• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

dialogue as first line

Status
Not open for further replies.

stw_ftw

Registered
Reaction score
What's the general rule about this? I read somewhere that you should get to the dialogue as soon as possible, but then I read somewhere else that editors dislike the first line of a sentence being a dialogue.

Thoughts?

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Like any method or technique there are always people on either side saying don’t do it. However, if it works in the story you are writing then it’s all good. The thing is, the only thing you actually have to do at the beginning is, introduce your main character(s), establish the setting, and move the story forward as soon as you can manage.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There is no "rule". Some object to dialogue as a first line, and you can probably find threads discussing that here. However, you can also find (I guarantee) plenty of novels in which the very first line is dialogue; A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess, immediately comes to mind.

A line or two of dialogue as an opening isn't a problem for me, as reader. What does get very quickly to be a problem, however, is a longer stretch of dialogue at the beginning. The difficulty is that it lacks moorings, and the reader doesn't have a context for the conversation.

caw

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
There's no rule (that I know of) that says you can't open a story with dialogue. If done well, it's a great tool for drawing the reader into the conversation, especially if it's really snappy and makes them think, "Woah, hey, what the heck are they talking about?" Starting with dialogue is also a good indicator that your opening scene isn't stagnant or composed entirely of exposition because it places your characters in a position where they're interacting with something (or, in this case, someone). Just make sure you establish the context of the scene alongside the dialogue. The reader needs to know who is talking to whom and why before they can begin investing in the story.

Good luck. :)

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
If you Google "Novel don't start with dialogue" (as I just did), you'll find dozens of different opinions. The first two websites said "don't do it". The next few said "it depends". One or two say that it's possible but risky because we don't know anything about the character who is speaking. Some others say that it doesn't matter.

As a reader, I don't really mind much. As long as the basic premise is interesting, I'll keep on reading. Frankly, I think first lines are over-rated. We might remember the odd choice gem, but generally we rush straight past them into the main part of the novel.

If you are worrying about it, then by all means don't start with dialogue. Don't take the risk. One of the most liberating things I ever learned about writing is that there's always another sentence. Always another way to write the same thing. Anything can be rewritten. Murder those dahlings.

As an experiment, I've pulled around twenty modern novels at random off my bookshelf. Two start with dialogue - most don't.

I suppose the difficult thing about starting with dialogue is that we don't know where we are, we don't know who is speaking, we don't know who they are talking to. That can be a good thing, because the reader wants to find these things out. Or it can be a good thing if the reader feels disorientated.

So I'd put it into the category of "doable but not so easy to do well". If you are learning the craft it may be a somersault that you shouldn't attempt. If you have more experience and confidence, you'll be better able to judge when you've made it work. If in doubt, leave it out. There's always another sentence.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this is one of the "rules." But all "rules" can be broken. Understand WHY that particular "rule" is a no-no, then avoid what makes it problematic.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, the general rule aside, it doesn't bother me as long as it's a short line and the main character is introduced immediately. Long speeches by who-the-hell-is-this-person as an opening, though... not so much. :p

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you must open with dialogue, keep in mind the reader starts with a blank canvas and knowing nothing, unlike you -the writer - who already knows who is saying what to whom and why and where etc.,

Euphoric Mania

Registered
Reaction score
Used occasionally, I think it can be a very good hook. :) It probably makes more sense to start a later chapter with it, rather than the book, but if you can make it work...

I have also seen it used in books that come in a series. You already know the characters then, and it's not so hard to catch up.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I've seen it done well. Ray Bradbury's short story "The Veldt" begins with: "George, I wish you'd have a look at the nursery." A few lines of dialogue between the parents follow, subtly setting up the problem.

Also seen it done poorly, in a story that opened with about six lines of dialogue between two people. Unfortunately, it wasn't interesting dialogue, because one character was prattling about inanities like the sunshine and the birds while the other one kept saying "leave me alone."

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with that per se.

What can be confusing is unattributed and unclear dialogue that hangs in space.

No rule. I start about a third of my books with dialogue. :Shrug:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only reason there's a "rule" is because starting with dialogue is one of those things most new writers do poorly. It it's the right dialogue, and if it's done well, it can be a great way to open.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
What's the general rule about this? I read somewhere that you should get to the dialogue as soon as possible, but then I read somewhere else that editors dislike the first line of a sentence being a dialogue.

