• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you write in order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
(thinking just plain gets in the way for me, slows me up).

Is it difficult for you not to think while writing?

I always worry and second-guess myself and it really gets in the way of getting some good words down.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Is it difficult for you not to think while writing?

I always worry and second-guess myself and it really gets in the way of getting some good words down.

No, not really. Sometimes I just watch the screen while I type or I look over to the side at one of my dogs while I type. Music's playing or it's (semi)quiet in the house (unless they are lying down or sleeping my dogs are always making noise. I have 4). I'm always blown away after I finish and read through what I've written

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
A window into my out-of-order process

Right now, as I write this post, I'm switching to working on a WIP. Bye for now.

Okay, back. No, not really, but I already decided I would write that when I got back.

Really back. Last night, inspiration struck for the weekly erotica writing challenge. I'll come back and insert the link, but right now I want to get down my ideas while they're fresh. This is the first new project I've started since this thread came up. Before, I couldn't quite remember how my ideas came together. This time you can follow along.

I started out with a concept, which was one I've had on backlog. It came with a vague backstory. I fleshed that out a little more. Then I got a setting. I think I came up with a vague plot structure: at least two or three scenes. I started coming up with little snippets of dialogue and description and a bit of action, one or more of those for each scene. I didn't write any of this down. It was late and I didn't want to get wrapped up in it and be up all night.

I did do a little Internet research on my setting, and found out an escape might be necessary. So I did a little plot thinking on how to escape: through the window? Hiding in the garbage bin? Just falsify authority? I didn't really want to commit to the setting until I was sure I could make it work.

This morning I had some interesting dreams right before I woke up. It was almost five A.M. I lay in bed a little bit, and had a few ideas for my novel WIP. That made me get up, so I could make sure I get them down while they're hot. I wrote those down first. It was just some additional stuff for the chapter I'm rewriting. I had essentially written the same passage before, at a different point in the chapter or novel. Then I started writing down my dreams. I have three windows open right now. The third is the short story. I toggled back and forth. As I'd hit a stall on remembering ideas to write down for the dreams, I'd flip to the story. I wrote the opening. It came out in first person past from the male MC's POV. I wrote down / invented half-remembered dialogue and description for various other scenes scattered throughout the story.

Then it was bath time. I had a bunch more - actually mostly remembered - a bunch more ideas in the bath. Eventually my brain filled up and I mnemonically filed my ideas by remembering the letters PEFC, which spell part of perfect. I remembered a second E too. I also got the idea to write this post, and thought about what I would say and how it would be organized (not much as you can see).

When I got out of the bath, I started this post, then jotted down as much as I could remember of PEEFC, in dialogue or just outline points. I'm not sure I remembered C, although I do have a C topic as a subtopic of P. Maybe that was it.

Anyway, that catches me up to the present. So that's my out-of-order process. Sort of concept first, then important scenes, working down to details. But I'm not a total outliner. I won't have a complete set of cause and effect events written down in an outline before I start writing prose. I'm a semi-pantser. I like to let my characters decide where to go. They might make it so scenes I've started to conceive can't be used any more, but usually not.

I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't do this to some degree. Is the only difference whether you write it down? I write it down, because I don't want to forget

EDIT: Even while proofreading this post (which I do after I post) another idea for the short story popped up and I had to go jot it down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.