• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing...he's got my full as well. *g*

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Well, they are a new agency looking for new clients. Hopefully they will want us all; or at least, if not, give constructive feedback on how to improve it so that they WILL want it.

Do agents often do that? If there is a ms that they think is promising, but needs a little "something extra", will they tell the author, "We'll consider you if you fix such and such?"

Even that would be a step up than just a flat out rejection.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Toni1953 said:
Well, they are a new agency looking for new clients. Hopefully they will want us all; or at least, if not, give constructive feedback on how to improve it so that they WILL want it.

Do agents often do that? If there is a ms that they think is promising, but needs a little "something extra", will they tell the author, "We'll consider you if you fix such and such?"

Even that would be a step up than just a flat out rejection.

I've been down that road before, actually. I had one agent at a superfancy agency like my manuscript, but passed because her list was full. She passed me on to another agent in the same house, and that agent came back with rewrites (twice, actually) before she could offer representation. I did the rewrites, and she still came back and declined me. The reason? A different one than she had me rewrite for.

Either I just got unlucky or my manuscript didn't have that spark she was looking for.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get that, why ask for rewrites--and then still pass?

Why not put all the cards on the table and go from there?

Still got all fingers and toes crossed for us.;)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I don't think it happens often. :) I rewrote the partial once to make it more like my pitch, and then after that, she asked for the full. I sent the full, and she wanted me to 'speed up the front end' so I did.

She rejected me and said that the plotline was too confusing. I was *terribly* disappointed because they are such a HUGE agency and I'd worked with them for so long (months and months). And to come that close! She'd even called me to discuss rewrites.

I guess in the end she didn't think she could sell it.

I've heard of other people having similar situations, but it usually does end up with acceptance. I'm just the lucky one. *g* (Either that, or my manuscript is that awful)

And fingers crossed on this end here!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
i forgot where i got his name from, but i emailed him a query and he asked to see the first three chapters, bio, and synopsis. then 48 hours later he requested i send him the full ms, which i did two weeks ago, but i have no idea of the timeframe after he receives the full.

Anyone have any experience with that? I imagine it's probably the standard 4-8 weeks.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Folio are being busy. Another of my writing friends has just had a request for first 3 chapters from Jenny Rappaport.

IMHO it is always a good idea to ask an agent for some kind of a timeline when you send a full manuscript.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I probably should have asked but truthfully i was just so excited that I sent the materials without questioning.

however, it's not on an exclusive basis so I can continue to submit to other places, which isn't a bad idea,actually.

Never pays to put all your eggs in one basket.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I believe somewhere on the website I thought it said 6-8 weeks for a full, but I could be mistaken.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
It Must be catching!

Wow! I got a just request for a partial from Jenny Rappaport, too!

I was so startled that when I first saw this thread I was convinced it was something bad.
Tomorrow morning, me and the post office!

Wow!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid you'll have to count me out of the equation now. I just wrote Mr. Hoffman to let him know that I'd accepted representation elsewhere.

For the record Mr. Hoffman was extremely polite and friendly. He was so very nice--I wish everyone luck with him!

:)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It says on the website to give them a month.

My partials will have only just got there.