What are you reading now? (General Comic Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamWingless

Years to build and moments to ruin
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been getting more into comics and graphic novels and have noticed a few things about them.

1. They're two different worlds.
2. They're published in two different ways.

Comics are sold in comic shops, graphic novels are sold in bookstores. I'm wondering if this has something to do with why the two worlds are starkly different (no Ironman pun intended), but honestly I'm not sure. I'll just say that when I get into a conversation about comics with professed "comic book nerds" who are talking about Wolverine and Superman, I'll start talking about Transmetropolitan and no one will know what the heck I mean (??).

So anyway, here's what I'm reading now:

"Umbral" by Image Comics
"No Hero" by Avatar Press
"Firelight Isle" indie-pubbed by Paul Duffield (great guy)

What are you guys reading and maybe we can get some recommendations going?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Always glad to see someone else getting into comics! :)

So I've been getting more into comics and graphic novels and have noticed a few things about them.

1. They're two different worlds.
2. They're published in two different ways.

Comics are sold in comic shops, graphic novels are sold in bookstores. I'm wondering if this has something to do with why the two worlds are starkly different (no Ironman pun intended), but honestly I'm not sure. I'll just say that when I get into a conversation about comics with professed "comic book nerds" who are talking about Wolverine and Superman, I'll start talking about Transmetropolitan and no one will know what the heck I mean (??).

So anyway, here's what I'm reading now:

"Umbral" by Image Comics
"No Hero" by Avatar Press
"Firelight Isle" indie-pubbed by Paul Duffield (great guy)

What are you guys reading and maybe we can get some recommendations going?
I don't think they're starkly different. They quite often share content. Today's comic book series is tomorrow's graphic novel. Transmetropolitan, to take your example, started as individual comic issues sold in comic stores. (That's how I read it)

Of course, some GNs were never serialized, and some serials never get collections. But there's a great amount of crossover.

I suspect the divide you're more going for based on your reading list is maybe mainstream and less know, or superhero and non-superhero?

Incidentally, I'm sorry you've had such bad luck connecting with other comics fans who like the books you do. I know how much that can stink.

TeamWingless

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. Especially since I'm not into the "mainline" comics at all, like superheroes etc. I think it's a great medium that's being horribly misused for the wrong audience, kinda like videogames. I'm into indie graphic novels like Blankets and Maus, but it's just kind of strange to see them shelved next to Batman, you know? I've had the honor of corresponding with comic artist Paul Duffield about this issue, and he basically said the same thing, that yeah the medium is small so everything is kinda lumped together. I ran into trouble with this recently reading FREAK ANGELS by Warren Ellis online. While looking for similar things they've published I stumbled upon a comic that turned out to be the most visceral horror comic I've ever seen in my life...I'm still kinda messed up about it.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. Especially since I'm not into the "mainline" comics at all, like superheroes etc. I think it's a great medium that's being horribly misused for the wrong audience, kinda like videogames. I'm into indie graphic novels like Blankets and Maus, but it's just kind of strange to see them shelved next to Batman, you know? I've had the honor of corresponding with comic artist Paul Duffield about this issue, and he basically said the same thing, that yeah the medium is small so everything is kinda lumped together. I ran into trouble with this recently reading FREAK ANGELS by Warren Ellis online. While looking for similar things they've published I stumbled upon a comic that turned out to be the most visceral horror comic I've ever seen in my life...I'm still kinda messed up about it.
Oh man. Yeah, coming across an unexpected horror comic, especially a really explicit one, isn't even a great thing if you like that sort of stuff. And if you don't... *Shiver*

And yeah, it can sometimes be hard to find stuff. Especially since some types of books don't tend to stay in print for terribly long unless it's a big seller, and even mainstream stuff can be hard to find mere months after it's come out. It's even harder for stuff from smaller studios. I can't even tell you how long it took me to find the second Gunnerkrigg Court volume. It can be daunting and discouraging.

I'm afraid I can't agree about misuse of the medium though. It's like saying movies are being misused because a lot of mainstream movies are mindless popcorn fare. Batman's not keeping other stuff from being made. If anything, Batman and his superhero buddies are probably what makes comic books profitable enough for bookstores to dedicate a section, however small, to them.

Stories to your taste may not be in all genres of comics, but that doesn't mean they're not excellent stories that do not use their medium to great effect. Heck, one of the greatest graphic novels of all time is a superhero comic. As are some of my very favorites. *hugs Starman, JLI, Gambit and Ellis's own Next Wave*

I would certainly love more diversity and quality in comics offerings, but I feel the same about basically everything - novels, TV, movies, whatever. Some stuff really sucks, a lot is average, and a few pieces really transcend.

Have you tried finding a reviewer who likes the same sorts of comics you do? Their likes and dislikes might give you a solid place to start in finding new books.

TeamWingless

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've gotten a few artists to give me some reading lists I'm currently working my way through, but it would be great if the indie comic scene were bigger. I just feel like the whole superhero thing dominating conversations is pushing indie fans to the side, but I guess that happens with indie film and writing as well. It's an ongoing war for shelf-space that isn't going to get solved anytime soon.

