The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Don! You might try the Share Your Work area for some critique help.

I'm with Filigree. Agents take on unpublished authors all the time. As for your last point, you should have something finished when you start querying agents. Good luck!

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Don, see the pertinent references in www.umbachconsulting.com/pursuit.pdf (with my compliments).

There is always a market for something compelling and with an accessible audience, professionally presented.

--Ken

Thank You, Ken! I read your publication cover to cover. Some of it I knew from a couple of other books I've read; much of it I didn't. I know so much more than I did 7 years ago, and now I'm trying to do the hard work of getting published. I will not get scammed again.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Hi, Don. Congrats on your impending freedom.

Material published on a blog, no matter how obscure, is considered published. You might do fine self publishing it in book form, but few agents and editors are going to want it unless 1) it's been heavily revised and 2) there is a lot of readership potential.

Query agents on single projects only. Once you catch their interest, then you can discuss your career.

Agents and editors take on unpublished writers all the time. The story matters more than your publishing history.

AW has a great self-publishing section and a good memoir forum, if that's your thing.

Thanks, Filigree. The more I learn, the more I see that I have still to do. Long way to go yet. I'm eating the elephant one bite at a time.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Congratulations, Don! You might try the Share Your Work area for some critique help.

I'm with Filigree. Agents take on unpublished authors all the time. As for your last point, you should have something finished when you start querying agents. Good luck!

Thank You, JulieB.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Don! October 27 for me. This autumn is going to be momentous, my PA freedom being one of the many good things set to happen.

Most of your questions have been answered in other fora, but feel free to start some new threads in the relevant areas for stuff that you can't find answers to. There is even a subforum for Christian writers, as well as game threads and all sorts of good stuff, both informative and fun. I would love to see you around more places of AW. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for you for being so open about your PA experiences when I came here with my own tale of woe.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Hey Don and Chris, congrats on your upcoming freedom from PA. I've read a lot of horror stories about that particular publisher and am avoiding them like yesterday's garbage.

Query: If one of their currently enchained authors refers someone else to publish with them, do they give kickbacks to the referrer?

I was wondering because someone offered to put in a good word for me with PA. I turned it down, even though I didn't know their reputation at the time. I want to make it on my own, not through someone else's help for the record. Since I've found out about their reputation, I'm really glad I went with my gut and said, "No thank you!". I'd rather get on with a good publisher, either self publisher or traditional publishing house, thank you....

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I was wondering because someone offered to put in a good word for me with PA.

I can see this happening with an agent if one of their current clients read your manuscript. But PA? With fifty thousand "happy authors", do they even know off the bat who's signed up with them? And would they have any reason to respect that person's judgment when it came to manuscripts?

This is all ignoring the fact that they'll publish anything, of course. Good call on avoiding them.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I can see this happening with an agent if one of their current clients read your manuscript. But PA? With fifty thousand "happy authors", do they even know off the bat who's signed up with them? And would they have any reason to respect that person's judgment when it came to manuscripts?

This is all ignoring the fact that they'll publish anything, of course. Good call on avoiding them.

Good points and you're more than likely right on all of them. Thanks. :)

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything to deny the confirmation or confirm the denial, but the scuttlebutt going around RT Booklovers Convention after the FAN-tastic Day Giant Book Signing is Guinness World Records will be awarding the plaque for Largest Book Signing to RT. I'll keep everybody posted if/when I hear something.

A list of the authors who appeared.

Last edited:

Munday Mack

Registered
Reaction score
Checking back in. Its been awhile since I dropped by. I heard PA changed to America Star. I was hoping I would read somewhere that would make my contract with them void lol. Wishful thinking. I've scanned through the previous threads but didn't notice any good news. (Btw, Congrats Don on your upcoming freedom. I still have a year left). But doesn't any of this mean (by the name change) that PA cannot sell our books under America Star, by contract? I mean, I didn't sign a contract with AS. I signed it unfortunately, with PA (Although they are the same, I know). Is there any good news out there? Lastly, Don, what steps did you, or are you taking exactly to make certain that PA/AS won't have you by the coat tails as you try to leave?. I'm personally worried that once my contract ends, PA/AS will still have my book listed on Amazon and I won't be able to get it off. Thanks in advance for your reply.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but the name change still means your contract is in force.

Don may have some other specific advice for you, but mine is to check your contract. Some simply expire after the contract period, while others will automatically renew unless you take action.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm personally worried that once my contract ends, PA/AS will still have my book listed on Amazon and I won't be able to get it off.

PA won't do anything after the book contract is over. You'll be lucky if they stop sending you royalty statements five years down the road. I still receive one occasionally and I sent them a cease and desist letter about it a couple of years ago. And... once they stop printing the book Amazon won't take it down. There will still be people out there claiming they have a used copy trying to sell it for ridiculous prices. Mine is still listed and the book has been out of print since Nov. 2006. Even today there are several people trying to sell copies. Some of them do have copies because I contacted the sellers and asked them, but I don't know about all of them.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Checking back in. Its been awhile since I dropped by. I heard PA changed to America Star. I was hoping I would read somewhere that would make my contract with them void lol. Wishful thinking. I've scanned through the previous threads but didn't notice any good news. (Btw, Congrats Don on your upcoming freedom. I still have a year left). But doesn't any of this mean (by the name change) that PA cannot sell our books under America Star, by contract? I mean, I didn't sign a contract with AS. I signed it unfortunately, with PA (Although they are the same, I know). Is there any good news out there? Lastly, Don, what steps did you, or are you taking exactly to make certain that PA/AS won't have you by the coat tails as you try to leave?. I'm personally worried that once my contract ends, PA/AS will still have my book listed on Amazon and I won't be able to get it off. Thanks in advance for your reply.

First, read your contract. Mine said it would automatically renew unless I sent them written notice (via U.S. mail, not email) at least 90 days before the expiration of my contract, saying that I do not wish to renew. I sent them that written notice, and got a written acknowledgement, long ago. Both are posted on my web site.

I have already prepared an email that I plan to send to PA on the expiration date (which is now only days away), telling them to remove my book from their online bookstore and to notify other web sites that they are no longer authorized to sell my book. I'll post a copy on my web site once I have sent it off.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
I have already prepared an email that I plan to send to PA on the expiration date (which is now only days away), telling them to remove my book from their online bookstore and to notify other web sites that they are no longer authorized to sell my book. I'll post a copy on my web site once I have sent it off.

Congrats on your upcoming freedom. Be prepared to contact booksellers yourself, where you see your book listed, and let them know the book is no longer available. PA didn't do it for mine. PA only does things that benefit PA, no matter their new business name.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com

Munday Mack: Here's a good reason to keep copies of the non-renewal letter and PA's response. (Send it via certified mail if they don't acknowledge the first letter.)

I emailed PA on Sunday about the contract ending, and a few days later received an email conceding that the contract has expired. But first they tried to tell me that it had been renewed!!! Because I could quote them chapter and verse from their own acknowledgement of my non-renewal letter (and offered to send them a copy), they quickly backed down. I'll be posting the email exchanges on my web site soon.

Anyway, I'm free!!! :partyguy: :snoopy: :hooray:

Never again.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
So happy for you Don. I know that feeling and it's very liberating.

A Scribe

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Don! FREEDOM!

I still have two full years to go, but I can wait it out. I've been self-publishing other books of mine that sell okay so I'm not really in any haste anymore to have the publishing rights returned of the one that vanity press, PublishAmerica / America Star Books, is holding hostage, hoping I'll buckle and pay their outrageous ransom.

I've already written and sent my letter not to renew the contract, sending it certified mail with return receipt requested. I asked them via e-mail to please send written verification of receipt of my letter (although I do have a copy of the letter and the green return receipt) notifying them of my desire to terminate the contract - and mistakenly noted that it is per the contract. As expected, I get a clipped, tone letter via e-mail.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:59 PM
Subject: XXXXXXX: request denied

Dear {Name redacted}:

No, that is not "per the contract." Request denied.

PublishAmerica Support
http://publishamerica.com/support/

So I write them again right after:

Dear PublishAmerica Support,

I do not understand why my request to have written confirmation that you have received my letter in writing on 04/04/2013 not to renew my contract beyond 08/24/2016 with your company is denied?

Therefore, I am repeating my request for written confirmation. If you were offended by the three words, "per the contract", then I retract them, but I still want a written letter from your company confirming receipt of the letter that I had sent to you on 04/01/2013 and what you have signed for receipt on 04/04/2013 with the acknowledgment that the contract expires on 08/24/2016 not 08/24/2017 (as you have previously but erroneously assumed) and that I have chosen not to extend the contract beyond that original expiration date.

I hope PublishAmerica is willing to do this as a courtesy.

Sincerely,
(Redacted)

As per their habitual abusive treatment of their customers - I mean, authors - they never wrote me back concerning the above. Instead, two months later, they have the unmitigated gall to send me another sales letter to have my book translated. I had to send them my FOURTH cease and desist letter to not contact me with their marketing e-mails again. They'd sent a couple more before it finally stopped. Then in February this year, they write me to tell me that they needed to update my files in order to send me a royalty payment of a little over $2 bucks. I send them the information and to this day, I have yet to see the $2 dollars. They're so pathetic.