House passes anti-abortion bill on the anniversary of Roe v Wade

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/22/taxpayer-abortion_n_6525490.html

The bill would prevent women from having their abortions covered by Medicaid; restrict a woman's ability to buy private insurance plans that include abortion coverage; and deny small businesses a tax credit, which they currently receive through the Affordable Care Act, if they include abortion care in their health insurance plans. It would also prevent the District of Columbia from using its own local funds to subsidize abortion care.

Done on party lines, of course, with Obama threatening a veto.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
And what, exactly, is this symbolic of?

A kick in the ovaries to America's women on the anniversary of Roe V. Wade, of course.

And I was coming back to say, empty symbolic gesture or not, it's worth preserving what the Congressional Republicans are willing to admit in public that they want to do to American women, so:

The bill would prevent women from having their abortions covered by Medicaid; restrict a woman's ability to buy private insurance plans that include abortion coverage; and deny small businesses a tax credit, which they currently receive through the Affordable Care Act, if they include abortion care in their health insurance plans. It would also prevent the District of Columbia from using its own local funds to subsidize abortion care.

Democrats tried to use a procedural move Thursday to sink the bill or send it back to committee. Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.) submitted a motion to recommit the bill, asking that it be amended to "prohibit any violation of the medical privacy of a woman regarding her personal choice of health insurance coverage, including victims of rape and incest." But Republicans rejected the motion and passed the bill.

So.

No Medicaid abortions.

No private insurance abortions (so much for Congressional Republicans' belief in free markets!).

No locally funded abortions with people's own private money (definitely going against their espoused belief in free markets).

And no privacy for rape or incest victims.

Yeah.

Way to go, Congressional Republicans.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see the Republicans are continuing their war on women.

I bet all male impotency drugs are still covered.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Oh FFS. I can't believe this, this horrific "I don't give a rat's ass for women" bill. I pulled up the House's web site to see if my state's lone vote approved it. Of course being such a lame-ass conservative WOMAN, she voted for it. I've sent her a steaming email. (Not likely she'll ever see it, but I damned well want her to know at least her intern what I think.)

I just hope the Senate doesn't have its head up its collective ass.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the Senate blocks it, but it might take a filibuster. From what I can tell, looking at several sites, is that there are only three pro-choice Republicans left in the Senate - Susan Collins, Mark Kirk, and Lisa Murkowski.