Germany saves the planet

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
"Despite the increasing domestication of men in this area, urinating while standing up is indeed still common practice," Hank said in the ruling.

"Someone who still practises this previously dominant custom is regularly confronted with significant disputes, particularly with female cohabitants. However normally he must not reckon with damage to the marble floor of a bathroom or guest toilet."

Is there some kind of war on stand-up peeing in Germany of which I am unaware?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score

I was wondering the same thing! "Domestication of men..."? Soooo peeing while standing is wild and animalistic? And all this time, I just thought it was efficient.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Are men in Germany not allowed to touch the paper towels or something? Pee however you like, but clean up after yourself. It's kind of bizarre how they are talking about positioning and don't mention that rather obvious point :ROFL: Is he a bachelor? Is that why it isn't assumed he is able to clean around a toilet?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
My german bf pees either sitting down or while kneeling on one knee. I'm not really sure why. Something about less work?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
My german bf pees either sitting down or while kneeling on one knee. I'm not really sure why. Something about less work?

The first is the well-known sitzpinkel, but I'm having trouble even picturing the gymnastics of the second. How does that work? D:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de

Some kind of, indeed. I'll try to stay serious for long enough to explain.

Some time in the eighties or nineties, stand-up peeing was picked up by feminists as one of those annoying things to call guys out on. Fair enough, considering most of the men that warranted calling out on stuff weren't the ones who had to clean up the mess and most guys I know seem to have a case of Dunning-Kruger when it comes to their aiming abilities. Some guys didn't take that well, and soon there was a war between the fringes of feminism and extreme guyism or something, making it a matter of male pride for some men to stand or, if they were too chicken to do that, at least kneel.

Alternately, it may have started the other way round: Some anti-feminist guys mashed their frustration at not being able to stand in front of some people's toilets with their already-existing prejudice against feminism, resulting in the meme of feminists trying to control masculinity's last line of defense - and some of the feminists picked up on it.

Either way, both sides made it their mission to be very stubborn and ideological about the matter (or, as we call it, German), ruining it for the rest of us who just wanted clean toilets that were safe to sit on. Personally, I never understood why people were so determined to make it a War Of The Sexes thing. I mean, everybody has to sit down sometimes, right?

This new court decision wasn't about that, of course. It was about a landlord finding his (I think it was a he) bathroom floor in less than perfect condition, and a guy who apparently has failed to clean up after himself. I don't know why they made it about standing rather than cleaning, but that's how it played out.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
On one knee? How does that work? Is he really tall? Or very well hung?

He is very tall, actually. And I said to him it sounded like a method that is great for tall people but might not work for others?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
This new court decision wasn't about that, of course. It was about a landlord finding his (I think it was a he) bathroom floor in less than perfect condition, and a guy who apparently has failed to clean up after himself. I don't know why they made it about standing rather than cleaning, but that's how it played out.
Yeah, I think it's a little off.

If it's a rental and there is demonstrable damage to the floor from the actions of a tenant--due to urine or anything else--withholding a portion of the damage deposit strikes me as completely reasonable.

Just because someone prefers to stand when they pee, it doesn't mean they get a free pass because their aim sucks.

The court ruling was wrong imo. And stupidly wrong, at that.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As with firearms, good aim is essential.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing! "Domestication of men..."? Soooo peeing while standing is wild and animalistic? And all this time, I just thought it was efficient.
Actually, peeing standing up is "being a Real Man."
Some kind of, indeed. I'll try to stay serious for long enough to explain.

Some time in the eighties or nineties, stand-up peeing was picked up by feminists as one of those annoying things to call guys out on. Fair enough, considering most of the men that warranted calling out on stuff weren't the ones who had to clean up the mess and most guys I know seem to have a case of Dunning-Kruger when it comes to their aiming abilities. Some guys didn't take that well, and soon there was a war between the fringes of feminism and extreme guyism or something, making it a matter of male pride for some men to stand or, if they were too chicken to do that, at least kneel.
I've heard about this in the USA, and it has to do with ...

Nah, I won't try to explain it, this preacher tells it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo3o4nfiG7A

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The best solution to acid pee degrading your floors is obviously nice, plush, absorptive wall-to-wall bathroom carpet.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's a little off.

If it's a rental and there is demonstrable damage to the floor from the actions of a tenant--due to urine or anything else--withholding a portion of the damage deposit strikes me as completely reasonable.

Just because someone prefers to stand when they pee, it doesn't mean they get a free pass because their aim sucks.

The court ruling was wrong imo. And stupidly wrong, at that.

On the other hand, another lesson might be "don't use marble floors in the bathroom." Pretty clearly a design flaw.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my! Us Godless Germans...

:D Ancient history, but when I was in Germany in the early '60s, both men and women peed shamelessly beside the roadway. Some waved.

Of course, I was stationed at a flugplatz in the sticks near the farming community of Göppingen.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, another lesson might be "don't use marble floors in the bathroom." Pretty clearly a design flaw.

Marble used as flooring anywhere is a stupid idea. It's pretty at first, but horribly susceptible to damage from any form of acidic liquid, which can include many cleansers. Spilled orange juice could mar it.

caw

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

Marble used as flooring anywhere is a stupid idea. It's pretty at first, but horribly susceptible to damage from any form of acidic liquid, which can include many cleansers. Spilled orange juice could mar it.

caw

That may be--I have a marble floor in a half-bath though (there when we bought the place 12 years ago) and it doesn't have any stains or damage--but one could say that about a lot of choices. And of course, these kinds of things aren't all that expensive.

Again, renters put down damage deposits to cover damage for which they can be held responsible. I'm not seeing how this case doesn't fit that mold.

Having said that, if the judge really thought renters shouldn't be responsible for peeing on floors, he should have just said that and left the anthropological issues alone imo.