• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kimberley Cameron & Assocs. (formerly Reece Halsey North Lit. Agency)

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
On March 29th I queried Kimberley Cameron. It shows in my email that they sent, but here it is August and still I've received no response. On their website it says:

On rare occasion, submissions get lost. Please do not hesitate to send a follow-up email if you haven't received a response within four weeks of submitting.

Since it's been way over four weeks and they receive so many queries, should I just resend everything?

Also, on their website it says:

Include a writing sample with your query (no more than fifty pages) and a one page synopsis. Please attach the writing sample and synopsis as separate Word documents.

I just realized that they meant to send the query and sample together, and then the synopsis. At the time I thought they meant they wanted the query, the writing sample, and the synopsis in 3 separate emails. Now I see they meant two emails. Do you think that's why they didn't respond, even with a rejection? On my end, it was an honest misunderstanding.

58 day email rejection from them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That's another problem. I'm so used to reading that attachments will not be opened, so when I read "We have difficulties opening Zip drives and other attachments" I thought that meant no attachments. (What else could it mean?) But I guess that's not what they meant. I guess I'll just resend. The worst that can happen is that they don't open it.

Thanks for your help. :)
You're welcome. :)

FWIW, agents don't try to be tricky. If they mean "no attachments", they'll say "no attachments".

alexalex

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with April Eberhardt at this agency?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recently joined RHN from Andrea Brown. I'm not finding any record of sales with either agency.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I kindasorta know one of her clients, & met her at a Con in August. I liked her, she's cool & seems professional. But, she hadn't sold a ms she ended up signing after the '07 Con. I don't have any insight as to why, so here's a grain of salt to go along with that info.

She asked for a partial of my ms, but passed. She likes her fiction on the literary side & my writing just didn't ring her bells, but she was quick & kind about it.

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. :)

FWIW, agents don't try to be tricky. If they mean "no attachments", they'll say "no attachments".

One bit of conflicting info I noticed - while the web site says to attach sample pages and synopsis as Word docs, their Agent Query and Pub Marketplace pages say query letter with short synopsis. Nothing about attaching materials.

I encountered this same exact situation with another agency (conflicting submission info), and I went ahead and included the attachment. A rejection bounced back in ten minutes and I've always suspected the attachment. I plan to query RHN with no attachments just to be safe...

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
From an interview with April: Target the agent for whom you feel your work is the best fit and send a short e-mail query letter to that agent, along with the first 10 pages of your work. We do not open attachments, so the query must be in the body of your e-mail, and it should include publisher submission history and previous publishing credits, if applicable. Please put QUERY and the title of your work in the subject field of your e-mail.

Looks like I did the right thing! Thanks for the info.

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
From an interview with April: Target the agent for whom you feel your work is the best fit and send a short e-mail query letter to that agent, along with the first 10 pages of your work. We do not open attachments, so the query must be in the body of your e-mail, and it should include publisher submission history and previous publishing credits, if applicable. Please put QUERY and the title of your work in the subject field of your e-mail.

I found this interview. It was published when April was still with Andrea Brown Literary Agency, so it reflects the policies of her former employer, not those of Reece Halsey North. That said, if she likes what you have sent, she'll ask for more.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I found this interview. It was published when April was still with Andrea Brown Literary Agency, so it reflects the policies of her former employer, not those of Reece Halsey North. That said, if she likes what you have sent, she'll ask for more.

Agh! How stupid of me!

From their website:
2. Include a writing sample with your query (no more than fifty pages) and a one page synopsis. Please attach the writing sample and synopsis as separate Word documents. We have difficulties opening Zip drives and other attachments.
3. Be sure it says "Author Submission" in the subject box.

Last edited:

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
Agh! How stupid of me!

From their website:
2. Include a writing sample with your query (no more than fifty pages) and a one page synopsis. Please attach the writing sample and synopsis as separate Word documents. We have difficulties opening Zip drives and other attachments.
3. Be sure it says "Author Submission" in the subject box.

But do note that their AgentQuery and PubMark pages say query with short synopsis, and nothing about attachments. I've no idea which info is more up-to-date!

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
It is confusing, isn't it? Elizabeth Evans, the agent there I will be querying for my NF book says, on Agent Query, that she prefers e-queries and to attach the complete proposal with sample chapters. In my case, that's 80 pages. The agency's entry in the Writer's Digest 2009 Guide to Literary Agents says to query with SASE and, for novels, to include the first 50 pages.

I'm going to send an email query, attach the proposal as a Word document and hope for the best.

If you're feeling uncertain, perhaps you could phone the agency in the morning.

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
If you're feeling uncertain, perhaps you could phone the agency in the morning.

Thanks for the additional info! I ended up sending it yesterday with no attachments, just to be safe (I queried Kimberley). I did include sample pages in the email. As you said, if they're interested they'll ask for more.

jesmax

Registered
Reaction score
Reese Halsey

Does anyone know about Reese Halsey in San Francisco? Reputation with publishers? Success rate in terms of decent contracts, etc?

jesmax

Registered
Reaction score
I have read this thread. I'm hoping to learn more about the agency other than the discussion about attachments, etc. I've looked at the Reece Halsey website and have done web research, but wonder if anyone has other information in terms of their reputation and track record.
Thanks! Jesmax

ohjammer

Registered
Reaction score
Cheerful reject

Submitted a query, synopsis and 50 pages to Elizabeth Evans on 2/11. Got a cheerful generic back from Kimberly Cameron and M. Dinzeo on 4/7.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I've had some really good exchanges with Kimberly Cameron this year. She liked three of my novels, though she declined to represent me.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Cameron just asked for a synopsis and the first fifty. I sent her my query about 2 months ago. I have since changed the name of my manuscript. Should I just change it back to the name I sent to her?

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Cameron just asked for a synopsis and the first fifty. I sent her my query about 2 months ago. I have since changed the name of my manuscript. Should I just change it back to the name I sent to her?

Personally? I would change it back and in your email, tell her you were thnking of a name change, mentioning what it is. She may or may not say anything, but right now, I would send her the name she knows. Just my opinion:)

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll do that.
I was thinking.... maybe combining them showing the funny and edgy side

WANDERING CLUELESS THROUGH LIFE
(WHEN LIFE THROWS ROCKS AT YOU - DUCK!!)

Or just tell her at the end of the synopsis?

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll do that.
I was thinking.... maybe combining them showing the funny and edgy side

WANDERING CLUELESS THROUGH LIFE
(WHEN LIFE THROWS ROCKS AT YOU - DUCK!!)

Or just tell her at the end of the synopsis?

Honestly? Send the one that you queried her with, that's what she's shown interest in and is expecting to see. If she likes it enough to see the full, do a happy dance. The name of the thing can be changed at any time....if she decides to rep you, then I'm sure you'll talk on the phone or email a lot more...then you can say...hey, about that name, I was thinking.......

Know what I mean? I wouldn't jump to change it right now. While the title will be important, the work itself is what she's interested in right now.

Again, just my opinion here...it's up to you.

rtrgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried this agency lately? Do you know the response time? Many Thanks.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
The original request was about 3 weeks. It is the longest I have had...but all the others were immediate rejections. I sent her what she asked for last week. I expect about 6 weeks to hear. I have my fingers crossed.....

rtrgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Emerita! That's awesome.
This is my first time querying this agency.