WL Children's Agency / Children's Literary Agency

Davilance

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.interdrama.com
Want to sell children's material ?

MightyMax5 said:
Now that i have everybody's attention to this matter, could someone please point me, a new author just trying to break through in this business into the right direction.

whether it be a real agency or even publishers that do not require agents.

My books are children's picture books ...

thank you for your time.

I would send material directly to publishers of children's stories who are in the market for new material. You should write what the editors say they are looking for -- not what you THINK they should want. I recently received the following email from Highlights For Children, which is a long-established publication in the field:

Dear author,

The editors at Highlights have created a wish list of manuscript needs. If you're in need of a little inspiration, maybe this will help. Below you will find our special needs in addition to all regular submissions we always like to receive.

If you know someone who might find the above information useful, please feel free to pass it along ...

Enjoy,

George Brown

Assistant Editor

Highlights for Children

570-251-4510

From Kim Griswell, Coordinating Editor: Arts articles that have true kid-appeal. Kids are drawn to all kinds of arts, but they are probably not in a museum appreciating great works. We must meet them where they are.

Travel and adventure articles with a kid-friendly focus or a deeper meaning to share--a lesson learned, better understood a culture, a discovery made, etc.

From Andy Boyles, Science Editor

Our guidelines state that our word limit is 800, but articles that are even shorter (350-400 words) are especially welcome. We put a high value on articles that show science as a process, articles that follow a scientist or group of scientists as they try to solve one of nature's mysteries. We currently have what we need in the way of articles about:

birds, reptiles and amphibians, insects (especially bees), and volcanoes.

From Marileta Robinson, Senior Editor

We need stories for young readers at first- and second-grade reading levels, 500 words or fewer. I would like to see stories with holiday themes, especially dealing with the real meaning of the holidays of various religions. Also stories with sports themes for younger children.

From Carolyn Yoder, History/World Cultures Editor:

Multicultural articles, particularly first-person accounts. Historical looks at major holidays--Thanksgiving, Christmas, Passover, Hanukah, July 4, Labor Day. Biographies of major historical figures--Martin Luther King, Jr. and Civil Rights. Articles on immigrant history.

From Judy Burke, Associate Editor:

Nonfiction sports: articles that focus on a known athlete (a squeaky clean one), those that focus entirely on the development of specific skills, and those that address challenges faced by athletes of any kind (ex: being smaller than your teammates, staying calm under pressure, etc.). Successful articles often include quotes gained from personal interviews with athletes or experts and useful tips for readers who play that sport.

Fiction: 800-word stories for 8- to 12-year-olds. Humorous stories, Easter stories (no Easter bunnies as characters, though), Passover stories, and stories involving Ramadan, Eid ul-Fitr, or Eid ul-Adha.

400-word humorous stories for 8- to 12-year-olds also needed.

Nonfiction: 300-word activity articles. Successful ones often include a short introduction and a few short activities with a common theme.

From Joelle Dujardin Kirkland, Associate Editor

Crafts: crafts with boy-appeal, games, holiday crafts, and crafts from other cultures (with background included).

Younger nonfiction (450 words or fewer): first-person accounts of fieldwork, arts stories, biographies with interesting slants, kids living in other cultures, ancient history, animals, details from urban life (workers, transportation, etc.).

Gallant Kids: leads (or articles) on kids doing service in their communities--especially children of color.

From George Brown, Assistant Editor

I'm looking for puzzles and short activities that encourage children to think in a creative way without relying on prior knowledge of specific facts. These puzzles should not require the use of pen or pencil to solve them.

I'm also interested in finger-play activities and step and repeat stories.

General request

We're looking for proposals for inside-back covers. Since there's little text, ideas need to be fresh and clear, possibly with a few activities within the page, and clear art instructions.

Highlights recommends reviewing their submission guidelines and back issues at local libraries before submitting a manuscript. Material should be fresh and exciting. Guidelines are available at <http://highlights.ed10.net/h/3Q5I/2E7H/SN/9PWQJ>www.highlights.com

Please send submissions to the specific editor listed above, or

Manuscript Coordinator

Highlights for Children

803 Church Street

Honesdale, PA 18431

Please send submissions to the specific editor listed above, or

Manuscript Coordinator

Highlights for Children

803 Church Street

Honesdale, PA 18431

kboone

Has anyone heard of CLA (children's literary agency) NY

I found them on line and submitted just a portion of my manuscript, they responded right away and wanted a contract signed, they asked me to have a lawyer look it over, so they sound like the real deal, but something smells fishy here and I don't want to jump into a problem, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has heard of them. please advise!! Thank you.
icon4.gif

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Ack! There are a number of threads on these boards dedicated to the slime that run CLA/NYLA/ Stylus/ST whatever. Do a search on the boards and you'll find the answer.