The reason they don't like it is because often the line of dialogue is either boring and/or meaningless without context. And also because it's often unattributed. The reader doesn't know who said it.

If you're going to open with a line of dialogue, make it memorable and compelling

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason not to start with dialogue is because it makes it harder for the reader to orient themselves in the story. Knowing that, as long as the dialogue isn't just a full page of talking heads, the dialogue advances the plot and develops character, I don't have a problem with it.

An example that immediately springs to mind because I just read a book on writing that included it, is Dean Koontz's The Voice of the Night.

" 'You ever kill anything?' asked Ray." Which is followed immediately by his friend's response, then a quick setting sketch. Then two lines of dialogue, then more setting, which tells us the environment, but also sets the mood, with its deserted beach and far off oil drilling platforms. Only after a few more exchanges of dialogue is the POV character's inner narrative shown.

So yes, it can be done, but in a way that moves the story forward in a way that invests the reader in the action.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The only reason there's a "rule" is because starting with dialogue is one of those things most new writers do poorly. It it's the right dialogue, and if it's done well, it can be a great way to open.

This. The lone dialogue line is an open invitation to a long and boring backstory to support it. Tension goes up a notch, then slams down to zero. If there is ONE rule in openings is to never let the tension down. Openings have to create, then maintain and/or increase tension.

More often than not, such an opening is a cheesy replacement for a real hook and readers and agents alike can see easily through the ploy and be turned off.

Also, you have to ask yourself if that lone dialogue line is really where the story starts, where something starts to go slightly wonky, where things are about to change.

-cb

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
My first novel began with dialogue -- I do know about nine agents read all three chapters I submitted. (They gave feedback which involved the chapters)

So like with everything I think if it works and it grabs uses it. If it's dull and serves no purpose skip it.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the general rule about this?

Stw, listen to those advising it's not now nor has ever been a rule.

The notion to avoid opening with dialog is an opinion. However, it's always fun to set up a straw man/Aunt Sally "rule" to feel empowered by breaking it. :D

Good advice above about tempering an opening dialog, though.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to have a good reason to start with dialog. I'm not a fan of this practice. If there is a better way to start your story, go with that.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm not sure editors care whether the first line is dialogue or not. Editors are looking for a great opening line, opening paragraph and opening chapter, not to mention a great story. How it's told is up to the author.

That said, I may be biased. I open with dialogue quite a bit. I have never had anyone mention it as either a positive or a negative, just that they loved the opening or the opening needs work.

Jeff

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
It's more of a guideline, really. If your opening lines are things like "In 3001 the time travel lines were discovered," said the history teacher. "And blah blah blah." and it leads to an infodump, then yeah, it's probably best not to start with dialogue.

On the other hand, there are also lines like "Where's Papa going with that axe?" and "So what do you want your name to be this time?" -- lines that launch immediately into the story. The rule is to make sure your opening line is a hook, not a story starter. (If that makes sense)

Last edited:

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
The rule is that I hate rules. Kill it with fire.

Do what works best for you. If you're uncomfortable with dialogue right off the bat, don't do it. If you believe that line is the absolute right thing, use it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This rule, like most others, has so many notable exceptions that it's almost useless.

The core of truth behind it is that starting a novel like so:

"Well maybe we can go next week," Susan said. "Bob will be there too then, and we can go to the Verluccis' for dinner and maybe spend a day at the zoo. Oh, and Tammi aced her exams, by the way."

can be risky, because A. We don't know who the hell Susan is, who Bob or the Verluccis are, or who Tammi is. This sentence is name soup, and we don't care at all about any of these people yet.

B. We have no context for the conversation (is Susan at party with the person she's talking to, or maybe on the phone, walking in the park, at work, driving in a car, or in a spaceship, or an oxcart traversing a fantasy city, or what)?

C. And geez, it's rather boring and mundane. Mundane conversations can be interesting later on in a story, when we know and care about the characters, but it's rather risky early on. Some movies can do it, but that's because they have a cool technique at their disposal--putting two or more people having a mundane conversation in a situation that the viewer can immediately tell is anything but mundane.

If you're going to have dialog in the very first sentence, it should probably be short, pithy, attention grabbing, and immediately segue into something that provides context.

And you'd better be really, really good at writing dialog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.