Bill Cosby: America's Favorite Dad...and Rapist?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get that he wants to save his reputation, his legacy, but the weight of evidence and public opinion is against him right now (and probably always will be). Why is he still performing, trying to get back on the air? Is he having financial problems, do you think?

Because if I had his ear, I'd tell him to get out of the public eye for a year or more. Take a trip to someplace quiet or someplace far away.
He knows he's a draw. That proposed series would probably be on the air and he'd have larger crowds at his stand-up shows to see him perform, rather than protest him. Right now, he probably thinks he's doing damage control by performing: "Look at me! I'm forging ahead! I'm not letting these allegations get me down! Do I really look like a rapist to you?" That sort of thing. I have a feeling, however, it might not be having quite the effect he's hoping for.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I have a feeling, however, it might not be having quite the effect he's hoping for.
See, I think it obviously isn't.

He's not Charlies Sheen, who is simply a narcissistic dumbass, and Sheen's PR efforts were pretty pathetic. Cosby has a much tougher mountain to climb and I would think that he realize he's not getting anywhere. But I guess maybe that speaks to a larger problem for celeb-types (and others), who need to have fans.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
**snipped -- I can't imagine he's got financial problems given Cosby residuals and the endless standup.

As to why he's still performing - this stuff was booked ages ago. If he pulls out it's like saying he's guilty, which he clearly has no intention of doing, and I really don't know how he'd come back if he did just drop his bookings to go away for a while.

Most people who do that kind of thing based on something this serious have dealt with the problem in some way first. I'm actually trying to think of someone who's done something close to this and all I've got are accidents in which people died or stuff, which aren't the same thing.

Robert Downey Jr. (I'm in no way suggesting drug crimes and stuff like breaking and entering without malice are in any way equivalent to assaulting and raping, or being accused of assaulting and raping people. He just did stuff that got him in serious legal trouble) served time, then went away for a bit, then came back all reformed and thoughtful about it.

I don't think someone can really be accused of this much, by this many people, enough of whom are seen as credible and with nothing to gain, and just go away for a year and come back as if nothing happened. -- snipped**

Google Roscoe "Fatty' Arbuckle. Or:

http:/www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-skinny-on-the-fatty-arbuckle-trial-131228859/

The difference here is Cosby's situation is ongoing; Arbuckle’s is now historical fact. Both are similar, however, given that accusations are unsubstantiated charges until proven in court. The potential parallel here is the outcome of Arbuckle's case. If Cosby is found guilty his legacy is over. If found innocent the same result is likely to apply given historical statistics of public opinion.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I don't think someone can really be accused of this much, by this many people, enough of whom are seen as credible and with nothing to gain, and just go away for a year and come back as if nothing happened.
Oh, I don't think that at all. But he could disappear from the public eye for a while and at least not make things worse, which is what he is doing now.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get that he wants to save his reputation, his legacy, but the weight of evidence and public opinion is against him right now (and probably always will be). Why is he still performing, trying to get back on the air? Is he having financial problems, do you think?

Because if I had his ear, I'd tell him to get out of the public eye for a year or more. Take a trip to someplace quiet or someplace far away.

And then what?

Cosby is at a stage of his life where he's not going on stage because he needs the money. He doesn't even need the scuttled TV projects. Cosby's estimated net worth is $400 million, so nobody's going to have to worry he'll be down to beans and wienies.

So why now of all times go onstage? The Cosby brand of humor is toxic. No advertiser wants to be associated with him and no network wants to make deals when him. So why when his image couldn't be worse does Cosby pick now as the time go out and tell jokes?

Because that's what he does and if it looks tone deaf, insensitive, thoughtless and ultimately futile, it doesn't appear he gives a shit. Who's gonna tell Bill Cosby he can't do what he damn well pleases?

Doing what he pleased heedless of the consequences is how he got to this place in his life. It's too late to turn back now.

He knows he's a draw. That proposed series would probably be on the air and he'd have larger crowds at his stand-up shows to see him perform, rather than protest him. Right now, he probably thinks he's doing damage control by performing: "Look at me! I'm forging ahead! I'm not letting these allegations get me down! Do I really look like a rapist to you?" That sort of thing. I have a feeling, however, it might not be having quite the effect he's hoping for.

As I said before, it is very difficult to get an old man to change his ways. Bill Cosby is an old man whose ways are evil as hell but he's not explaining, not apologizing and not changing.

All the rest of us can do is acknowledge who we thought Cosby was is not who Cosby really is and go from there.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
As much as I hate to say it, there's still a not-insignificant portion of the population who thinks rape is a joke.

Maybe he's decided they're his audience.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
As much as I hate to say it, there's still a not-insignificant portion of the population who thinks rape is a joke.

Maybe he's decided they're his audience.
I don't think so. I think it's more his way of saying I'm innocent, and I'm not going to let these unfounded allegations change my life or what I do. Disappearing from public life might in his mind be viewed as a tacit admission of guilt.

