• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Belcastro Agency (Sharon Belcastro)

obscure

Registered
Reaction score
Obscure, has she sold your book?

Not yet. But the MS has only been submitted for a couple of months, which as you probably know is like a millisecond in publishing time. I do have major houses reading, and have gotten feedback from well-known editors. I'm upbeat about a possible sale.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
When your book sells, please let us know. If Sharon remains silent, presumably she is willing to let her record of sales speak for her.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Not yet. But the MS has only been submitted for a couple of months, which as you probably know is like a millisecond in publishing time. I do have major houses reading, and have gotten feedback from well-known editors. I'm upbeat about a possible sale.

Hi Obscure:

I'm just wondering if you could share with us the questions you asked of her and her answers prior to signing. It would be very helpful and instructive to writers if they knew even the tiniest fragment of her competency. As you know, there are a heck of a lot of people calling themselves agents out there and it is one of the great mysteries of life as to why there is so much cloak and dagger relating to their experience in the industry.

Would you be kind enough to share that information? We would all be very grateful.

Cheers.

obscure

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Obscure:

I would be grateful, (as I'm sure others would be) if you might share with the forum the questions you asked and the responses you received. It would be most helpful for everyone to learn a little bit more about this agent.

Cheers.

I'll share some of the questions I asked, and some of her replies. Please note these questions and answers are from May 2008.

Are you a member of the Association of Authors’ Representatives?
No but I follow their code of conduct to the letter.

What are your policies about charging clients for expenses incurred by your agency? Will you list such expenses for me? Do you advance money for such expenses? Do you consult with your clients before advancing certain expenditures? Is there a ceiling on such expenses above which you feel you must consult with your clients?
I do not require my clients to pay for postage, supplies, nothing. I
handle all of that. However, I don't cover copyright fees. I leave it to
you to copyright your work.

Can you tell me which houses you have sold to?
John Blake Publishing / Six Point Harness in LA (deal for a screenplay)
Currently working on deal with Harper Collins
Current writers have work being read by Harper, Houghton, Random House,
Simon and Schuster, etc. I have made contacts within all the big houses.

These are just some of the things I asked. As I said before, I'm happy with Sharon's representation. If you want to know something specific, let me know and I'll be happy to try an answer.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! That's helpful. I have another question or two for you. How did you hear about this thread, and if Sharon has repped you since last summer, why did you wait until today to make your first post at AW?

obscure

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! That's helpful. I have another question or two for you. How did you hear about this thread, and if Sharon has repped you since last summer, why did you wait until today to make your first post at AW?

So really, reading between the lines here, you want to know if I'm Sharon in disguise, right?

I'm not. I am a writer in Denver, CO. I read this thread before I accepted her offer, worried about accepting her offer because of her lack of sales, researched the web, and finally decided to take a chance. I read the comments about why be repped by someone who lacks sales or experience, read about the worry over location, but in the end it boiled down to, here was someone willing to take a risk with me, and let my work be seen by editors at major houses, who if not for Sharon, wouldn't see it at all.

I used AW for reseaching every agent I've ever queried. As to why my sudden appearance on AW, well, I offically signed with Sharon in August (due to my day job), and really there wasn't anything happening on this thread until I read your post, and I decided to share my experience with her.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Obscure, I am happy that you didn't take offense at being suspected of being a sockpuppet for Sharon. Welcome to AW. If you are not a sockpuppet, you will no doubt find the forums a great asset to your writing career. I hope Sharon is as much of an asset. I wish you well with your first book!

obscure

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Obscure, I am happy that you didn't take offense at being suspected of being a sockpuppet for Sharon. Welcome to AW. If you are not a sockpuppet, you will no doubt find the forums a great asset to your writing career. I hope Sharon is as much of an asset. I wish you well with your first book!

Thanks. No offense taken. I'd suspect the same if I read this thread. Good luck to you as well.

cppeace

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I contacted Ms. Belcastro to ask her contact info and fields of interest and she was quick to respond and very nice.
I also discovered that she's not alone in her agency any more.. I didn't get the name but she says that she has a partner.

This was the answer I received when I emailed her about guidelines.

An email query with synopsis of your work is fine. If it peaks our interest we will ask for manuscript or proposal (nonfiction) via email.

I specialize in women's and young adult fantasy (dark and urban and occasionally epic). I also look at commercial female fiction and biographies. My partner likes crime and middle grade fiction. However that doesn't rule other stuff out. Only thing we absolutely don't take is political and religious/spirtual.

Anybody had any recent dealings with her or her partner?

Cya,
Cp

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I'll share some of the questions I asked, and some of her replies. Please note these questions and answers are from May 2008.

What are your policies about charging clients for expenses incurred by your agency? Will you list such expenses for me? Do you advance money for such expenses? Do you consult with your clients before advancing certain expenditures? Is there a ceiling on such expenses above which you feel you must consult with your clients?
I do not require my clients to pay for postage, supplies, nothing. I
handle all of that. However, I don't cover copyright fees. I leave it to
you to copyright your work.

Not pointed specifically at you Obscure, but isn't her answer about copyright bad advice? I was under the impression it's the publisher who's responsible for registering the copyright, not the author or even the agent.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score

I can't find her address anywhere, only a phone number and an email address. What is her address?

cppeace

Registered
Reaction score
Hey again everyone..
Contacted one of her other clients... She gets high praise as a hard worker.. Very honest and stays in great contact every step of the way... Is a smaller agent though, mostly has contacts to smaller presses.. But has sold work and is legit... She knows her current limits and will tell yo uif she thinks she can or can't be of help with your project...

Cya,
Cp

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Patty Sferra from this agency has just asked for my full, after reading the first 3 chapters, she said it held her interest and she would like to read more.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Anything more recent on Ms. Belcastro?

I just received a request for a full from her. I can't find anything new from her except that Ashley J. Barnard is a new author working with her and she's publishing a book with a small press in October.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If it peaks our interest we will ask for manuscript or proposal (nonfiction) via email.

I should have read this before I submitted.

Anyone who says, "peaks", when they mean, "piques", has no place in the business of writing...

"Thanks for sharing "______". The voice just didnt' grab me.
Fortunately everyone's taste differs so best of luck in finding
representation."

That's all I get on a full?

Last edited:

NickSaw

Novelist for Sale
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicksawatsky.blogspot.com
Anyone have more information on this agency? She just requested a full yesterday and seemed very nice, but an agent with such little readily available information and sale records seems like something to be weary of.