Different grade levels. She understands that different kids need different things and for different reasons.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the male students who want to participate. And telling those boys that what they have to say isn't worth hearing, isn't that important, that they're doing something wrong by raising their hand because their 'boys' is wrong headed and will simply create new problems and not help solve the ones it's purported to even address.

I do think some students need to learn sometimes they need to listen and consider the perspectives of their peers rather than focus on their own. But as I mentioned above, that tends to apply to some classes more than others (e.g. gender or race studies, etc.).