Another thing that has occurred to me is that with the double digit figures of women accusing him, and the additional women coming forward, there could be along the way someone who just wants to get in on the act for financial or other reasons. And if just one accuser could be shown to be lying, that would be a huge boost to him and his legal team, and provide significant cover for those who don't want to believe any of the women.

"See? We've proved this woman is a liar, so doesn't that make you think twice about the rest of them?"

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's sad that he perpetuates the "non-seriousness" of rape. Aren't women fighting hard enough to be taken seriously?

As for the people in the audience, my only guess is that:

1. They're at a Bill Cosby speaking event. They're probably not buying into the rape allegations.

2. Those who think he's a rapist or might be on the line (and still decided to consciously go watch him perform), might have been looking for something to help them deny. Even here, on this board, many people spoke about this whole deal being a struggle to believe at first. I imagine some folks just need a reason to disbelieve the rape accusations.

jari_k

Registered
Reaction score
I've continued reading the various stories on the internet, as they appear. Oddly enough, I think most people (who comment) believe Bill Cosby. The woman are dismissed as being attention-seeking, old (and therefore supposedly of no human value, I guess), money-grubbing fame whores.

Since so many do still believe in Dr. Huxtable, it may make sense for Bill Cosby to joke about it. Sort of a "those women are crazy. Can you believe what they tried to do to me? Well, I'll be strong and laugh about it, good guy that I am."

As for his conscience and how he feels about what he's done? The only way I can imagine he justifies it is some kind of archaic idea that these women really wanted him, really wanted to be raped, insane as that sounds.

There are still plenty of comments to that effect on these stories, too. "Oh yeah, they wanted him, and now they see a chance to make money."

Sick stuff.

P.S. One article did mention something that would be a smoking gun, though. His drug connection. Even if that came out, I think he'd still have plenty of supporters. They can't let go of the image.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Cosby heckled at Canada show

Hecklers stood up and chanted repeatedly "we believe the women" at Bill Cosby's third and final performance of a Canadian tour Friday night.

The hecklers then marched out of the theater as the 77-year-old comedian asked his audience not to react.

Cosby is facing growing sexual assault allegations from more than 15 women, with some claims dating back decades. He has denied the allegations through his lawyer and has never been charged.

The walk-out during Friday's show came a day after a man at Cosby's performance in London, Ontario, called the comedian "a rapist."

It also took place just minutes after Cosby acknowledged the controversy that has followed him throughout his three-city Canadian tour.

"Whatever happens here tonight if there's some sort of outburst, we just have to remain calm and things will be taken care of. It oughtn't last that long," he said.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
For a number of reasons I would expect Leno to take Cosby's side.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Bill Cosby accused of drugging, raping former Hollywood executive Cindra Ladd:

Philanthropist and former entertainment executive Cindra Ladd wrote an op-ed on Monday accusing Bill Cosby of drugging and raping her back in 1969. The embattled comedian has now been accused of rape, sexual assault or drugging by approximately 30 women, with many of them only coming forward in recent months.

“It was obvious to me that he had had sex with me,” she wrote in a Huffington Post blog. “I was horrified, embarrassed and ashamed. There was a mirror above the bed, which shocked me further.”

Ladd, wife of Oscar-winning Hollywood producer Alan Ladd Jr. (“Blade Runner”), said she met Cosby while he was married and she was a single, 21-year-old New York City resident. She said she gave him her number willingly and the two started hanging out, eating hot dogs together and sharing pizza.

One night they were supposed to see a movie, but she said she had a “terrible headache.” He offered her a pill.

“I asked a couple of times what it was,” she wrote. “Each time he reassured me, asking, ‘Don’t you trust me?’ Of course I did. This was Bill Cosby.”

After that, she said her memory was a blur. She vaguely recalled watching a Japanese samurai movie, but not much else.

“I don’t remember where the theater was nor very much of the evening,” she wrote. “What I do recall, vividly and clearly, is waking up the next morning nude in the bed of his friend’s apartment and seeing Cosby wearing a white terrycloth bathrobe and acting as if there was nothing unusual.”

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've had more mental pictures now of Bill Cosby in various bathrobes that I would have ever guessed.

What a pig.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
At this point, I don't see how even Cosby's wife and kids can be in denial. His lawyers are going to have a hard time painting upwards of 30 women -- including victims as well-known as Cindra Ladd and Beverly Johnson -- as all being opportunistic lying schemers.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
At this point, I don't see how even Cosby's wife and kids can be in denial. His lawyers are going to have a hard time painting upwards of 30 women -- including victims as well-known as Cindra Ladd and Beverly Johnson -- as all being opportunistic lying schemers.

It is a difficult situation for his close family to be in.

What bothers me is the number of other people ignoring all evidence.

When a person says that X is proof that Cosby must be innocent, and then the exact opposite of X is proven, if they then say that the opposite of X is proof that Cosby must be innocent, one can only conclude that they are not honestly interested in examining any evidence.