State of the Union Address

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how this went down
As always, it was a powerful piece of oratory, but it was an important moment for LGBT groups especially. When speaking about human dignity, the President condemned “the persecution of women, or religious minorities, or people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender” — recognising lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people for the first time ever in a State of the Union.

“We do these things not only because they’re right, but because they make us safer,” he continued.

Read more at http://junkee.com/barack-obama-reco...riage-a-civil-right/49341#UWZYMh9afehgWcMu.99

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately we were out to dinner and missed the entire useless exercise.

The dinner was memorable.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, the SOTU is outdated and is just a platform for the sitting president to address his fangirls and fanboys, nothing more.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
When I heard a group of conservatives complaining, after the second election, about how Obama always sounds like he's campaigning, one of them pointed out "Why should he feel the need to stop? It's working for him isn't it? I mean, he's still president isn't he?" And his SOTU speech in the beginning immediately reminded me of that.

Anyone, and I do mean anyone, looking objectively can see that Democrats and liberals in general walk all over everyone else and just kick all their asses when it comes to being good communicators, speakers, salespeople and advertisers.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Yup. Something the left can't fathom: a conservative woman. Horrors!

(Note: I did not see either speech)

That's one of the silliest statements I've seen all day. And I've been watching Mermaid Beach MP Ray Stevens have a bit of a meltdown on camera. But it's only 3.30pm here, so it may yet be topped.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Yup. Something the left can't fathom: a conservative woman. Horrors!

(Note: I did not see either speech)
No, what's telling us that they chose one of the most conservative of their members, certainly the most conservative of the new ones to make the speech.

To me it says a lot about the direction the Republican Party wants to go.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the silliest statements I've seen all day. And I've been watching Mermaid Beach MP Ray Stevens have a bit of a meltdown on camera. But it's only 3.30pm here, so it may yet be topped.

Just havin' a bit of fun.
But Rugcat makes a good point that the GOP is conservative and wants everybody to know it. And maybe that the party has moved beyond Romney?

But a young, new, conservative, woman is quite a contrast to Ms. Clinton.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
It is true there's a bit of sexism involved in assessing a far right conservative woman.

It's like when you run across a woman who is a serial killer. We know they exist, although they are rare, but it still boggles the mind.
You could have just said a woman whose a carpenter or a lumberjack or a race car driver. You didn't have to put this particularly young woman in the same category as Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy or Ed Gein or Albert Fish.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
It is true there's a bit of sexism involved in assessing a far right conservative woman.

It's like when you run across a woman who is a serial killer. We know they exist, although they are rare, but it still boggles the mind.

Yeah, that's a bit of a low blow.

And my "fun" was better.

(I have another really good analogy, but I think I'll keep it to myself)

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, considering how the CURRENT REPUBLICAN PARTY is acting, I'm kind of shocked to find women supporting them.

Shocked...and a little depressed.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Iowa apologizes for her. Really.

Lol.

It's unfathomable how she won, with the whole State apologizing for her.

I wonder if Illinois is ever going to apologize for Obama...

But I find it hilarious, how a near-pointless SOTU and an accompanying response summons the long knives. WTF did Ernst say or do that was so awful? Seriously. You don't like her. Fair enough. You disagree with her politics. Fair enough. But she's a political novice when it comes to national politics. I thought she did fine for what was--again--a pointless exercise, by and large. She sounded way better than Rubio, imo

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, considering how the CURRENT REPUBLICAN PARTY is acting, I'm kind of shocked to find women human beings supporting them.

Shocked...and a little depressed.

FIFY.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Joni Who?

Please call all the nearest hospitals in Washington D.C. and put them on standby. There will be hundreds of Republicans coming in suffering from third-degree burns because Obama dropped the mic.

:flamethrower:flamethrower:flamethrower

Truth hurts, but life imitates art.

:rant::flag::hooray::censored:mob:e2tomato::e2moon::wag:

I think he may have forgotten that he said this last fall - about a month before the election:
”I am not on the ballot this fall. Michelle’s pretty happy about that. But make no mistake: these policies are on the ballot. Every single one of them.”

The GOP did quite well in the election and the Obama policies lost.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The GOP did quite well in the election and the Obama policies lost.

I think that's a dangerous interpretation to make, regardless of who said what. A lot of the policies Obama was pushing passed as initiatives at the state level. In conservative states. The policies themselves mostly poll pretty well on their own.

A couple of more recent examples: his policy on Cuba has 60% support, and his executive order on immigration 52% support in the polls.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WTF did Ernst say or do that was so awful? Seriously. You don't like her. Fair enough. You disagree with her politics. Fair enough. But she's a political novice when it comes to national politics. I thought she did fine for what was--again--a pointless exercise, by and large. She sounded way better than Rubio, imo

Why? Because she didn't need a water break?
:e2drown:

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Specific criticisms are fine.

Well, alrighty then.

Her speech was clearly and expertly written by someone knowledgeable in the semiotics of country western songs like God Bless The USA. If you planned a drinking game around the number of times Ernst used the phrase "hard working" and "God", everyone would have been tanked halfway through. The dogwhistle racism and xenophobia were enough to have my basset mix in full throated song for the rest of the evening, were she not snoring away under the afghan.

The other thing is that Ernst's campaign ads around here were known for being exceptionally tasteless and disingenuous. Exceptionally.