I think I found the most outrageous (non Garner) police injustice story yet

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
This was actually posted a week ago but I didn't even find out about it until just now, which i think is particularly telling in and of itself, since I am an avid reader of news and current events. It is one of those things where I am really hoping was actually just embellished and exaggerated and seriously hoping is not true. It is the kind of story that easily makes civil liberties the top priority for more than a few Americans.

http://emmashopebook.com/2015/01/13/the-horrifying-events-that-changed-a-young-mans-life/

There’s a young man, his name is Reginald. Everyone calls him Neli. He was on the high school wrestling team, wore a key on a chain around his neck, liked to hold three playing cards, loved his hoodie, repeated “television and movie lines ” and carried a “string that he runs through his fingers.” He was described as being shy and he liked going to his local library, which was two miles from his home. But one day none of that mattered. One day someone saw Neli sitting on the grass outside the library waiting for it to open. They called the police, reporting a “suspicious male, wearing a hoodie, possibly in possession of a gun.
Neli is black.
Neli is also Autistic.
All the schools within a few miles of the library “went on lockdown.” SWAT teams were called in. That’s at least five schools, though one report said it was eight. Five schools. Eight schools. Lock down. SWAT team. All because an anonymous source said they saw someone suspicious sitting outside a library.
Suspicious could mean any number of things. Maybe it means someone who moves differently, keeps their head down, stares at their feet, doesn’t look you in the eye when you speak to them or doesn’t answer you at all when you ask them a question. Maybe they rock back and forth as they stand or sit, maybe it means they run a piece of string through their fingers or maybe they twirl it around and around the way my daughter does.
Neli was found, frisked and was unarmed. This is where the story should have ended. It is at this point that the situation should have been diffused. This is where the person who had the ability to calm things down could have, but chose not to. Maybe a parent, teacher, someone in the community who knew him, who could have vouched for him might have stepped in. Except the school resource officer who approached Neli and frisked him, did know him or at least had seen him at his high school. Whatever he knew or didn’t know wasn’t helpful as Neli’s life was about to get much, much worse. Neli was forced down over the hood of a car and told he was being taken in.
According to one report Neli cried, “I didn’t do anything wrong!” The arresting officer replied, “You don’t have to – Welcome to Stafford County.” Then he held a gun to Neli’s head and said, “I will blow your head off, nigger.” Neli fought back and in doing so the officer was hurt.
The jury deliberated for three days, found Neli guilty of “assaulting a police officer among other charges” and recommended a sentence of ten and a half years.
Ten and a half years.
The judge disagreed and sentenced Reginald Latson to two years in prison with time served. Except Reginald had done nothing wrong. Except that ONE YEAR in prison for seeming “suspicious” to someone is not justice.
“Suspicious” could mean someone who utters lines from a favorite movie or says something that is considered out of context or not relevant to the conversation. Or maybe suspicious means “not white” and when combined with any of these other things this results in people imagining there’s a weapon as well. Or maybe not being white is all it takes. But one thing is certain, being viewed “suspicious” and black and Autistic in today’s world can get you locked up, sentenced by a jury of your peers to ten and a half years, put in solitary confinement for most of your time in prison, and when you’re broken, when you give up the will to live and try to kill yourself, it’s enough reason to put you in a straight jacket, restrain you for hours, hours in a chair, and then slap you with another charge to make sure you never get out of prison.
If this is a true story, for me, at least, it is enough to fundamentally alter my social and political stances and make our civil liberties an even higher priority than I already did.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
January 20, 2015: Today Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe signed a conditional pardon, finally ending the nearly five-year inhuman cycle of arrest, incarceration and harsh punishment for Reginald “Neli” Latson, a young man with autism and an intellectual disability. This pardon will allow Laston to get treatment and services in a placement in the developmental disabilities system instead of continuing to serve time in prison, where he was at times held in solitary confinement and denied needed mental health and developmental disabilities services.

http://www.bazelon.org/News-Publications/Statement-on-the-Plight-of-Reginald-Latson.aspx

Our criminal justice system is incredibly screwed up. The sometimes convergence of mental illness and criminal behavior is something they are simply not equipped to deal with. It's a systemic problem that needs to be addressed, but in political terms is about as low a priority as you can find.

