Study: Girls outperform boys in school worldwide, Solution: More attention to boys

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, tell me if I'm out of line asking about this but I'm super curious. "Green" is kind of a special color because it takes up a very large chunk of the visible spectrum. How was green different? Can you describe it?

It was brighter, richer. Traffic lights in particular looked a different shade. I was in Canada for most of a month for my surgery way back (2000) and when I got back I was certain that they had changed all the green lights...in some bizarre conspiracy. But, if I think about it, all greens are brighter and more vibrant to me now.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you how difficult it is being a mother and navigating these waters with a female child.

One of my students did a presentation on females in the construction business--particularly construction management. He put together a proposal for his department that addressed the huge gender divide in construction and construction management. It was very well-thought out and I hope his teachers and advisers really listen to his suggestions.

The issue is, that he's fighting against years and years of gender conditioning. Even at age 7, my daughter has a very strong sense of "boy things" and "girl things." I remember shopping at Target with her one day. She went to look at toys. She wanted a Minecraft figurine. When she got to the aisle, she stopped dead. The aisle was marked "blue," but there also two boys in that aisle.

She said, "Umm, I'll look for something else."

I knew why she had stopped. There were boys in the boy aisle. If the aisle was empty, she would have gone down w/o any issues, but because there were boys present, a barrier manifested. She was a girl and would be intruding on boys in their own "space."

So, I held her hand and walked her down.

I must have told her twenty times: "Blue is not just for boys and pink is not just for girls" OR "There are not boy-toys or girl-toys. It's okay to like anything."

But I'm one voice screaming at her in a hurricane of cultural gender norms. It's daunting. It's a battle I'll never stop fighting.

As far as student/learner types are concerned, well... look at how genders are reinforced in our society. Just look at the difference between commercials targeted for boys versus girls.

Boy Commercial

Girl Commercial

What does each commercial tell you about how boys and girls should behave and act in general? The boys? LOUDER. More in-your-face narration. Rock music. Boys are ACTIVE. Always moving.

The girls? Sweet. Precious. Well-behaved.

And these are just two examples in a sea full of gender-normalizing bullshit media.

It's more than just "boys naturally act differently than girls." I believe that is a piece of the picture, but outside influences certainly can impact a way a child behaves and is expected to behave.

How can this not impact what type of learner a child is or becomes? Sure, kids push up against that. I expect a few people here to bring in the ole, "Well *I* wasn't like that" argument. And that's great if you were able to naturally navigate this type of world without much effort. Consider yourself blessed.

As for the original argument, I think this is something for a teacher to address on a class-by-class basis. As an instructor, I make it a priority to run a class that allows for all voices/opinions to be heard. That means you don't let the ramblers monopolize the time. That means you promote a respectful, safe atmosphere where everyone feels good sharing their thoughts. This can be accomplished in many ways without making students more uncomfortable.

Just because a college student doesn't speak up in class doesn't mean he/she is not thinking and processing. So, I usually include an online response portion in all of my classes. Twice a month, post a response on the class message forum. Often, some of my students who are quiet in-class will enjoy speaking their minds in writing.

Or, I ask students to write down 1-3 questions they have from a reading and turn them in. I will read them out loud and discuss those items.

Or, have students work in smaller groups where they can share their ideas with only 2-3 others (as opposed to a small class).

As a teacher, it's your job to facilitate and to manage these things. While a university could ask me to keep some things (gender differences) in mind, I think I'd feel a bit like someone was stepping on my toes if they were dictating how I should be running my classroom.

I agree with so much here - it's so pervasive.

Even if parents try to ameliorate the effects in their own homes, take one step out the door with a kid and hear 'what a sweet little girl' or 'what a big strong little boy' directed at INFANTS.

Toddler girls are told by strangers to be sweet, quiet, act like little ladies, toddler boy rowdiness is excused as 'boys being boys,' as people smile.

Add that to the blue, pink, toy nonsense...

I fairly recently stopped into a McDonald's, where I do not go, to obtain a Happy Meal toy for someone. I asked how much just the toy was and if they had the one I was supposed to get. The person looked at me blankly and said, "do you want a girl toy, or a boy toy?" I specified the character. "Do you want a girl toy or a boy toy though?" There were NOT two toys with the same character, just one. I had no idea whether it was supposed to be "girl" or "boy," it wasn't human. I just turned and walked out.

Honestly, schoolwise, in my experience, single-sex or seriously 'nerdy' for lack of a better word, schools, are the best antidote. I realize this isn't a solution possible for everyplace, and I know there are arguments against single-sex education, but it does cut out the 'girl vs. boy' classroom stuff, and the girls performing worse in STEM than male classmates past whatever grade and boys not wanting to read the same books crap.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It was brighter, richer. Traffic lights in particular looked a different shade. I was in Canada for most of a month for my surgery way back (2000) and when I got back I was certain that they had changed all the green lights...in some bizarre conspiracy. But, if I think about it, all greens are brighter and more vibrant to me now.

