2016 Presidential Candidates: I Wanna Be Elected!

Ladies and Gentlmen, Choose Your Contenders!

• V.P. Joe Biden (D)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Former Sec of State Hillary Clinton (D)

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Sen. Joe Manchin (D)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gov. Martin O' Malley (D)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Sen. Bernie Sanders (Independent)

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D)

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Former Sen. Jim Webb (D)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Former Gov. Jeb Bush (R)

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Dr. Ben Carson (R)

• Gov. Chris Christie (R)

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sen. Ted Cruz (R)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Former Gov. Mike Huckabee (R)

• Gov. Bobby Jindal (R)

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Gov. John Kasich (R)

• Sen. Rand Paul (R)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Gov. Rick Perry (R)

• Former Gov. Mitt Romney (R)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Sen. Marco Rubio (R)

• Rep. Paul Ryan (R)

• Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R)

• Gov. Scott Walker (R)

• Unnamed Candidate.

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be fun to have CassandraW running with Don as Vice President and Haskins running with Haggis as Vice President and nighttimer running with rugcat as Vice President. And then Diana Hignutt running with her choice of AWer for Vice President. Would that election get you excited about politics again?

What makes you think I want that lousy job? :Wha:

If nominated I will not run and if elected I will not serve and I'm sure everybody's gonna be pretty much okay with that.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really do believe this would result in a candidate less likely to be unapologetic about not knowing the name of the President of Becky-becky-stan. This can only be a Good Thing.

Hey Ben, you wanna be my VP? For some reason I get to pick my own...I like our chances...did you see the other losers running? Pfft.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I have no interest whatsoever in being a VP. Unless, that is, I get my own undisclosed location.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I really do believe this would result in a candidate less likely to be unapologetic about not knowing the name of the President of Becky-becky-stan. This can only be a Good Thing.

I was wondering how I got dragged into this. Then I went 'oh'. Thanks for re-activating my Herman Cain PTSD. :cry:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Pfft. I don't want to be president or VP. Diana and Ben can have it, as far as I'm concerned.

I say we take the campaign funds and party like vikings.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft. I don't want to be president or VP. Diana and Ben can have it, as far as I'm concerned.

As the newly elected President of AW, I promise total anarchy and free virtual popcorn...so, status quo basically....

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

Apparently whoever did the nominating has never read my profile, either.
If I ruled the world...
I'd abdicate
You're all free, dammit! Go do something productive!

As the newly elected President of AW, I promise total anarchy and free virtual popcorn...so, status quo basically....
Ah, so basically you'll be a puppet for the people who really own the machine, providing a thin democratic veneer of respectability to disguise and legitimize the real power behind the throne?

Status quo, indeed.

Last edited:

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Jeb Bush has now taken concrete steps toward and pretty much said he is throwing his hat into the ring.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously??? This is the best we can produce in this country??? :Shrug:
Nope. It's just the best that can make it through the gauntlet that is the two-party machine. Politics isn't structured for the cream of society to rise to the top. It's mostly turds that float.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Nope. It's just the best that can make it through the gauntlet that is the two-party machine. Politics isn't structured for the cream of society to rise to the top. It's mostly turds that float.
Last time around, the GOP had what, eight primary candidates? Candidates that had some basic intelligence and common sense, like Jon Huntsman, received maybe 2% of the vote in the primaries.

Everyone's favorite libertarian Gary Johnson was a clear option, but he barely registered at all in polls. Apart from a few outliers, no one was interested in voting for him.

The idiots we are electing get into office because the majority of people think they're just swell. The idea that there are some great people out there who could get elected if only they had a chance is a lovely idea, but it has no basis in reality.

A recent Los Angeles municipal election drew a turnout of 16%. Part of the reason might have been the "I don't bother to vote, it's all bullshit" crowd, but mostly it's not that people are feeling disenfranchised. It's not that they don't feel they have a real choice – they don't even have the faintest clue as to who is running or what those people represent, nor do they give a damn.

We really and truly have the government we deserve. The quality of our elected officials says a lot more about the American people than it does about anything else.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score

The party machines probably have less influence than they've ever had in selecting presidential nominees.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

This isn't a flaw in two-party systems. All those countries with multi-party systems and coalition governments are hardly known for producing superior statesmen.

It's a flaw in democracy.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
This isn't a flaw in two-party systems. All those countries with multi-party systems and coalition governments are hardly known for producing superior statesmen.

It's a flaw in democracy.
More than anything it's because intellectual thinkers with the most genuine motives with regards to improving their country and making things better for everyone in that country have little to no interest in gaining political power. In a democracy or absolute monarchy or military dictatorship or oligarchy or any form of gov't except maybe a Donocracy, when making your country a better place is your top priority you don't get into politics. And among the minority that do go into politics with that priority, for most the state inevitably changes that for them.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score

Bottom line Don, we got the best government money can buy.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Last time around, the GOP had what, eight primary candidates? Candidates that had some basic intelligence and common sense, like Jon Huntsman, received maybe 2% of the vote in the primaries.

Everyone's favorite libertarian Gary Johnson was a clear option, but he barely registered at all in polls. Apart from a few outliers, no one was interested in voting for him.

The idiots we are electing get into office because the majority of people think they're just swell. The idea that there are some great people out there who could get elected if only they had a chance is a lovely idea, but it has no basis in reality.

