The Bouncy Castle in Space

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks for all the inquiries! The pea is out!! We had to go to the ENT at Children's Hospital and they had lots of fancy equipment and got it out in about a minute. Can't wait to get all the bills. :scared:

We almost had a heart attack when our peanut-up-the-nose removal bill finally arrived in the mail - over $600. That was after driving around three different hospitals to find someone with the right pair of tweezers for the job.

I hope your pea was cheaper!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
David,
Best of Luck with the story.

Joy,
Glad you got the pea out! Hopefully, opening the bill won't cause another medical crisis.

Sissy,
Sorry about the trouble with school. I'm working on updating my daughter's IEP and I feel for you (in fact, working in groups might just be on hers). Just remember the first 3 rules with IEP's: Document, Document, Document.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Thanks, guys! Dunno how long it will be before I hear back, but I'm already checking my email every couple hours. I'm not getting my hopes up, though - I'd be happy just for the consideration, and hopefully some professional feedback.

Dave

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today at school I was all like :yessmiley:yessmiley:yessmiley:yessmiley: because the kid I tutor in math, after failing his standardized test plus the first two math tests of the year, got a solid 75 on his third math test! Sure, he did most of the work, but I'm claiming some of the credit :thankyou: I'm very proud of him. He's been working really hard and trying to be focused, and he's going to be very pleased with himself when he finds out tomorrow :D His mom says a chocolate milkshake is in his future.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
*sigh*
I splashed water on my laptop last night... I thought I'd only gotten water on the table and cleaned it up in time, but then the computer made this scary little sizzling sound... and another one... and another one... and now the screen is super dark. Not completely black, but too dark to actually read.
I don't know why I didn't post this sooner, but this is the classic sign of the back-light going out.

It might be worth calling Apple and asking about. There's a chance they could replace just a board or something that controls the back-light. Probably it's part of the video or main board, but it might be worth a shot.

Failing that, the external monitor idea is the way to go. Either way, that's terrible luck!

MorganMarshall

I keep my head firmly in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
Today at school I was all like :yessmiley:yessmiley:yessmiley:yessmiley: because the kid I tutor in math, after failing his standardized test plus the first two math tests of the year, got a solid 75 on his third math test! Sure, he did most of the work, but I'm claiming some of the credit :thankyou: I'm very proud of him. He's been working really hard and trying to be focused, and he's going to be very pleased with himself when he finds out tomorrow :D His mom says a chocolate milkshake is in his future.

That is AWESOME Kitty Pryde! My daughter got mostly F's and a few D's last year, but this year she has four A's, a B, and just brought an F up to a C within a month! It's so exciting to see them triumph, isn't it?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

wrong kind of bouncing...

bounced a check.

I hate it when I do dumb things. there was plenty of money in the savings account, I just had to pay attention in time to transfer it over.

But I prefer to blame it on the dumb ex-husband, who owes me money for the kid's car insurance but hasn't managed to pay me yet.

Okay, now I feel better. Yay for blaming someone else!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Overheard today:

Teacher, showing a photo to a child: What emotion does he feel?

Student: Scared.

Teacher: That's right! What can you do if you're scared?

Student: Scream like a little girl!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

wrong kind of bouncing...

bounced a check.

I hate it when I do dumb things. there was plenty of money in the savings account, I just had to pay attention in time to transfer it over.

But I prefer to blame it on the dumb ex-husband, who owes me money for the kid's car insurance but hasn't managed to pay me yet.

Okay, now I feel better. Yay for blaming someone else!
Hugs for you :Hug2:
Overheard today:

Teacher, showing a photo to a child: What emotion does he feel?

Student: Scared.

Teacher: That's right! What can you do if you're scared?

Student: Scream like a little girl!
:roll:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for Judy and everyone else, too. :e2arms:

I have cakes cooling on wire racks. Woot! :TheWave:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy weekend! It's the calm before the storm of Thanksgiving Family Togetherness Time. A least we have a short week of work.

So the other day I called a kid's dad to get the kid signed up for 'math club' doing extra math practice after school. When he answered the phone, it sounded as though I had interrupted him from a busy morning of torturing cats, yodeling, buzz sawing through sheet metal, and jack hammering. Well, it takes all sorts of people to make a world, i suppose. Anyway, it turns out his dad is the lead singer of a "really famous punk band" that I've never heard of. :Shrug:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from the movies. Took a van load of 4-6 graders to see Wreck It Ralph. I didn't think I was going to like it at all because I'd heard it was about video games.

I loved it. Laughed out loud. Almost cried for Glitch. Cheered for the budding romance, and found King Candy hilarious.

To top it all off, all of the kids behaved appropriately and were a joy.

So I've had a great day.

Now I can't wait to see Rise of the Guardians and The Hobbit, although those Ring movies are very confusing for me.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
i think we should fly the castle flag at half-mast today...

Twinkies and DingDongs have gone out of business.

A little piece of the American Way has died.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

But we still have milkshakes. :)

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score

I know, and I've never eaten either. In fact, I don't even know what they look like. And I've lived in the US for years.

Did I miss out?

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from the movies. Took a van load of 4-6 graders to see Wreck It Ralph. I didn't think I was going to like it at all because I'd heard it was about video games.

I loved it. Laughed out loud. Almost cried for Glitch. Cheered for the budding romance, and found King Candy hilarious.

I have a question - is there anything at all, remotely scary in it? I'm talking about a 7 yo who was scared by Brave as it was too atmospheric (eg the going through the forest to the witch's house scene.)

I don't want to spend almost fifty bucks taking the kids to the movies then spend the entire time sitting waiting in the foyer with one who doesn't like it. But it's always hard to tell from reviews if there are scenes that would scare a sensitive kid.

Anything scary? At all?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Britwriter - possibly. Ralph is really big and becomes angry and rather intimidating. But he doesn't hurt anyone.

But he does release some bugs in another game that are threatening to destroy it, and the heroes of the bug game all have big guns and there is a lot of shooting. And the heroine of that game is a bit like a GI Jane, so her voice is gruff and she's quite bossy.

There's also a couple of scenes with King Candy that could be perceived as rather threatening.

So I can see how it could frighten someone very sensitive toward that type of thing.

Hope that helps. It is a very fun movie, and the theater was filled with young children, but mine were older and so I hadn't looked at it from the viewpoint of a younger one that may be sensitive to the nuances of it.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yes, the alien shoot em up video game is very dark and dangerous and fast moving. there is also a little girl in peril crying in a very piteous way. i would not take your sensitive pumpkin to see it :)

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
OK, thanks! I'm glad I didn't waste the money. Will have to think of a different indoor treat for the weekend.....