• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Seymour Agency

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
Well I got my rejection today. No prayer card enclosed. NEXT....

MaCain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycaineditor.com
E-mail from Mary Sue

Just poking my head into this thread to tell you I'm one of Nicole's clients, and I couldn't be happier with her. She's responsive, energetic, kind, and when it comes to making sales, she doesn't screw around. When I signed with her, I had two mss under my belt, and she sold them both within six months.

Good luck to those of you waiting on partials/fulls. If it's any consolation, she stays super busy because she's busting tail for her clients, and that's what you want in an agent!

To begin with, I loved, loved, loved Sultry With a Twist and can't wait for your next book, which is high praise because I am super critical. I had no idea you were a client of Nicole's.

Mary Sue asked for my full about three months ago, and the other day she sent me an email verifying she still had my exclusive submission it had reached the top of her reading pile. I have no guess what happens next.

akirayuki

Registered
Reaction score
Three months later...and no answer still. I am wondering if this is a bad sign? I did have two other full requests out and just nudged Nichole. Sigh...the literary world is brutal.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
MaCain and Akirayuki,

Normal wait time for them. Hopefully you'll hear something soon, but they are not quick, that's for sure. And if you mailed them the full (MarySue) you may just get an email response back before you receive the full back (if you sent a pre-paid envelope). It took forever for the full to come back...

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
To begin with, I loved, loved, loved Sultry With a Twist and can't wait for your next book, which is high praise because I am super critical. I had no idea you were a client of Nicole's.

Mary Sue asked for my full about three months ago, and the other day she sent me an email verifying she still had my exclusive submission it had reached the top of her reading pile. I have no guess what happens next.

Aww, thank you! And good luck!

AM_Lyvers

Wonder Brat
Registered
Reaction score
The waiting game...

Just thought I'd share but last March 2012, Nicole requested my SF 109K and had it until December. I only nudged her after 6 months, then 3 months later to which she got back to me during the holidays with a very encouraging email. She said that SF isn't moving much lately, but she really wants to sign my ms and asked if I had written anything else. I did because I was writing a nu book during the wait time and just sent it to her last week (another SF 110K). You never know when people will get back to you so keep querying and keep writing because if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have had anything to show her. Perish the thought.

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
I met Nicole at a conference in October. She had been the judge in the writing contest I was a finalist in, so she'd read a piece of my work already. I pitched two books to her, and she requested fulls of both. Sent them early November. We're creeping up on the four month mark, but I have no idea what a normal wait time is when you've sent two manuscripts rather than one. And I just finished writing a third, so if that's ready before she gets back to me, I'm not sure if I should let her know I have another one.

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
Three months later...and no answer still. I am wondering if this is a bad sign? I did have two other full requests out and just nudged Nichole. Sigh...the literary world is brutal.

I just got my rejection this week from a submission I made in October with another agent. However Mary Sue's rejection was quite swift. So I guess there's no telling.

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I should check in here - Mary Sue is my agent, and I have to say that she is remarkably swift at getting back to people. It isn't uncommon that I'll send her an email with a question and have a response within twenty minutes. She's incredibly dedicated, but also very concise with her communications.

I've sent a few things to Nicole, as she reps genres that Mary Sue does not, and she's usually incredibly busy/backlogged, and may need a follow-up email or two.

MadameApeFace

Registered
Reaction score
Either way, I'm sure she'll let you know if she's still considering it when she replies-- in my experience, I've only had to touch base with her once or twice when I've been awaiting a response, and she usually gets back fairly quickly.

MadameApeFace

Registered
Reaction score
If you wrote two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything, I don't think it would hurt to send another quick reminder -- just a short note referencing your project and asking if she's had a chance to review it, yet.

Five months seems like plenty of time (to me,) but I've never queried multiple projects at once, so what the heck do I know? :)

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice! She requested two manuscripts of mine, so I wasn't sure about the wait time for that. :)

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to how often she asks for a hard copy. She asked for a hard copy of my entire manuscript.

MadameApeFace

Registered
Reaction score
Railroad, when I pitched to her (2010), she requested hard copies exclusively. For the last year or so I've been sending her exclusively electronic materials, but most of it is based on publisher preference, I believe.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with Nicole recently? I sent her a requested full manuscript way back in January and never heard a peep. Assuming that long of a wait means "Nope".

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with Nicole recently? I sent her a requested full manuscript way back in January and never heard a peep. Assuming that long of a wait means "Nope".

Did you email and ask her? I haven't had much luck with her. She judged a contest I was a finalist in last year and later, after I pitched to her, asked for two of my manuscripts. That was LAST October. I nudged after six months or so, with no response. I nudged again after two offers of representation, and still never got a response from her.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent interactions with this agency?

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query at the beginning of May to Nicole. As it's been past the suggested three weeks, I don't expect a reply now. Shame. They have a lovely ethos and seem pleasant people.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Misinterpreted that for some bizarro reason. Actually, the info I've been finding is 55,000 - 70,000 is the sweet spot and I'm around 46,000.

Last edited: