Professional Website Designer Recommendations Needed

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Yeager, AKA "The Ultimate Cheapskate" asked me to help him come up with a list of potential website designers to help him revamp his current website www.ultimatecheapskate.com. We're looking to turn it into a fairly robust hub for all things frugal, but we also want it to be easily updatable since we're both low-tech guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good website designers for authors? Or please let me know if there's anyone we should stay clear of.

Thanks!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest he move away completely from a hand-coded custom site; his current site has an ad for his designer in the metadata.

I would suggest he move to a blogging system/content management system. My first pick for frugal would be WordPress.org.

I would suggest he find someone local who can modify a WordPress template that Mr. Yeager collaborates on choosing, and that the template should be a responsive design that is mobile friendly. There are any number of free WordPress templates that can be inspected from within WordPress before customizing.

I would further suggest that the WordPress modifier should make modifications either via a CSS stylesheet that is independent of the theme, or, a possibly better option, create a child theme.

Finally, I would suggest checking the site design, navigation and functionality on a variety of computers (OS X and Windows at a minimum), smart phones, and tablets.

Increasingly large numbers of people are using tablets and smartphones to read online.

One advantage of WordPress is that the content can be very easily moved, exporte, imported, and backedup.

Another is that it's fairly easy for someone comfortable using, say, email and a word processor to use WordPress.

RobLineberger

Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Yeager, AKA "The Ultimate Cheapskate" asked me to help him come up with a list of potential website designers to help him revamp his current website www.ultimatecheapskate.com. We're looking to turn it into a fairly robust hub for all things frugal, but we also want it to be easily updatable since we're both low-tech guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good website designers for authors? Or please let me know if there's anyone we should stay clear of.

Thanks!

The best professional website designer who specializes in author portals I know is Deena Warner of Deena Warner Design.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
When you want to go cheap -- list a project on GetAFreelancer.com

I've had absolutely brilliant results with them. I once developed an RPG site and paid about $210 for a pretty involved, multi-step project. You have to be pretty careful about who you hire, so read their reviews carefully before you award your project.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
AW Admin's comments are right on the button. Do as she says.