• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

using 'said'

Status
Not open for further replies.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Well, fwiw, I am reading Bernard Cornwell's latest novel (The Empty Throne), and he never uses em-dashes when he interrupts the dialogue for an action. He uses commas.
I have found another reason to love Cornwell.

My copyeditors want me to use these damn em-dashes. They correct me. It's House Style, I imagine.

Sometimes I have a little hissyfit and fight them on this. And they don't think it's worth fighting over.

Sometimes the editors have a little hissyfit and fight me on this and I don't think it's worth fighting over.

So there's a crazyquilt of usage in my books and I should decide how to do this and stick to it.
Which is what I think Cornwell is doing.
Good for him.

There's a lot of stylistic stuff where I disagree with CMOS. This is one set. And I bet a decade from now, CMOS will have different guidance, because CMOS is WRONG.
(grump grump grump)

All that said ... when I'm talking to other folks about grammar, I should go by the book.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to put an action in the middle of a quotation unless the speaker pauses.

It's a way of showing that the speaker doing something while she's talking, or of showing that she started doing something in the middle of talking. Writers do this all the time.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I have a file on my computer called Jo's Words of Wisdom. It just grew bigger. I can't thank you enough for all the advice you provide here on this forum, from your blog, and other footprints you leave in the sand scattered around the Internet.

You are a real treasure. :)

I'll second that.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I have found another reason to love Cornwell.

As if we needed more.

All that said ... when I'm talking to other folks about grammar, I should go by the book.

But the book will change, as you said.

I say, find a style you like. Use it to your heart's content. Then decide whether it's worth the fight when it conflicts with the publisher's house style. :D

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Well, fwiw, I am reading Bernard Cornwell's latest novel (The Empty Throne), and he never uses em-dashes when he interrupts the dialogue for an action. He uses commas.

I use commas when the interrupting action is more or less integrated with the dialog, and m-dashes when it's more separate or at odds with the dialog.

As to where the dividing line lies, "I know it when I see it." It's akin to the difference in visual pacing in a series of actions -- a separating comma is not very noticeable, while an m-dash makes for a harder break.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So long as I understand what I'm reading I don't care whether it's dashes or dots or....

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
But once you realise there's a difference, it damages the rhythm when you find someone inappropriately uses dots instead of dashes.

"Help! I'm fall--"
"Help! I'm fall..."

Quite messes up their SOS.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If one is correct and the other is not - yes, I prefer the correct one. But arguing over trivia is a waste of time.

But once you realise there's a difference, it damages the rhythm when you find someone inappropriately uses dots instead of dashes.

"Help! I'm fall--"
"Help! I'm fall..."

Quite messes up their SOS.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
But 'trivia' are exactly what distinguishes excellent writing from adequate writing: using the precise word or punctuation instead of the good-enough word or punctuation. A trivial difference that makes a difference.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
I use said exclusively. Unless it is a question. Then I use "asked." Never anything else. If I can, I make any action a separate sentence. Or leave out said altogether when I can get away with it.

And Ford Madox Ford made great use of dots.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Thanks! :)

So, in your own opinions though, is it better to use 'said' or just go to the action? (I know this is subjective, but I'd still like to know ;) )

Example:

“Fine,” she said, leaning against the counter in the kitchen area.

VS

“Fine.” She leaned against the counter in the kitchen area.
To my eye and ear, neither of this is inherently better than the other.

To me, the first one says she was already leaning against the counter when she spoke. The second one says she spoke, then leaned.

YMMV.

As for me, when I use dialogue tags, it's almost exclusively "said." I do replace a lot of my tags with action, which I usually place before the dialogue.

Penny drew her gun and sighted down the barrel at Joshua. "I can shoot the wings off a fly at 40 paces. You think I can't hit you hiding behind a little girl?"

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
But 'trivia' are exactly what distinguishes excellent writing from adequate writing: using the precise word or punctuation instead of the good-enough word or punctuation. A trivial difference that makes a difference.

I've never heard a classic writer praised for their excellent punctuation.

Re: the original tangent: I prefer to use the punctuation that best fits the amount of pause I intend in the flow of time. I think a comma is a shorter pause than a dash or an ellipsis. Sometimes I'd like to use commas to offset action in the middle of a sentence of dialogue, but I want to avoid this if people will assume because of standard usage that he's spitting his dialogue, instead of just spitting his tobacco.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I was watching my tags with this thread in mind as I wrote the other day. My inclination is to use tags infrequently (about every four or five paragraphs), but when I do tag, I use non-said tags almost exclusively. If I would have said said, I tend to leave it out. It's the occasions when I have reason to use an alternative tag that are an opportunity to keep the reader on track with who's speaking.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I've never heard a classic writer praised for their excellent punctuation.

Of course not. When it's right, it's invisible, but guides your eye nonetheless.

And I too distinguish length and type of pause or gap by comma, ellipsis, or m-dash -- in crude terms, slight, fading, and sharp respectively.

Last edited:

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
I was recently told to try removing most of the 'he/she said' and put in action instead.

Also, I saw on a few writing websites that it's better to replace 'said' by other words such as 'replied', 'asked', 'shouted', etc.

