VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
http://www.geocities.com/inquisitive79/fallacies.html#ignorantianEDIT:

As the list above has disappeared, I thought I'd replace it with this:

Wikipedia: List of Fallacies

Wikipedia is not, of course, a primary source, but it does give you something to go on.

--Roger Carlson

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 42

The author of the Geocities link is err ... relying rather too heavily on Chaim Perelman and L. Olbrechts-Tyca's The New Rhetoric: A Treatise On Argumentation.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
The Letterman Award!

Does this mean we can simply write the number as a response to identify one of those fallacies when it is posted? ;)

LOL! I really appreciate the site and info. Thanks Mac, et al thingybobbers and bobberettes.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
How come most of those links point to posts of mine?

Dikaiopolis

Registered
Reaction score
S-o-o-o-o many "Guides to Fallacies" on the Net...

As a thumbnail guide, this is one of the better ones. I was a little surprised at how short a list it is.

But I really have to wonder what the author meant when he wrote:

"False Dichotomy or Excluded Middle is when the extreme ends of a continuum with intermediate possibilities."

As authors, we should recognize this as "not even a sentence" right away. The more clever among us will be able to figure out how to fix it by assuming three missing words.

But I would rather rewrite it completely, following the example of The Fallacy Files (http://www.fallacyfiles.org/) and say:

"False Dichotomy is the fallacious reasoning that there are only two possibilities, while in fact there are many other possibilities, all of which are ignored by the reasoning".

I also have to point out that not all authors on fallacies admit that there is a distinction between the "either/or" and the "false dichotomy" fallacies. Some (e.g. http://www.fallacyfiles.org/archive102006.html) really do use the terms as synonyms.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My covers been blown. Does this mean from now on the monkey wrench I throw into the works must be a logical monkey wrench?

feeblepizza

kinda human mostly cat
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Now I can simply point out that logic is fallible whenever someone brings up logic.

Reaction score
I don't see one for reducing the argument.

Here's the kind of thing:

Hundreds of thousands of people are committing the crime of discrimination against certain minorities.

Then all of a sudden it becomes: nah it's just one person.

Or you use a person who is an authority in his field with very impressive credentials as an example to counteract a claim of "all scientists actually believe this" to show them they're wrong.

Then suddenly it becomes: "But that's only one person".

And here's a peculiar one I've come across that a friend of mine loves to use on me.

Friend: asks question on science.
Me: I don't know:
Friend: and neither can science.

Is that a logical fallacy? If it is, which one is it? At the very least I know these are bs tactics that is meant to turn the argument against one in order to "win" the argument.