However, terming this as "police injustice" strikes me as being inaccurate. The police got a call about a suspicious man who possibly had a gun. They have no option but to investigate. It ended up in a physical confrontation, initiated by Mr. Larson. They did not shoot him nor beat him but instead arrested him.

What happened afterwords is an indictment of an overly aggressive prosecutor and of the criminal justice system and it's inability to deal with the mentally ill.

You really can't blame the cops for everything -- although they are the favorite target du jour.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
It's sad that being "suspicious" in a public place is enough to warrant arrest in the first place. It shouldn't be. There are always going to be people who behave "oddly" in public, and that, in itself, isn't a crime. Furthermore, I think it's sad that alerting the police to an ambiguously dangerous situation can wind up getting an innocent person hurt. As a citizen, I resent that I don't always feel free to call the police in situations that I don't feel capable of handling safely on my own. If my crazy neighbors start screaming and hitting each other again, I want to be able to report a domestic disturbance without worrying about the cops using unnecessary force against them.

This story reminded me a little of a time when I was still in college and I was on campus late at night once. There weren't many people around, and there was a guy who was going around asking anyone he saw if they had cigarettes. I told him I didn't but then he wouldn't stop trying to get my attention. It was late, I was alone, and I didn't feel safe going over to him or acknowledging him. Shortly before my ride showed up, I saw some campus police officers and considered letting them know that I felt a bit uncomfortable, but by that time the guy had left and I saw my ride coming.

I highly doubt that guy meant any harm. I wouldn't have wanted him arrested or anything just because he asked people for cigarettes. But I was also a little concerned about being robbed or hurt, and if it had turned out that the guy was up to no good, I would have wanted to feel like the police where out there to keep people safe without being brutes.

Back to the case in question here, I'm curious how the police officer was hurt, as the link rugcat provided just says that he was "seriously injured." If the police had done their job and let him go after a quick questioning, it probably wouldn't have gotten to that point to begin with. It sounds like Latson has problems with becoming aggressive under duress, which probably isn't his fault. He needs mental health services, not punishment, and I'm not sure if he should have been legally culpable for assaulting the officer.

I also find it a bit unfortunate that he pleaded guilty to the charge for assaulting the correctional officer, and wonder whether that was a reasoned decision or something he was pushed into. Offering plea deals can serve a purpose, but I think it happens too frequently that people who don't fully understand the case against them or who lack money for representation are pressured into pleading guilty to charges that they don't actually agree with or that they know they're innocent of.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Back to the case in question here, I'm curious how the police officer was hurt, as the link rugcat provided just says that he was "seriously injured." If the police had done their job and let him go after a quick questioning, it probably wouldn't have gotten to that point to begin with. It sounds like Latson has problems with becoming aggressive under duress, which probably isn't his fault. He needs mental health services, not punishment, and I'm not sure if he should have been legally culpable for assaulting the officer.

I also find it a bit unfortunate that he pleaded guilty to the charge for assaulting the correctional officer, and wonder whether that was a reasoned decision or something he was pushed into. Offering plea deals can serve a purpose, but I think it happens too frequently that people who don't fully understand the case against them or who lack money for representation are pressured into pleading guilty to charges that they don't actually agree with or that they know they're innocent of.
I think some of what you said is correct but if anything I take an even bleaker and what some would call cynical view on this. I think that when he was aggressively confronted he start stimming or making tics in such a way that they thought it looked weird and then just made shit up about being seriously injured. And they attacked because they thought he needed his behavior beaten out of him.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It's sad that being "suspicious" in a public place is enough to warrant arrest in the first place.
Except, he wasn't arrested for being suspicious. He was arrested for assaulting an officer who was responding to a citizen concern.
It shouldn't be. There are always going to be people who behave "oddly" in public, and that, in itself, isn't a crime.
No, it's not. And some people find everyone suspicious, for example, because they are black. But most people can tell when there's not something quite right about a persons actions, and it's rational to have them checked out.
Furthermore, I think it's sad that alerting the police to an ambiguously dangerous situation can wind up getting an innocent person hurt. As a citizen, I resent that I don't always feel free to call the police in situations that I don't feel capable of handling safely on my own. If my crazy neighbors start screaming and hitting each other again, I want to be able to report a domestic disturbance without worrying about the cops using unnecessary force against them.
We had a thread about this recently. But how would you feel if you didn't call, and one of those neighbors killed ot injured their partner?
I would have wanted to feel like the police where out there to keep people safe without being brutes.
Many people feel the way you do. I don't see police officers as brutes, myself.
Back to the case in question here, I'm curious how the police officer was hurt, as the link rugcat provided just says that he was "seriously injured." If the police had done their job and let him go after a quick questioning, it probably wouldn't have gotten to that point to begin with.
Again, with very little information, you're making the automatic assumption that the fight that ensued was the fault of the police officer.
It sounds like Latson has problems with becoming aggressive under duress, which probably isn't his fault. He needs mental health services, not punishment, and I'm not sure if he should have been legally culpable for assaulting the officer.
Quite possibly, but I fail to see how the police officer is at fault because Larson is aggressive and possibly mentally ill.
From the article, the Governor was unable to intervene while charges were pending. I see nothing wrong with a plea bargain where he pled guilty, and in return was given a pardon and transferred out to a place he could receive help.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Except, he wasn't arrested for being suspicious. He was arrested for assaulting an officer who was responding to a citizen concern.