Just wondering about peoples' opinions on this!
Thank you! :)

When I started out writing I was always writing 'said' in my dialogue. I got very tired of writing that word, not only is it tiresome to write/read that word over and over again but it also acts as a "bringer-downer" to a piece. Switching it up, using words such as replied, asked, shouted, exclaimed, screamed etc etc and also just adding a short sentence between dialogue helps in making dialogue more exciting or interesting.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Just ran across commas (and not m-dashes) offsetting interrupting action in the book I'm reading right now.

It was very much along the lines of:

So if we're going here," he tapped the map with his finger, "it had better be soon."
The author is British, so maybe it's one of those cross-pond differences?

When I started out writing I was always writing 'said' in my dialogue. I got very tired of writing that word, not only is it tiresome to write/read that word over and over again but it also acts as a "bringer-downer" to a piece. Switching it up, using words such as replied, asked, shouted, exclaimed, screamed etc etc and also just adding a short sentence between dialogue helps in making dialogue more exciting or interesting.

Okay, but this is the exact opposite of the advice given by most craft books and editors, who state that said is invisible and that beginner writers often overuse the "colorful" tags. There are some writers who have managed to get away with making heavy use of them, but they often write with a rather wry or humorous style. Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett,a nd Joe Abercrombie come to mind.

Come to think of it, they're all British too. So maybe there's a voice some British writers have mastered that lets them get away with it?

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
It was very much along the lines of:

So if we're going here," he tapped the map with his finger, "it had better be soon."
The author is British, so maybe it's one of those cross-pond differences?

I regularly use that same structure, which I may or may not have caught from a Brit. To my ear it makes the dialog and the interrupting phrase more of a single action than do its cousins:

"So if we're going here," he said, and tapped the map with his finger, "it had better be soon.""
or
"So if we're going here," he said, tapping the map with his finger, "it had better be soon."

Either of which might be appropriate if slightly different pacing is desired.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
If one is correct and the other is not - yes, I prefer the correct one. But arguing over trivia is a waste of time.

Knowing the difference between Winsor Yellow and Cadmium Yellow will not make you a better painter, but I can almost promise you professional artists know this small difference at a glance.

Maybe part of craft is a fascination with the details.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
There's a lot of stylistic stuff where I disagree with CMOS. This is one set. And I bet a decade from now, CMOS will have different guidance, because CMOS is WRONG.
(grump grump grump)

You are in good company!

C.J. Cherryh on CMOS, excerpted from
http://www.cherryh.com/www/panel_room.htm
I detest the Chicago manual as a national disgrace, not only because it creates ugly combinations like ss's, but because I remember why it was created, and by whom it was created. It was a teaching device accompanying the New Math, and it was designed to dumb-down the rules of English to make it easier for see-it, say-it methods...later discredited and no longer used by enlightened school systems who now insist on higher standards, and phonics. But in that day, teachers voted on the changes,hoping to establish 'easier' English.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

It makes it more irritating.

I have a book sitting not two feet from me that I'm like halfway through, enjoy the story in, and have wanted to finish, but every time I pick it up, I end up putting it down a couple of pages later.

The tags are all about exclaiming, shouting, groaning, whining, etc. It makes the thing unreadable, it's so distracting.

Use said; let readers pay attention to the dialogue, not the tags.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

"But how often were you using any dialogue tag? I suspect that a lot of the objection to most forms of dialogue tag comes because too many are used, unnecessarily. Most writers I know who write good effective dialogue use direct attribution, in any form, sparingly. Most inexperienced writers whose manuscripts I've seen overuse dialogue tags, sometimes to the point of making my hair hurt," he pontificated.

caw

Euphoric Mania

Registered
Reaction score
I have a massive problem with "said". I'm glad this is here, lol.

It may just be me, but I really notice when I use "said", and it kind of drives me up the wall. I keep telling myself to do something more interesting than just repeat "he said, she said" through the text. So I've gotten really good at giving my characters stuff to do, or showing their reactions, etc.

"I don't know," he said.

vs

"I don't know." He was frowning unhappily.

(Maybe a clumsy example, but you catch my drift.)

To me it adds more depth, and creates a natural flow to the story.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's an answer to a question- as your example appears to be- you don't require any tag at all. The purpose of a tag is to identify the speaker and if the speaker is known a tag is not needed.

Adding actions such as you have should serve a purpose, really add something to the interpretation of the dialogue and not simply be ways of avoiding 'said', otherwise they add nothing to flow.

I have a massive problem with "said". I'm glad this is here, lol.

It may just be me, but I really notice when I use "said", and it kind of drives me up the wall. I keep telling myself to do something more interesting than just repeat "he said, she said" through the text. So I've gotten really good at giving my characters stuff to do, or showing their reactions, etc.

"I don't know," he said.

vs

"I don't know." He was frowning unhappily.

(Maybe a clumsy example, but you catch my drift.)

To me it adds more depth, and creates a natural flow to the story.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Okay. Thirty years of writing, reading, arguing and editing, has brought me round to believe that one should use all dialogue tags very sparingly. But when there may be need to reestablish just who is talking at a particular point then, use one (just “he/she said” is best) and get on with the story telling—for that is what it’s all about anyway.

Right?

*Course, slipping in a few actions--like: she said, dropping her nightie to the floor—can be most advantageous upon occasion. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.