I don't know about that, Ron Paul did surprisingly well int he primaries considering even media figures like Jon Stewart had to admit he was being totally ignored in news coverage. And Ron Paul is a lot of things; lacking basic intelligence and common sense is not one of them.

A recent Los Angeles municipal election drew a turnout of 16%. Part of the reason might have been the "I don't bother to vote, it's all bullshit" crowd, but mostly it's not that people are feeling disenfranchised. It's not that they don't feel they have a real choice – they don't even have the faintest clue as to who is running or what those people represent, nor do they give a damn.

We really and truly have the government we deserve. The quality of our elected officials says a lot more about the American people than it does about anything else.
I am not sure that it is entirely about not giving a damn but also that, for many of them, when they try to get educated, all they have is pathetically partisan news and political forums that are built around die hard tribal loyalties and attempts to tell people that everything their own leaders do is awesome even when they do exactly the same stuff we howl at everyone else for doing. And the fact that viewers can't see how wondrously awesome their tribe is for the country is proof that they are just illiterate, ignorant buffoons. Being fed up with this is not quite the same as not bothering to care in the first place.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
More than anything it's because intellectual thinkers with the most genuine motives with regards to improving their country and making things better for everyone in that country have little to no interest in gaining political power. In a democracy or absolute monarchy or military dictatorship or oligarchy or any form of gov't except maybe a Donocracy, when making your country a better place is your top priority you don't get into politics. And among the minority that do go into politics with that priority, for most the state inevitably changes that for them.
To paraphrase an old saying: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, run for office so they can tell everybody else what to do."

Any political system attracts as candidates people who want to tell other people how to live, more than they want to do anything else in the whole world... more than they want to be artists or doctors or poets or business people or provide any valuable service to others in fair exchange for their best efforts. Elected office is for those who can't make it in the real world without heavy political pull helping them force their way to the top.

People who are busy living have more important things to do with their lives than busybody everybody else.
I am not sure that it is entirely about not giving a damn but also that, for many of them, when they try to get educated, all they have is pathetically partisan news and political forums that are built around die hard tribal loyalties and attempts to tell people that everything their own leaders do is awesome even when they do exactly the same stuff we howl at everyone else for doing. And the fact that viewers can't see how wondrously awesome their tribe is for the country is proof that they are just illiterate, ignorant buffoons. Being fed up with this is not quite the same as not bothering to care in the first place.
History as told today, by Court Historians in Government Schools, is the story of what Glorious Leaders fought which Wars to End All Wars.

In reality, history is the story of human progress, the story of inventors and artists and producers and philosophers, and most politicians should never get a mention.

Last edited:

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score

Well put, and it's amazing how many voters think that a turd has a clean end!

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about that, Ron Paul did surprisingly well int he primaries considering even media figures like Jon Stewart had to admit he was being totally ignored in news coverage. And Ron Paul is a lot of things; lacking basic intelligence and common sense is not one of them.

True, however, having met the man and having spent some time with him about ten years or so back during a straw pole, the guy has all of the "sex appeal" of dried day old oatmeal. And by sex appeal I'm referring to that old line that the MSM uses to push people to the fore front.

The reality is Ron Paul just isn't/wasn't sexy enough either through looks or controversy. Another words he's barely a blip on the ratings radar.

Which brings me to Romney who also has the sex appeal of day old stale oatmeal, I guess the controversy he had was his being Mormon.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ron Paul did surprisingly well int he primaries considering even media figures like Jon Stewart had to admit he was being totally ignored in news coverage. And Ron Paul is a lot of things; lacking basic intelligence and common sense is not one of them.

Ron Paul did "surprisingly well" in the primaries based on two things:

1. He commanded a narrow, but enthusiastic following.

2. He was competing against inmates of the Republican Klown Kar.

And I'd disagree with you about the "common sense" part of your comment.

Right now, it appears that the far right goonballs who call themselves Republicans aren't faring so well. The Republican Establishment seems to be re-emerging in strength, with people like Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney and John Kasich at the forefront. But they'll once again have a big passel of candidates at the beginning of things (Rand Paul, Scott Walker, Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz, ?Marco Rubio, ?Bobby Jindal, ?Rick Perry . . .)

Stay tuned.

caw

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Wild boar chili with a side of word salad :

“Yeah, I mean, of course, when you have a servant’s heart, when you know that there is opportunity to do all you can to put yourself forward in the name of offering service, anybody would be interested,” Palin told ABC News' Neal Karlinsky while serving wild boar chili to the homeless in Las Vegas Thursday.

When asked again if she could be “possibly” interested in a presidential campaign, she answered, “We definitely had enough of seeing that -- America has had enough of seeing that -- sign on the Oval Office door saying, 'No Girls Allowed.' I know that.”

Girls. Oy.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I created the poll, I very deliberately left the Wasilla Hillbilly out because I am confident she will never run for president. Palin's mammoth ego and grotesque sense of self-entitlement would never allow for her to go stand in a Iowa cow pasture at 5:00 am to shake the hand of a confused farmer with shit all over his boots.

Palin doesn't want to be president. She wants to threaten the Republican establishment that she might run for president. That threat is why we are discussing this vain and unimportant woman.

It's not happening. She couldn't stand the pay cut and she's got as much chance to be the nominee as Lonesome Joe Manchin.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"No girls allowed," in just that ironic tone, is pretty commonly used across the political spectrum because everyone understands it's being used ironically. I think it's a stretch to call it regressive here because it's Palin saying it.

Link showing that Palin understands irony?