Hm...

Well, Smithsonian Magazine has this article.

But when the researchers tested color vision in one of two ways—by projecting colors onto frosted glass or beaming them into their subjects’ eyes— women proved slightly better at discriminating among subtle gradations in the middle of the color spectrum, where yellow and green reside. They detected tiny differences between yellows that looked the same to men. The researchers also found that men require a slightly longer wavelength to see the same hue as women; an object that women experience as orange will look slightly more yellowish to men, while green will look more blue-green to men. This last part doesn’t confer an advantage on either sex, but it does demonstrate, Abramov says, that “the nervous system that deals with color cannot be wired in the exact same way in males as in females.” He believes the answer lies in testosterone and other androgens. Evidence from animal studies suggests that male sex hormones can alter development in the visual cortex.

I guess this is getting off topic. I don't think the differences in color perception between men and women have that much to do with conditioning of behavior in children.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've wanted to make a longish post in response to the original article, but my experience is certainly atypical and perhaps not relevant.

But this recent story appears relevant, concerning the decline of women in computer science over recent decades:
Modern computer science is dominated by men. But it hasn't always been this way.

A lot of computing pioneers — the people who programmed the first digital computers — were women. And for decades, the number of women studying computer science was growing faster than the number of men. But in 1984, something changed. The percentage of women in computer science flattened, and then plunged, even as the share of women in other technical and professional fields kept rising.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I've wanted to make a longish post in response to the original article, but my experience is certainly atypical and perhaps not relevant.

But this recent story appears relevant, concerning the decline of women in computer science over recent decades:http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding

The very first computer programmers during World War II were women math majors from the University of Pennsylvania.

The military kept their existence a secret and denied it for over forty years.

The first debuggers who actually made computers run were women, and women did almost all of the programming inthe earliest years of commercial computers.

They were made to wear heels and pose as if they were models when journalists came to photograph the computers. Their role was almost never acknowledged.

Look up Rear Admiral "Amazing" Grace Hopper some time.

For whatever reason, women's history in computers has been largely erased and ignored.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score

But this recent story appears relevant, concerning the decline of women in computer science over recent decades:http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding

Ha! Before I clicked, I thought hmmm, I have an Oxford degree in computing and there were a lot of women in my courses. But in 1984, as a matter of fact, my dad bought the first IBM PC and I read the manual and programmed it at home (since there were so few programs available).

So I certainly won't disagree with that article. At school that same year, I got along best in class with the male nerd who also had his own computer (TRS-80, I think) as we worked in school on Apples :) Under a female Comp Sci teacher. Those were the days, I must say!

It wasn't until college for it that I met other girls who programmed at home, yeah.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The very first computer programmers during World War II were women math majors from the University of Pennsylvania.

The military kept their existence a secret and denied it for over forty years.

The first debuggers who actually made computers run were women, and women did almost all of the programming inthe earliest years of commercial computers.

They were made to wear heels and pose as if they were models when journalists came to photograph the computers. Their role was almost never acknowledged.

Look up Rear Admiral "Amazing" Grace Hopper some time.

For whatever reason, women's history in computers has been largely erased and ignored.
As a nerd, I'm well aware of Grace Hopper and I was in college when the new "military" programming language named Ada, after Ada Lovelace, was announced.

Even before the era of electronic computers, women were "computers."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_computer

Here's Grace handing out nanoseconds (even by the time of this appearance, such micro-optimizations of trying not to "waste nanoseconds" were seen as unproductive compared to just writing operating programs with good algorithms).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vcErOPofQ

Grace was also involved with the development of COBOL, but I'll just have to forgive her for that.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
As a nerd, I'm well aware of Grace Hopper and I was in college when the new "military" programming language named Ada, after Ada Lovelace, was announced.

Even before the era of electronic computers, women were "computers."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_computer

Here's Grace handing out nanoseconds (even by the time of this appearance, such micro-optimizations of trying not to "waste nanoseconds" were seen as unproductive compared to just writing operating programs with good algorithms).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vcErOPofQ

Grace was also involved with the development of COBOL, but I'll just have to forgive her for that.

Oof, sorry, ben. I didn't mean to imply you didn't know about Grace Hopper or that other cool stuff. I think I was using your post as a jumping-off point and got a little overenthusiastic.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I find this heartbreaking, as I have experienced similar sexism in the work place. It's why I'm a stay-at-home artist now.

Total off topic just to say that even this little acknowledgement makes this a little easier to bear. Also that I'm still trying, though I don't know how much longer that will last.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have daughter. I have son. Daughter was driven more in school, excelled more...came off as the more intelligent based solely on the fact that she put forth the effort. She is an explosion of awesomeness. I did not put her in the background to focus my attention on my less interested, less driven son. I put her on a pedestal. I celebrated her achievements. Incidentally, not because of the gender she happened to be. My children are each unique. Their gender does not matter to me in the least.

Well put, Kevin. My wife and I treat our daughter and son similarly.