In the interest of recommendations, thought I'd post up a few more that I thought were awesome.

1. Water Baby - Minx Comics
2. Local - Brian Wood
3. Habibi - Craig Thompson
4. Signal - Paul Duffield (a comic book poem with no words)
5. Dong Xoai, Vietnam 1965 - Joe Kubert
6. Calibur - Radical Comics
7. Biomega - Tsutomu Nihel

I guess anyone else can post up their favs and we can get a collection going?

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
I just got all caught up on "Saga" (Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples) and it is AMAZING. I've been reading comics for 35 years, both superheroes and indies (and manga too), and I really think it's one of the best I've ever read.

Have you read "Finder" by Carla Speed McNeil? It's also excellent.

I haven't heard of most of the ones you mention ... but I kinda got out of comics a decade or so ago, and I'm just now falling back into it. Lots of new stuff to read.

TeamWingless

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it, but the author sounds familiar, will check it out :)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
It's an ongoing war for shelf-space that isn't going to get solved anytime soon.
No. No it's really not a war for shelf space. At all. But I promise that's the last I'm going to say on that.

A lot of this is owing to taste, so not sure how helpful this will be. But there's "Cursed Pirate Girl" if you want elaborate, detailed drawings and a fairy tail feel. And along that same vein there's "The Legend of Bold Riley," though I've only had a chance to read the first collection. Or maybe "Bone."

If you want stuff done a little less wordily than most, there's "The Saga of Rex," which I found adorable if a little odd, and "Tale of Sand" which was made into an award-winning comic from an archived screenplay Jim Henson wrote ages back.

If you are looking for something more cultural and historical, there's "Moving Pictures" about a museum curator in France during World War II or "Persepolis" or "March."

Like science fantasy? Maybe look into "City in the Desert" with its monsters and advanced electronics, or the elegance of "Robotika." A little more sentimental is the "Vogelein" series, about a clockwork fairy. there's a lot of Oz adaptations lately, but I'f found the Wicked West books to be my favorite. (The Tin Man as a sheriff, yes indeed).

For comedy, I lean toward "The Unearthed Cemetery Blues" (Why didn't they ever release book 2? Lament) and "Platinum Grit" and "Princeless." But the first and third are fairly light books.

Generally I find Archaia a great place to look for new reads. Fantagraphics also has a pretty large catalog of things you might want to check out. I haven't liked anything I've read out of there, but that's largely down to taste, and the books themselves were quite well done. Looking at your reading list, you might have some better luck there than I did.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I usually see both comics and graphic novels in both comic stores and book stores, but then I'm not sure if I've ever seen a graphic novel that wasn't published in short-form first.

As for what I'm reading now, I'm currently re-reading the Dawn of the Jedi series for my next couple of articles about it. Unfortunately not as good as the creators' previous work. I've also been following Buffy Season 10/Angel & Faith, which are both keeping my interest.

LosScandalous

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read much Marvel or DC growing up, so reading their stuff can be a treat. Right now, I'm into Silver Surfer, Ms. Marvel and All-New Ghost Rider. I also read Lazarus, Rat Queens, Letter 44 and Velvet.

Grigoris

fifth level cleric
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I just got all caught up on "Saga" (Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples) and it is AMAZING. I've been reading comics for 35 years, both superheroes and indies (and manga too), and I really think it's one of the best I've ever read.

Saga is fantastic and easy to get hooked on. I've been following Tales of Mr. Rhee from Devil's Due, which is the sequal to the Cthulhu-Satan apocalypse laid out in Nightmare World (Image/Shadowline). Great stuff if you're into that sort of thing. I'm cracking open Image's Sex Criminals as well to see what all the hullaballoo is about.

For a hilarious, D&D monster romp, I recommend Skullkickers (Image)- the entire series is online for free here.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so over the DC/Marvel endless crossover "events" that reset their universes every few years. It's boring, it's tired and I'm over it.

My current favorite reads are Velvet by Brubaker and Epting, The Fade-Out by Brubaker and Phillips and Lazarus by Rucka and Lark. I dig the hell out of anything Warren Ellis is part of.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I had been catching up on some Dr Strange using the iPhone Marvel app. But ultimately decided I can't read this way. I am very into the artistic aspect of comics and need to see the whole page rather than have the app decide how I am going to "zoom in" on parts of it.

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
Right now I am straight up OBSESSED with Kelly Sue DeConnick's Bitch Planet. It's a phenomenal title that turns all of the women-in-prison movie tropes on their ear and I'm legit salivating for the next issue. I haven't felt this way about a comic since I was reading Transmetropolitan in single issues so it's wonderful to be so passionate again.

I'd also recommend DeConnick's Pretty Deadly, which has been collected into a lovely graphic novel. It's a not-entirely-linear, deliciously weird Western.