I got the impression that he was in the process of being detained and arrested when the assault took place.

But how would you feel if you didn't call, and one of those neighbors killed ot injured their partner?

That's the thing--it's a shitty position to be put in. I'm going to call the police if I think they're needed, but I don't want it on my hands if someone gets murdered by a police officer whom I called.

Many people feel the way you do. I don't see police officers as brutes, myself.

I don't automatically see the police as brutes, but my willingness to trust the police has changed the more that I hear. The sad reality is that even if cops aren't violent, some just aren't very professional or good at handling their jobs.

I see nothing wrong with a plea bargain where he pled guilty, and in return was given a pardon and transferred out to a place he could receive help.

The problem I have with plea bargains is that they can sometimes lead to innocent people going to prison instead of rightfully fighting the charges in court. I think it can also make it more difficult for someone to appeal and claim their innocence later if they realize that they're not longer willing to accept guilt. It's a risk, and it can be a very appealing option for people who don't have good legal counsel and don't think they have a chance of a fair trial. I hear about a lot more wealthy, powerful people rejecting plea bargains and choosing to go to trial (even when they have a very poor defense) than I do people who are more disadvantaged in the system, like racial minorities and people who are reliant on public defenders.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
One thing folks might keep in mind is that Latson is reportedly on the autism spectrum.

1.) Autism is not a mental illness. Current research suggests it's the result of brain architecture that is different from people not on the autism spectrum.

2.) Even though Latson is apparently reasonably high functioning, people with autism can respond quite strongly to unexpected events and their responses aren't always ones that are considered socially acceptable. For instance, some people with autism will go into avoidance behaviors. Others will aggress. Furthermore, these responses are not always within the person's control. Assuming that a person with autism "chose" a certain behavior is cruel and unjust if that person did not actually have control in the moment.

3.) Given the number of people diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum, law enforcement needs a lot more training on how to interact with such citizens. It has to be law enforcement reaching out in every interaction because, as I said, people with autism don't always respond as you'd expect. Quite frankly, I don't think seminars will cut it. Officers should spend time volunteering with kids who have autism or Down Syndrome or the like before they actually get to work as police.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
One thing folks might keep in mind is that Latson is reportedly on the autism spectrum.

1.) Autism is not a mental illness. Current research suggests it's the result of brain architecture that is different from people not on the autism spectrum.

2.) Even though Latson is apparently reasonably high functioning, people with autism can respond quite strongly to unexpected events and their responses aren't always ones that are considered socially acceptable. For instance, some people with autism will go into avoidance behaviors. Others will aggress. Furthermore, these responses are not always within the person's control. Assuming that a person with autism "chose" a certain behavior is cruel and unjust if that person did not actually have control in the moment.

3.) Given the number of people diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum, law enforcement needs a lot more training on how to interact with such citizens. It has to be law enforcement reaching out in every interaction because, as I said, people with autism don't always respond as you'd expect. Quite frankly, I don't think seminars will cut it. Officers should spend time volunteering with kids who have autism or Down Syndrome or the like before they actually get to work as police.

If someone becomes uncontrollably aggressive when under stress, it's functionally indistinguishable from a mental illness.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
If someone becomes uncontrollably aggressive when under stress, it's functionally indistinguishable from a mental illness.

