The deal with mailing lists?

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
So I've seen mailing lists mentioned before, but I'm confused on what they are and how they benefit the author.

I mean I know 'what' they are, but I guess I'm asking how do you get one set up, especially if you're a newbie, how do you connect with people to send them to?

I'm still learning how to make social media work for me, so any input from those that use them or have used them in the past would be grateful.

Also if this topic is already covered in a thread, my apologies. Feel free to show me where to go.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Anytime someone contacts you about your books, or Facebook contacts, or sites that have provided 4 or 5 star reviews of your stories, or etc, add them to the list. When you have a new release, email a copy of the announcement but keep inside the message vs an attachment. Many will not view emails with attachments because of viruses.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK at least you're not allowed to add people to your mailing lists unless they specify that they want you to. They have to be asked if they want to opt into your list, and they have to answer yes to that question. So you can't just add everyone who emails you: if you do, and any one of them objects, you are at risk of losing your facility to send any emails at all.

BeeGem

The one with the gemstone eyes
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK at least you're not allowed to add people to your mailing lists unless they specify that they want you to. They have to be asked if they want to opt into your list, and they have to answer yes to that question. So you can't just add everyone who emails you: if you do, and any one of them objects, you are at risk of losing your facility to send any emails at all.

This is my understanding too.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's the same in the United States. Adding names without permission is not advisable. Instead, set up a list through Mailchimp, Aweber, Constant Contact or any other service. Once you're set up, you can set up lists and you'll have access to urls you can share with readers on social media, your website, during promotions and at the back of your books.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Ah ok, so on my FB page, blog, and eventual website, I could have a place to allow people to join the mailing list. One of the above companies would be responsible for sending out the mass emails when I need them?

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
You would have to set up the individual campaigns and there's a slight learning curve, but they will handle the actual submissions.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Well I will tackle one thing at a time. First my website, then mailing lists.

Thanks for all the responses.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Mailchimp is pretty easy to learn and it's free up to 5000 (I think) subscribers. Paid services may be better, though, as far as helping you keep your newsletter out of spam folders. I use Mailchimp for free easiness, and just expect to pay when the lists go over the limit.

Absolutely do not ever add anyone. Make a signup form (Mailchimp does the work for you, you just personalize it) and let people click the link to sign-up. It's a double opt-in list, so they'll get an email when they do with a link they also have to click before they're signed up. Double opt-in protects everybody.

With Mailchimp (or any service) you don't want anything explicit in your mails or anything that's too get-rich-quickly that sounds like a scam. So if you're not using explicit terms in your newsletter or ripping people off, Mailchimp should work just fine. They recently shut down a couple of accounts belong to a sex toy store and an erotic romance author, but reinstated them the next day or so. I think they had someone overzealous about newsletter content, or an auto-filter thing that flagged things that shouldn't have been. I don't think it's a trend against romance or erotica authors, as some do, so I still use them.

Last edited:

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Mailchimp is pretty easy to learn and it's free up to 5000 (I think) subscribers. Paid services may be better, though, as far as helping you keep your newsletter out of spam folders. I use Mailchimp for free easiness, and just expect to pay when the lists go over the limit.

Absolutely do not ever add anyone. Make a signup form (Mailchimp does the work for you, you just personalize it) and let people click the link to sign-up. It's a double opt-in list, so they'll get an email when they do with a link they also have to click before they're signed up. Double opt-in protects everybody.

With Mailchimp (or any service) you don't want anything explicit in your mails or anything that's too get-rich-quickly that sounds like a scam. So if you're not using explicit terms in your newsletter or ripping people off, Mailchimp should work just fine. They recently shut down a couple of accounts belong to a sex toy store and an erotic romance author, but reinstated them the next day or so. I think they had someone overzealous about newsletter content, or an auto-filter thing that flagged things that shouldn't have been. I don't think it's a trend against romance or erotica authors, as some do, so I still use them.

Awesome, thanks. I will look into setting up something through one of these services. :) Keeping the mailings clean won't be an issue, but thanks for the warning.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people have been making a big deal about mailing lists being so important, but I'm wondering do I really need to figure out how to do the mailing list thing when I already have a blog?

If people can choose to follow my blog, and be emailed when I make a new blog post, do you think I need a mailing list as well?

Or can I just invite people to follow my blog? Is that as good? I mean they either choose to follow a mailing list, or not, and they can choose to follow my blog or not.

But it seems mailing lists are the current trendy thing for writers, that people are saying you need for promotion. So I don't know. Seriously what's people's opinion?

I'm giving a workshop on Erotica and Erotic Romance at The Romance Writers of New Zealand Conference, and I've been told I should be setting up a mailing list, and asking people to join it. But would it be just as good to say "Hey I have this blog you can follow?" Or is that just not going to be as good?

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to this, but yeah, I do think it's important, simply for announcing new releases.

FWIW, I haven't had any new subscribers to my blog or much activity there generally, but I have had a few subscribers to my mailing list (which now I'll need to figure out how to use!) since my book's release on Tuesday. You might think Twitter would be an adequate alternative, but in my (admittedly tiny) sample, the people signing up for the newsletter are different from the ones who've followed me on Twitter.

