victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
All the information I've gathered suggests that the NY Literary Agency name is being phased out--also, the email address in the job posting doesn't match the NYLA email address, or any others used by Fletcher and associates. My hunch is that "New York Literary Agency" is being used generically, and that this is a different outfit.

However, if that's the case, and this really is a "prestigious literary agency," why wouldn't they give the name? So even if not NYLA-affiliated, it's a suspicious posting, IMO.

- Victoria

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Why would a real literary agency want to have a name that's similar or identical to one with such a poor reputation? That's like sticking your own "kick me" sign on your own back. It simply isn't worth what it would cost in resources to restore even a glimmer of respect to a name that disreputable. In fact, it's almost a sure bet when someone claims to be the new management of an agency with an atrocious track record that it's merely a new dodge meant to lure in more victims.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
However, if that's the case, and this really is a "prestigious literary agency," why wouldn't they give the name? So even if not NYLA-affiliated, it's a suspicious posting, IMO.

- Victoria

I'm wondering how 'prestigious' a business can be when they are using a hotmail account for their contact point.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I was just coming in to post about this ad and I see Victoria's already on it. I love this site.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Why would a real literary agency want to have a name that's similar or identical to one with such a poor reputation?

I don't think the agency in the ad is called New York Literary Agency--I think it's describing itself as "a New York literary agency."

- Victoria

copnovelist1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MichaelPhelpsNovels.com
Good Morning All,
I also received a "We Love Your Manuscript - and Want to Represent You" from NY Literary Agency. I RAN!

Now, DONALD MAASS LITERARY AGENCY, INC. 157 W. 57th. Street, Suite 1003, New York, NY 10019 - is one of the most reputable agencies in the business. I found them on the WRITER'S MARKET ON-LINE. You can DOWNLOAD for FREE, "CAREER NOVELIST" book by Donald Maass. It is 268 pages, containg SOUND AND GENUINE ADVICE for aspiring novelists. It won't hurt you to try. They also have a very impressive website.
Check in with ABSOLUTE WRITE every day! It is among the TOP sites for writers!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL, DON'T GIVE UP - STAY PERSISTENT - AND WRITE - WRITE AND WRITE SOME MORE!

Regards, Mike Phelps

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
I have a friend who was sucked in by this agency. She took her contract to a lawyer and had him look it over before she signed it and even he didn't warn her about agencies that charge reading fees. I think there's something to be said about consulting an attorney who specializes in these things. In the end, when my friend realized she had gotten herself a bad deal, she just waited it out until her contract ran out with them and moved on.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Just a warning:

I broke ties with them in a firm email that didn't actually accuse them of anything. And today I received an email from "Beth Stormes" about a "potential publisher".

This is the same exact email that roused my suspicions back in February. It's so blatantly and patently a scam that even I was suspicious.

This is from the "publisher", passed along by "Beth Stormes":

We believe there are three publishing models that make sense in today's publishing world.

1) Traditional Publishing - Publisher Takes Risk
2) Joint Venture Publishing - Risk is Shared
3) Self Publishing - Author Takes Risk (Not Recommended)

So the reader will get excited, submit hoping to be published traditionally but told that self-publishing is all they'll offer. And then they'll charge money for that "self-publishing". Why would a publisher ever, ever contact an agent this way, and why would an agent ever, ever pass it along? It stinks so badly. I am so ticked off at this guy right now that words cannot express it . . .

Just thought I'd pass this along.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
There is, and has been, an ALERT up on Writer Beware for people who have had problems with Writers Literary Agency, Strategic Book Publishing, Eloquent, New York Literary Agency, S.T. Literary Agency, WL Children's Literary Agency, WL Screenplay Agency, The Literary Agency Group, Global, or any of the other Robert Fletcher owned "agencies" or "publishing companies."

Just go to www.writerbeware.com and it's right there on the front page

Gives contact info, etc.

If you have had problems, please check out this ALERT.

-Ann C. Crispin

Chair, Writer Beware

www.writerbeware.com

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If you have had any dealings with The New York Literary Agency...

(under any of its names, including but not limited to Writer's Literary Agency Group, Writer's Literary Agency, Writer's Literary & Publishing Services, New York Literary Agency, Writer's Literary Children's Agency, The Children's Literary Agency, Children's Book Publishing Agency, Writer's Literary Poet's Agency, Poet's Literary Agency, Poetry Book Publishing Agency, The Christian Literary Agency, Writer's Literary Screenplay Agency, Screenplay Writers' Agency, The Screenplay Agency, The Literary Agency Group, f/k/a Rapidpublishing-screenwriter911, Inc., Stylus Literary Agency, S T Literary Agency, Inc. , Writers Literary & Publishing Services Company, Writers' Book Publishing Agency, Strategic Publishing Group, Strategic Book Publishing, Strategic Book Marketing, AEG Publishing Group, My Editor Is A Saint, Author's Edge, Sydra-Techniques, Global Book Agency, and Eloquent Books)

...the Florida Attorney General wants to hear from you.