My problem with this reasoning is that it absolves people from the responsibility of learning about the behavioral patterns common to not only autism spectrum disorders but also specific mental illnesses. If (general) you think it all looks the same then there's no reason to tailor your response to the situation. Unfortunately, when people respond to their misperception of the situation instead of the actual situation, they tend to escalate it instead of deescalate it.

Furthermore, it allows people to think that they are not vulnerable to the same problem because they are neither on the autism spectrum nor mentally ill. This is not true. Everyone has the same basic fight/flight system. It is biochemical in nature and results in involuntary physiological responses. At the strongest response, there is no reasoning with it. The big difference between people who are, for instance, on the autism spectrum and people who are not is that people on the autism spectrum might have a lower threshold where this response is triggered.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
My problem with this reasoning is that it absolves people from the responsibility of learning about the behavioral patterns common to not only autism spectrum disorders but also specific mental illnesses. If (general) you think it all looks the same then there's no reason to tailor your response to the situation.

Of course police should be trained to deal with people who have mental illnesses and other conditions.

You seemed to be implying that someone who is uncontrollably aggressive should not be held responsible or treated as a threat if they have autism.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
If this is a true story, for me, at least, it is enough to fundamentally alter my social and political stances and make our civil liberties an even higher priority than I already did.
I'm sure this is just an oversight by our wise and benevolent leaders that will be corrected ASAP. Failing that, we, the people will correct it by voting out the bums in charge on the very next day that the ruling class opens the ballot boxes for us to make our opinions known, which is rarely more than a year away. Meanwhile, what's up on American Idol?

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Of course police should be trained to deal with people who have mental illnesses and other conditions.

You seemed to be implying that someone who is uncontrollably aggressive should not be held responsible or treated as a threat if they have autism.

My interest is in ensuring that the situation never escalates to the point where a person becomes aggressive. If one recognizes it as more of a reflexive response than a conscious choice then one is more likely to respond appropriately. If one is aware of the differences between different disorders and illnesses then one is more likely to respond appropriately.

Don't you think that identifying and heading off the behavior before it reaches an uncontrollable stage is safer for everyone involved?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, this seems to be a huge problem, and an area where reform in police training is badly needed. I'm not sure that it would be an unreasonable suggestion to make a degree in psychology one of the minimum requirements for becoming a police officer.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that it would be an unreasonable suggestion to make a degree in psychology one of the minimum requirements for becoming a police officer.

Seems like it would weed out a lot of otherwise qualified people.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this seems to be a huge problem, and an area where reform in police training is badly needed. I'm not sure that it would be an unreasonable suggestion to make a degree in psychology one of the minimum requirements for becoming a police officer.

That would certainly be a way to employ all of those psych majors. I think you could probably get away with four specific courses though:

"Introduction to Psychology," which offers a good overview of the field. Also a prerequisite for other psych courses.

"Forensic Psychology," which would not only introduce aspiring officers to criminal behaviors from a psychological standpoint but also, and perhaps more importantly, the errors in thinking and perception that can negatively influence the performance of people in law enforcement.

"Behavioral Neuroscience," which illustrates the biological basis of behavior.

"Abnormal Psychology," which introduces students to mental illness.

A course in social psychology would also be pretty good because it looks at how environment can influence thoughts, perceptions, and behaviors but I'm trying to keep the list focused. Organizations are better off if members have a wide range of backgrounds so I'd make course requirements something that could be taken on an elective basis, essentially a minor to a different major.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I know this is a stupid question, and Im pretty sure the answer is going to be not a goddamned thing, but what happened to the cop? Was his behavior found to be acceptable, was he perhaps retired due to his serious injury? Did anything happen to him for putting a gun to the kids head and calling him the N-word? Or did he as usual, claim to be afraid for his life? Sad situation.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure this is just an oversight by our wise and benevolent leaders that will be corrected ASAP. Failing that, we, the people will correct it by voting out the bums in charge on the very next day that the ruling class opens the ballot boxes for us to make our opinions known, which is rarely more than a year away. Meanwhile, what's up on American Idol?

Who is your audience, Don?

I know this is a stupid question, and Im pretty sure the answer is going to be not a goddamned thing, but what happened to the cop? Was his behavior found to be acceptable, was he perhaps retired due to his serious injury? Did anything happen to him for putting a gun to the kids head and calling him the N-word? Or did he as usual, claim to be afraid for his life? Sad situation.

