• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Ravenous Romance

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
worth less than the paper they were printed on. However, if they are going to insist on paying royalties rather than a flat fee for anthologised stories,

---Some RR anthology editors have negotiated changes in the boilerplate anthology contract that have paid the contributors a slightly higher flat fee instead of an advance. I think I will do that for any future anthologies I may edit to avoid the issue of calculating per-rata royalties.

In case anybody cares, I can report that it is indeed possible to sell in excess of 5,000 copies of a single Ravenous Romance book in one year, via some of their lines. Not all of them, mind you, but some.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Payment threshold are pretty common, but that doesn't stop an automatically-generated sales report being sent--and the threshold is generally more like $10-$25 : /

Yep. My husband gets a sales report every six months for his dissertation (published by one of those academic dissertation-republishing companies almost 20 years ago) and a payout whenever the royalties top $25 US.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You and I must be married to the same man! It was more fun when he'd get a statement or a check for X number of gilders. Euros is boring in comparison.

Maryn, wondering who's buying it

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
---Some RR anthology editors have negotiated changes in the boilerplate anthology contract that have paid the contributors a slightly higher flat fee instead of an advance. I think I will do that for any future anthologies I may edit to avoid the issue of calculating per-rata royalties.

Speaking as a short story author, yes, I'd way rather get a flat fee rather than faffing around with royalties, as long as the fee is sufficient to cover all the rights the publisher is acquiring.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
One reason to consider the royalties option on RR short story anthologies would be the resale of print rights on that anthology. Ravenous has done this for several anthologies, most notably to St. Martin's Press (also Cleis Press and a couple others). So there is potential to earn significant dollars there if print rights are resold. But as of right now, they've only resold print rights on a handful of their anthologies.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My story was in one of those e-anthologies for which the print rights were sold to a larger press.... still haven't seen anything remotely resembling a royalty statement, though.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
My story was in one of those e-anthologies for which the print rights were sold to a larger press.... still haven't seen anything remotely resembling a royalty statement, though.

All you can do is contact the person who edited the anthology. That is part of their job per our contract. I do know it's way too soon to have collected any $$ from the print deal, too. The print publishing world works at a dead snail's pace when it comes to payment.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Saka. Yeah, I figure sometime around 2012 I'll ping the editor/publisher and ask for a statement.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Unimportant, if it's the anthology I'm thinking of, that deal was done in the fourth quarter? So those statements haven't even gone out yet.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Unimportant, if it's the anthology I'm thinking of, that deal was done in the fourth quarter? So those statements haven't even gone out yet.

But Unimporant hasn't received any royalty statements for the e-book version either, and that was published nine months ago.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all -- I've flicked the editor an email asking if there is any info available.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
if the book has been out nine months you are owed at least two statements, if not three. Write RR staff direct and tell them your editor isn't communicating with you.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Anyone have any recent experience with them? I was curious about turn time on submissions? Their web says 2 weeks... just curious if that's really the average? Some state a time frame, but take ten times that to respond... *lol* Anywho... don't care much about assumptions and perceptions... if you've actually dealt with RR... what was the response time? I have a short on sub with them, but we're still in the 2 week period, so I can't answer my own question... Hehehe.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Just an update. Ravenous didn't respond within the 2 weeks as noted on their submission guidelines, so I sent them a polite note for a status update, since another publisher I was going to submit too needed to know the status. I'm happy to report Ravenous responded to the request in less than an hour with a professional and polite update. Much faster than I expected.

The bad news was, that they are still considering my submission(oh, wait, that's good news...), but estimate it will take them another month to review it. So, in answer to my own question, it appears they are swamped and take considerably longer than advertised to respond to queries. So if you submit there, keep that in mind.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up.

Maryn

honoluluwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Brindle!

I don't have anything helpful to add on their response time, but I did recently contract with them for a short story in one of their anthologies. I've had a great experience with them from an author/publisher perspective :)

Also, I feel like all of the RR authors are like a big family. All are very nice, friendly to one another, and fun to chat with on line!!

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An author on another writing group I belong to recently mentioned that she subbed two stories to RR and has been regularly querying them but has had no response over the 6 and 12 month periods, respectively, for the two pieces.

I've had a very poor experience with a short story in an RR antho and won't sub to them again. YMMV.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I'm happy and sad to report that RR did get back to me, sooner than expected. They were very professional and courteous in their rejection. It looked to be a form letter, but it felt warm to me. While I was rejected, my experience with them has all been positive, except for turn time, which improved after the full was requested. I will submit to them again.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
if the book has been out nine months you are owed at least two statements, if not three. Write RR staff direct and tell them your editor isn't communicating with you.

I checked my anthology contract. The contract is with RR, not with the editor, so surely the onus is on RR to send out payments?

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I've received a royalty cheque from RavRom. Props to them for tracking all the sales etc. The total so far (for electronic, print, audio, and subsidiary rights) is a few dollars more than Cleis pays for one-time print rights. So, while it's not been a losing proposition, neither is it something I'm likely to repeat, as I prefer to retain reprint and subsidiary rights.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So you wouldn't go with them again?