Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
How is everyone doing?

Over the weekend I went out to see my daughter and take her some new stuff I made. I was pleased that she gave me some money she got from selling some of my stuff to the gals she works with. :D

(Wish I could do that with my written work. lol)

This week I have been putting together some necklaces for little girls. They are so cute and pretty. Hope they feel like little queens when they wear them. ;)

After Christmas I plan on putting together some cameo sets. Thought I would make them for mommy, daughter, and grandma. They could kind of start handing them down for generations to come. I think it will be fun to do.

Also plan on doing some blinging up on some cuff bracelets. I like the way you can stain and develop looks. Anyone here ever do any of them?

What all are you all working on?

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread, cactuswendy! I'm just learning tatting, and tatters can use beads in the pieces. I'm a noob when it comes to beads, so this thread has been a great resource.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Been crocheting my fingers off for presents this year lol.

However, I'm trading some beadwork for an online writing workshop starting in Jan. I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My mom was a tatter. She could not slow down the shuttle slow enough for me to follow/see how/what she was doing. She made some really pretty things.

I like to crochet but have not done any in a number of years. (You can only make so many blankets.....lol) I never progressed to much of anything else with it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Rose Collar

I dug around and found this image of a gourd-stitch and right-angle-weave stitch beadwork collar. I did this in 2000, and it's long since been sold. But it was a fun piece. The clasp is silver, the white dangles are moonstone. The rest is glass seed beads, in a motif of rose vines wrapping a metal cable.

RoseCollar.jpg

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning work. Holy Cow!!!!

I have a question for beaders out there. Do you know of any way to fasten a bracelet without using metal? I'm making my mother a bracelet for Christmas but she is allergic to all metal (gold, silver, platinum). Freakishly allergic. Do they have bone or other type toggles? Or, any other ideas?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Many companies sell shell or bone toggles. You can use glass, shell, or wooden buttons, too. And Bead & Button Magazine has had numerous articles on how to build a toggle clasp with different beadwork stitches.
Imagine, a toggle that matches your project!

Here's a relatively easy one: cut a thin 1/8" wooden dowel or stick into a piece 1" to 1.5" long. Paint it or stain it to hide the raw wood. Encase it in herringbone, right-angle weave, or gourd stitch tube. Cap the ends with larger round beads. Make a central collar to wrap around the toggle, stitch it in place, then make a beaded loop to attach it to your necklace or bracelet project. All you have to do then is make a loop of seed beads just big enough to slip over the toggle, sew that to the other end of the piece, and you're done.

For bracelets, I always include a loosely-woven beaded safety strap about 2" to 3.5" long. Should the toggle come off, the bracelet will stay on the wearer's wrist long enough for them to notice it's loose.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Fili, that is so pretty. It looks very time consuming too. Wow.

I ran across another site for cheaper supplies the other day. It is

Aliexpress.com

What a fun time eating site. :D But, the prices are great. I have ordered some things. Will let you know the quality when I get them.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning work. Holy Cow!!!!

I have a question for beaders out there. Do you know of any way to fasten a bracelet without using metal? I'm making my mother a bracelet for Christmas but she is allergic to all metal (gold, silver, platinum). Freakishly allergic. Do they have bone or other type toggles? Or, any other ideas?

You can also make beaded toggles. Pretty easy to do. a few ideas:

Make a tube with peyote or brick stitch, just wide enough to slip through a loop on the other side.

You can do the same with a button or bead. Just make sure the loop doesn't slip off.

or make the cuff just wide enough for her to slip her hand through.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The last couple of nights I have spent a number of hours searching out something about the 'how to make cotton pearls'. I have been to tons of sites but nothing that gives instructions. I am guessing this is an old technique and appears that in Japan they still make them.

If anyone knows or can direct me to a site that could give me the how part I would be really pleased.

How is everyone doing? If I don't get to say it later.....may you all have a happy holiday time. :D

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Alright folks, I need help. I have been toying with elastic stretchy "thread" for bracelets and I'm clueless as to how to finish them off so I can't see the dang knots and such. Any ideas?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I usually don't work with it, but I'm making bracelets for kids (ages 5-7) and I want them to be super durable.

I'm just super picky about leaving knots and such showing. Boo!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Red and gold necklace

This one started with an orange-red CZ marquise pendant I got on ridiculous sale at Michael's. It's been a while since I made a right-angle weave chain, so I wanted to get back into it. Then I had to make a button clasp for it. Then the central slider bead looked lost, so it needed gourd-stitch tapered beads on either side. And, as usual, things got out of hand.

I like it, and it happens to go well with a red silk outfit of mine.

CraneJewelry--Redandgoldnecklace.jpg

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. I have not tried the elastic either. I am still a baby. lol

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'd forgotten how much I love right-angle weave. It's just so satisfying when it's done well: a super-strong, supple, silky rope of color. It can be filled with an interior cord, but I like to double-weave through all beads so I can have an openwork structure.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I'd forgotten how much I love right-angle weave. It's just so satisfying when it's done well: a super-strong, supple, silky rope of color. It can be filled with an interior cord, but I like to double-weave through all beads so I can have an openwork structure.

I use various RAW patterns for bases for other projects. It's easy and very sturdy.

Very nice necklace :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I use all sorts of clasps. Buttons, toggles, metal and snaps. Just depends on the piece I am working on at the time.