I just read through all those linked articles. The only place telling the story about the cop putting a gun to his head and calling him the n-word is copblock, which is a slightly less than credible source. I think if that happened, the Washington Post might have mentioned it too.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
However, terming this as "police injustice" strikes me as being inaccurate. The police got a call about a suspicious man who possibly had a gun. They have no option but to investigate. It ended up in a physical confrontation, initiated by Mr. Larson. They did not shoot him nor beat him but instead arrested him.

You really can't blame the cops for everything -- although they are the favorite target du jour.

But it is okay to blame the cop for the “I will blow your head off, nigger” line, right? :rolleyes

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
I just read through all those linked articles. The only place telling the story about the cop putting a gun to his head and calling him the n-word is copblock, which is a slightly less than credible source. I think if that happened, the Washington Post might have mentioned it too.
I honestly am not sure that if he had said that, that it would have been mentioned by Washington Post or any news outlet covering the story. I know that copblock is hardly an objective source but there is such a thing as news incidents that are only fully covered by blogs because our newspapers and news outlets cannot be bothered to go through all the gory details.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Seems like it would weed out a lot of otherwise qualified people.
I think perhaps psychology classes could be added as part of basic police training. They need training on how exactly do deal with those who are not neurally typically.

Maybe he did something they could interpret as a threat but those who know about autism know that there is a much higher probability that under the stress of confrontation he had as sort of sensory overload and meltdown that could have easily been identified as such and not as an aggressive threat had anyone on the premises known anything about autism.

And for Amadan, do you think that someone with autism having a meltdown due to sensory overload, which is often something they cannot control anymore than someone with cerebral palsy can control their ability to walk, should necessarily be treated as your garden variety violent suspect charging a cop?

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly am not sure that if he had said that, that it would have been mentioned by Washington Post or any news outlet covering the story. I know that copblock is hardly an objective source but there is such a thing as news incidents that are only fully covered by blogs because our newspapers and news outlets cannot be bothered to go through all the gory details.

You think a cop putting a gun to a teenager's head, threatening to blow his head off, and calling him a nigger, in an incident that has already sparked an extremely vocal group of defenders, would not merit a mention in any mainstream media source?

You don't think his mother would be talking about that?

On the copblock page, that line is simply inserted into the story without a source, and it's mentioned nowhere else.

I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, but when an extremely inflammatory detail is reported only in one highly polemical source and nowhere else, I think there is reason for great skepticism.

Incidentally, the story is almost five years old. What's up with all these old news articles you keep posting? It almost seems like trawling for popcorn.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
You think a cop putting a gun to a teenager's head, threatening to blow his head off, and calling him a nigger, in an incident that has already sparked an extremely vocal group of defenders, would not merit a mention in any mainstream media source?

You don't think his mother would be talking about that?

On the copblock page, that line is simply inserted into the story without a source, and it's mentioned nowhere else.

I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, but when an extremely inflammatory detail is reported only in one highly polemical source and nowhere else, I think there is reason for great skepticism.

Incidentally, the story is almost five years old. What's up with all these old news articles you keep posting? It almost seems like trawling for popcorn.
His mother may have talked about it before but the fact that it was not covered does not mean much these days. The news can be awfully arbitrary in how they decide what's worth mentioning.

As for it being old, well it was an ongoing case and so while the arrest happened a while ago, that does not really make it a 5 year old story. 12 days ago Latson had entered a guilty plea tog et a 6 motnh sentence and there's a good chance he was pressured to do so. He just got pardoned yesterday. The blog I linked to was looking at this a week ago and found that just because the initial arrest happened 5 years ago does not mean it still was not worthy of being followed as it continued. I felt the same and while I may be wrong, I get the impression I was not the only one.

And I am interested in how you think authority figures should be reacting to someone with true, and not trendy self diagnosed, autism having a sensory overload inducing meltdown, which as I ntoed cannot be controlled anymore than the ability of someone with cerebral palsy can control their ability to walk?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com

To me, the major issue here is if we can really charge them with assault and give them 10 years in prison. (Obviously the judge didn't think so, but that does appear to be the jury's decision.)

So, perhaps treating them as a threat is reasonable in some cases, but charging this kid with assaulting a police officer under the circumstances may not be.