Also, the first issue of the Jem and the Holograms comic is out and it's fantastic if only for the new character art. So great and a really good modernization of the story.

Last edited:

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting for Saga Vol. IV to come in at the library for months - finally got the email that it's ready. Haha will probably devour it in like 10 minutes.

Also randomly discovered "The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains" by Neil Gaiman - just started it, but loving the style - it's kind of like a creepy adult picture book - with descriptive text in front of background pictures, as well as more comic style panels. so far it's about a midget paying a man to guide him to riches in the mountains.

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
I also read Stigmata recently - that artwork was pretty damn cool. The story also haunting. Black and white with sketch lines. Would love to find more like that.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading Kill Six Billion Demons. It's surprisingly good, and I am flabbergasted that the artist updates as often as he does at the quality he does. Very fun read. Updates Wednesdays. http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Liondel

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading Birthright lately. It's an Image title about the classic "little kid gets taken to a magic fantasy world to become a hero" but shows more of the other side of things and how a child's disappearance can destroy a family, and they're forced to deal with the reality of what happened when the truth comes out a year later. It's pretty crazy and I'm really enjoying it.

Also, the current TMNT comic IDW is doing is the most surprisingly heart-wrenching, exciting comic I'm reading right now. Makes awesome use of characters and makes use of everything to further plot. It's unbelievable how good it's been.

dwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever read BodyWorld by Dash Shaw? You can see samples of it here. It's a dark comedy with people doing a lot of horrible things, but in the end, you really come to care for the characters. The ending itself becomes rather shocking -- and sad -- because of it. I'd never heard of Shaw but found BodyWorld at my local library. I was pleasantly surprised.

Dan
CareersinComics

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Yeah, Saga's great, if you like sexy, funny space opera. Sex Criminals is great if you're not too insistent on the space opera part. They both deserve all the hype and praise they got.

Me, I'm a bit fed up with the graphic novel thing of late - in Germany, it mainly seems to be a way of telling book vendors that it's safe to carry comics, too, because these are not those comics*. My issue with that is that I love comics that are not ashamed of being comics. That actually celebrate their comicness. So bear that in mind whenever I recommend something. (Also, that's not a reaction to the comics I seconded above. They rock.)

I just got Vol. 2 of Bandette by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover which is more child-friendly, I guess. It's a very light funny, tongue-in-cheek series about a master thief in a very Sixties-looking France. While Saga and Sex Criminals are certainly among the best comics I read last year, Bandette is definitely my favorite.

Lumberjanes got a lor of rightful praise recently - about a group of girls on summercamp in a wood full of Weird.

Good mainstream titles would be the current runs of Batgirl and Ms. Marvel. Really, check out G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel even if you don't like superheroes.

I could go on...
_____
*) Also, German graphic novelists seem to be contractually bound to cover either the GDR or the Third Reich because that makes them look more serious and grownup.

dwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Max (the poster right above this) is absolutely right about Ms. Marvel. It really is appropriate for young readers, and that's pretty rare these days. Ms. Marvel reminds me a bit of the early days of Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man stories. Those were great for teens. Ultimate Spider-Man got a bit clunky, unfortunately, in recent years, though.

Dan
CareersInComics

dubbauw

Registered
Reaction score
My current favorite is Alex + Ada by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn from Image. It's really consistently great, and full of emotion. Not a lot of people seem to be reading it, but I don't think there's much else nearly as heartfelt.

I'm also a big fan of Sex Criminals and Manhattan Projects (science/history/comedy). Other great ones are Southern Bastards and Descender. Image generally makes high quality comics.

Also, does anyone know of any good current French language comics or graphic novels, or where to look? I've been spending quite some time searching, but haven't received many suggestions, besides the classic Asterix. I'm looking for something more modern, yet still good quality.

Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
You mean, good Franco-Belgian stuff that has the feel of old-school BD? I'd like to know about that, too. Most current French or Belgian stuff I see is either sloppy-hand indie style (albeit often brilliantly so, if you look at the likes of Lewis Trondheim) or overblown fantasy nihilism that leaves me cold because it's not so well-written. Or overtly nostalgic, like most of the current Spirou comics.

The most recent that caught me was Violetta (2003 - ca. 2010) by Tarrin and Tronchet - about a girl who escapes her very weird home to find her father in Africa because she thinks that's him on the postage stapm her mother cherishes so much. I don't htink the series ever got finished in France, though - the final was only published in Germany, as far as I know - and I don't know about any English editions.

Some German authors - German as in German-speaking, not necessarily from Germany, 'cos some may be Swiss - have picked up on BD style over the years - naturally since the style used to be more dominant here than US or Japanese styles, and we didn't have a German style of note to counter it anyway.
One of the best - stylistically - is Erik who has two notable titles, a fantasy epic called Deae Ex Machina and the detective seires Dédé which is set in France, incidentally. Again, no idea if there are English releases. Or French, for that matter. Same for Martin Frei, Isabel Kreitz, and that Swiss guy I was thinking of but can't quite put my finger on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.