Logically, it makes sense to me too. Readers aren't necessarily going to want to follow along on a blog, even through an RSS feed, when they've got overflowing inboxes already. OTOH, if they liked the book, they might well want to know when the next one comes out, which is just a single email, not a weekly/monthly/other-frequency email. In the wake of some unpleasant revelations about popular authors, I've also seen readers saying they really don't want to interact with authors; they just want to know when the next book comes out. That makes the mailing list far preferable to them than a blog. Mind you, I love blogs, and I'll keep doing it, but it's probably not going to appeal to the majority of my potential audience.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, a mailing list is important. It can be the difference between doing okay and doing really, really well. It's not easy to get subscribers and can seem pointless for a long time, but once you have even a small list, say a few hundred people, it can help propel a good book higher. It's a direct line to readers interested in your work. Anyone writing romance or erotic romance who doesn't have a mailing list is seriously missing out on a great, easy source of promotion.

A blog is fine, but if I had to pick between a site and a list, I'd pick the list. People like to feel special. When they sign up for your list, and you send them a new release announcement in a conversational tone, letting them know you're telling them first, it's a bit of a stronger connection than if they just read it on your blog. You have reached out to them in a different, more personal-sounding way. This is especially true if you offer occasional perks, like a Smashwords coupon for a backlist title, a free short story, anything that's exclusive to your list subscribers.

When you announce a new release, a percentage of your mailing list subscribers will buy it. That percentage is going to vary, but unless the list is really small, there will be some. The bigger the list, the more auto-sales from subscribers.

As your list grows, just sales from subscribers can push your book into the top 100 lists for the category and get it on the hot new release list for that category, which means more people see it, more people buy it, and on it goes. And you don't have to have a list of thousands (though the more, the better). Even relatively small lists of a couple hundred can provide a boost. It's a fantastic way to get visibility for something new. Who knows which book, if it gets on the right list in front of more people, won't take off? Give them all that shot.

And it's not difficult to set up a list, it's free many places, so there's really no good reason not to do it.

I will say that gimmicky ways of building a list are likely to disappoint. You need real subscribers who signed up because they're interested in your work. Prize giveaways can boost your list numbers substantially, and some might be interested, but I think the open, click-through and buy statistics on a list that's formed any way but organically is going to be a bit lower.

Make a list, put the link on in a prominent place on your blog, put it inside your books, and use it only to announce new releases or update people about once a month or so, maybe twice. Recommend other books they might like when you have nothing of your own to announce. Announce sales there first, maybe offer a free short story to subscribers, something like that.

Giveaways of a free story to entice people onto your list will result in a higher sales rate than a giveaway of a gift card or something that has nothing do with your work. But you don't have to give anything away, maybe just announce new releases there first, announce sales, and point out that your subscribers find out about things before anyone else.

MarkWell

Registered
Reaction score
"If people can choose to follow my blog, and be emailed when I make a new blog post, do you think I need a mailing list as well?"

This is already a mailing list.

You send your subscriber an email when you’ve published a new blog post. You do exactly the same when you have a new book published.

The people who subscribe to your blog are your “fans”, they actually want to get noticed about the opportunity to buy a book from you (as long as it only happens once in a while)

Last edited:

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Yes, a mailing list is important. It can be the difference between doing okay and doing really, really well. It's not easy to get subscribers and can seem pointless for a long time, but once you have even a small list, say a few hundred people, it can help propel a good book higher.

Ha! I would LOVE to have a few hundred people on my mailing list. Right now, I have about 20, and I have four books published! Would love to know your secret.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Shellyo thanks for all the great input. My feelings are similar to Gingerwoman and having the blog. I admittedly don't have very many followers on my blog and I have no idea how many of them follow (if any) by email so I'm expecting the number to be low for subscribing to my newsletter once/if I get it set up.

Like with selling my book, gaining followers will be slow going.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Hello you experienced self-publishers! I am about to re-release Sons of Gods, revised, new cover, new author name, much improved; and I'm adding a sign-up for a mailing list. I've joined Mailchimp and created my sign-up form -- and now I am lost! How do I add it to my book -- which at present is still in MS Word?

I really need to be told EXACTLY what to do as I am a tech-dummy!

(ETA -- not so dumb as I thought! I just figured it out myself -- YAY!)

Last edited:

knowthyreader

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people have been making a big deal about mailing lists being so important, but I'm wondering do I really need to figure out how to do the mailing list thing when I already have a blog?

If people can choose to follow my blog, and be emailed when I make a new blog post, do you think I need a mailing list as well?

Or can I just invite people to follow my blog? Is that as good? I mean they either choose to follow a mailing list, or not, and they can choose to follow my blog or not.

But it seems mailing lists are the current trendy thing for writers, that people are saying you need for promotion. So I don't know. Seriously what's people's opinion?

I'm giving a workshop on Erotica and Erotic Romance at The Romance Writers of New Zealand Conference, and I've been told I should be setting up a mailing list, and asking people to join it. But would it be just as good to say "Hey I have this blog you can follow?" Or is that just not going to be as good?

Hi gingerwoman

A mailing list can be used as a method for people to follow your blog, a campaign can be set up, so that subscribers to your mailing list get an email each time you have new content published, and you can decide how often this goes out.

Mailing lists are not a trendy thing, they are one of the best methods, different types of sites have been the new thing to use, then they lose peoples interest, the use of mailing lists though has existed for quite some time, it's because practically everyone can relate to using email.

People forget about sites that they have visited, by having a mailing list, it's a way to keep in touch, with their permission.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to set up a mailing list. I keep seeing people say it isn't hard, but I was able to make no sense whatsoever out of MailChimp. :( Maybe I should try one of the others.