Richard L. Sutton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kivatrading.com
"Gasp!" "The sorcerer has taken a new form!"

Beware! I was recently pitched, cold, by the WB Literary agency of New York (suuposedly...). It's been a five year search for an agent, so I replied....

No last names on any reply correspondence -- very long, rambling "excues, excuses" type reply emails, leading to .....

An agency contract!

Before signing the contract, which by the way, came from the "Acquisitions" Dept. (Acquisitions ?), I noticed that the owner of record is......

Robert Fletcher!!!! Business Location? Deerfield Beach, FL -- 3840 W. Hillsboro Blvd. #302, for anyone wanting a physical location...

No me signee.

Beware the shape-shifter.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Robert Fletcher!!!! Business Location? Deerfield Beach, FL -- 3840 W. Hillsboro Blvd. #302, for anyone wanting a physical location...

That's a Pak Mail store at the Deerfield Mall. As far as I know the physical location of his "office" is still in the same private residence in Boca Raton.

WriteOn85

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedoublevie24.wordpress.com
All The Time in the World

I'm sorry to tell you this, but if you're looking at writing to take care of near-term monetary problems -- perhaps you should look elsewhere. The best description of the speed of the publishing industry is "glacial."

Is that why you suggest to writers that they write another book in the time it takes for them to send out their first one to an agency?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Not only does a new project keep you from pacing a hole in the carpet, but by the time you finish it, you'll see how to improve your first one. Plus you'll have something for the agent who says "okay, but what else you got?". Etc.

WriteOn85

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedoublevie24.wordpress.com
Yup. Not only does a new project keep you from pacing a hole in the carpet, but by the time you finish it, you'll see how to improve your first one. Plus you'll have something for the agent who says "okay, but what else you got?". Etc.

Fair enough. I ask because I have a murder mystery I'm hammering out now, but at the same time, I'm coming up with pieces of an urban fantasy novel that need serious fleshing out, and I figure if no legit lit agency is impressed with my first manuscript, it'll be all the motivation I need to wow them with my second.

Sorry if I went off-topic, but I just wanted to know, as I, like most of you here, am a publishing world newbie (though I have been into writing for 14 years).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! It's all too common for folks to obsess over their first ms (and never write another), when in fact later efforts usually sell first.

RebeccaSauve

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all SO much for the warnings. I recieved the e-mail telling me they liked it now they want it critqued (after the query and first six chapter :S) thank the elements i thought to check tem out before I did anything else.
Thank you guys so much and I feel terrble for all; thought how have or will fall into their trap

sirx16

Registered
Reaction score
they ripped me off!

I finished my novel in 2005, and I was so eager to find an agent and have it edited, and these guys said they could do both. So, I paid them over 2000.00 bucks and they did a "copy edit". My Corespondent was Jordan Pederson. I must admit, she was helpful to a degree, but after two emails she stopped responding to me and I have not heard a word from them. I paid a real editor much less and they went behind her a found a bunch of mistakes. I detest the New York Literary Agency and think I should be refunded!

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Sirx16, have you contacted to Florida Attorney General's Office?

If you haven't yet, go to Writer Beware and click on the "Alert" link there. www.writerbeware.com Follow the instructions there to get in touch with the investigator from the AG's office.

They are looking for victims who have lost money to Robert Fletcher and his scam agencies, and you've lost more than the average victim.

Please click that link and follow up by filling out an affidavit. You might be in line to receive damages because you got scammed.

Check it out.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm both disappointed & delighted. I was searching online for an agency to represent my book "Salem By Way of California" and happend upon a webpage for one of the myriad of company names that you have listed. Being the naive first time writer that I am, I sent them a synopsis. I got an email back telling me how they've referred it to a sister company and that they're 90% sure that I'll be signed on yackity schmack. They referred me to one of the Strategic sites & I looked at it. I was HIGHLY confused by it so I attempted to call the contact at the 800 # that was left for me. I found it odd that the office hours to answer questions were only 12pm-4pm M-F and there wasn't ever an answer, plus I haven't gotten a return phone call to date. So, lo and behold I google Strategic and what do I find? But, this wonderful site full of people telling me that this is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE place.

I too heard all the claims, no money to read, no money except when your book sells, blah, blah, blah. Granted, my disappointment abounds, but my spirit soars because I found you guys in time to be able to go into this with my eyes more wide open and a little less naive. Thank you very much for that.