Then run. Don't look back. Don't sign a contract, and don't give them any money.

kboone

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I admit my hopes were up, so I'm a little bummed, but what fun is chasing a dream unless you know for sure your chasing something,
icon10.gif

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
In fact, I'm going to merge this with the ongoing thread that Richard so kindly linked to.

Simran

Children's Literary?

Has anyone heard of or had dealings with Children's Literary? Here is the contract we were sent. Please send your feedback. Thank you.

Last edited:

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com

Simran

thank you so much everyone for the valuable input. Time to get the running shoes on. :mad:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Yo, Victoria -- did Robert Fletcher ever get around to suing you?
Ah...nope. Surprised?

October was supposed to be the witching month, but we're fast approaching Halloween, and no mean old legal missive has yet crossed my (or rather my attorney's, since Fletch and Co have been directed to send all correspondence to him) threshhold.

- Victoria

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Davilance said:
Children's Literary Agency was very encouraging and helpful -- up to the point where they suddenly wanted me to PAY for a critique. When I told them that I am disabled, on limited income, and cannot afford to pay $60 to $80 for a critique, they dropped me like a hot potato ...

It is my understanding that reputable agents never require authors to pay for anything.

I haven't given them a dime and I still have a contract. In fact they have given me the ok to send them my next project knowing I have it critiqued and edited on my own. What is your take on that?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
writerterri said:
I haven't given them a dime and I still have a contract. In fact they have given me the ok to send them my next project knowing I have it critiqued and edited on my own. What is your take on that?

Ah, but did you get that first project critiqued or edited by anyone? If so, who performed that critique or editing?

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Not to mention, whether they charge you or not they're still not going to succeed in selling your book, so why waste your time with them? They have a proven track record over several years--or rather, a nonexistent track record. That speaks volumes to me!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
Ah, but did you get that first project critiqued or edited by anyone? If so, who performed that critique or editing?

I have my own private editor who threw in a crit. I didn't go through them. Believe me I'm on a teeter-tawter with them. They are willing to take another project under the same circumstances. What do you think about that? I still don't know.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Writerterri, they have never sold a book. Why do you think they will sell yours?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Writerterri, they claim in one of their emails that's been provided to me just the other day that they've made five sales.

Now many, though not all, sales that receive advances generally range in the $5,000.00 area. Now assuming that they received the general 15% commission on each of those books, that would mean they made $750.00 on each advance for a total of $3,750.00. Now for them and those authors to receive anything more, their books would have to earn out the advance. Only then would additional monies be paid to the agency to be split appropriately between the agency and the author.

So, just what is keeping that agency afloat if that's as much as it's made so far? Keep in mind that those sales cover almost seven (7) years in operation. In other words, it's not even enough for that agency to pay its agents and rent and utilities for much more than one month, let alone a single year or five years! Even if those books had each received advances of double that amount, it still wouldn't be enough.

Also, had they sold something that became a bestseller and brought in big bucks to them and their author, wouldn't they be bragging about it? Guess what? They don't because they haven't.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I'll bet all of the LG agencies claim the same five sales.

Oh, lets not forget all those sent to PA and the like. Now, why-oh-why aren't they bragging about them, I wonder? I mean, 15 cents times a few hundred starts to add up. :cool:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
In every case that I've been able to track down, it was the author him/herself who made the sale, not Robert Fletcher/Georgina Orr/Robert West/whoever.

That didn't stop Fletcher from claiming his 15%, though.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Writerterri, they claim in one of their emails that's been provided to me just the other day that they've made five sales.
Yeah, and it's a safe claim, too, since they don't provide any identifying information--such as author, title, or publisher--that would allow anyone to verify the sales.

- Victoria

jennoel

wow !! and thanks!!

This is my first message - so 'hi'. I just wanted to say that the info that I learned here has been so helpful. I am trying very hard to keep a positive attitude, but it is hard to find an agent -- I even crossed paths with the infamous Janet Kay back in 2003!! She didn't get any of my $$, thanks to this site! And now, after seeing some of the info on the Children's Literary Agency, once again, my butt (and $$) have been saved!! By the way, someone named Sherry Fine is now the VP of operations at CLA. I sent my manuscript via e-mail, and then after some research, wished I didn't. But at least I got the scoop before any damage (except to my ego) was done!! Keep up all the good work and I will keep my chin up and keep sending out my queries!!