• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Emma Sweeney Agency

Golani

Registered
Reaction score
I did submit elsewhere and now have 4 fulls and 2 partials outstanding. it's out of my hands!! thanks for the encouraging words! the only reason I posted about Emma is that she promised a one week turn around. I think if you do that, you at least owe the author an e-mail. right???

toodley-doo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all -- wowee! First post, though I've been lurking for a while. I'm in the same boat as Jamie B, MarkEsq, Golani, and who knows how many others. Keep checking in for your news while I'm waiting, waiting, waiting. *sigh* Perhaps she's just really, really busy with all of our fulls, but the light at the end of the tunnel seems to dim as the weeks pass.

In the meantime, the endless information on this site and the untold hours of those who post it is something to behold. My list of desirable agents grows and grows.

Good luck to all --

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
Drum roll please....

I got a response!! Yesterday I sent another email just to let Ms. Sweeny know that I was able to accomodate an exclusive if she was still interested. Today she wrote a nice response back that she really like the heroine and loved the premise but at a certain point it fell flat and became predictable. (This isn't the first time I've heard that!) But, she said if I decide to rewrite that she would take a look.

Very nice and personalized. I definately need to rework the plot...back to the drawing board!

Best of luck all!

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Drum roll please....

I got a response!! Yesterday I sent another email just to let Ms. Sweeny know that I was able to accomodate an exclusive if she was still interested. Today she wrote a nice response back that she really like the heroine and loved the premise but at a certain point it fell flat and became predictable. (This isn't the first time I've heard that!) But, she said if I decide to rewrite that she would take a look.

Very nice and personalized. I definately need to rework the plot...back to the drawing board!

Best of luck all!

Thanks for the update and sorry about the response, but get to work because it seems like you have something good to work with. I still have heard nothing but don't want to poke for fear of provoking an untimely "no"! Silly, maybe, but there you have it. :)

Golani

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there everybody! I have given up on this agent but, thank goodness, have others still interested. One of the things I'm thankful for this year is this site and all the encouragement you folks offer each other. May the new year bring many contracts our way! ....'yes we can!'

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent experience with Ms. Sweeney? Specifically looking for response times for requested materials. My full has been out to her for 4+ months. I sent an email to check status at 2.5 months and got a reply that they received it and will get to it. Sent another status check a few weeks ago and heard nothing back.

Do I keep status checking every month? Check back when it hits the 6 month mark?

I can be patient, I know that agents are swamped with meetings and trying to sell current clients. I just don't want to be forgotten in the shuffle.

Zsuzsi

Registered
Reaction score
Octavia:

I found her to be extremely responsive and easy to work with last year. Eventually, she passed on my first novel. Now, I am querying her once again. with my second novel. Haven't heard back from her yet this time but I will patiently wait because I found her to be such a superb human being and very responsive before. Your strategy sounds right.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Zsuzsi,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It confirms my impressions of her so far. The waiting is so hard though. I will spend all that nervous energy working on my new WIP I guess ;)

I would love to land Emma as an agent - she is really top-notch. Dare I say it, my dream agent.

Fingers crossed for good news.

toodley-doo

Registered
Reaction score
Octavia -- I submitted a full 8 months ago. Despite her initial excitement, she never responded to any of my status queries -- which seems to be the way she operates. My advice? Keep two of your fingers crossed, and keep the others busy querying other agents. Best of luck --

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
Ms. Sweeney emailed me last week regarding the ms I submitted last year that she suggested I revise and resubmit. I was shocked and amazed that an agent emailed me asking to see my work! I have rewritten as a YA ms and sent her the new pitch for it as I was still reworking a few things and waiting on a couple beta reads. I'm hoping to hear back from her....she did ask to read it again if I reworked it...but it's completely different. Should I just go ahead and send it?

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
JamieB - yes, go ahead and send it! Good luck :) I hope you have more success than I did with her with my R&R. fingers crossed for you!

toodley-doo

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Jamie, send it! Maybe she'll love the new version or some combo of the two. Wishing you the best of luck. I hope it works out.

Reading that you heard from her after so long gave me a little jolt, but I refuse to hope that the same might happen for me. Revisiting that would be like picking at a scab. (Sorry if that's too eewww.) She was one of the first agents I queried, and not hearing a single word from her after submitting and then sending a few monthly status queries left me discouraged. And disappointed -- in her. Sure, she's a top agent, and sure, she's busy, but sending someone your full at their request is like stripping for them. It warrants a reaction, good or bad. Call it a courtesy thing. Or respect.

Enough venting. Hope the best for you and your manuscript. Will keep checking in to hear how it goes --

Last edited:

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I never heard anything from her either, so I wrote it off.

a. climacus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her and never got a response, which I guess is a non-experience with her.

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here submitted to Justine Wenger? She's a Jr. Agent, new as of Fall '09.

Wondering if she has clients of her own yet.