The Relevance of Blogging

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of blogging. I'm not sure why because I find the notion of journaling or keeping a diary cringeworthy.

I'm hoping folks can help me understand why people blog (outside of keeping in touch with family and friends that way).

• Other than personal fulfillment, what's the point of having a blog?
  • Is the blogging craze still going strong or is it waning?
  • Are blogs still relevant?
  • Who's ever looking for a new blog to read?
  • I don't know anyone who reads blogs. Who's reading them?
  • What does it take for a blog to succeed and make money when there's nothing new under the sun to write about?
  • Why do writers have blogs? To post samples of their work? For agents/publishers to check them out?

For the record, I don't have a blog nor do I want to start one. I understood the draw to it when it was fresh and new but hasn't that time come and gone? I'm not trying to put blogging down, I promise. It's just that we live in a world that gets tired of things pretty quick. With time being so precious to everyone, how and why are blogs still around?

StartupBlogger

Registered
Reaction score
I assume you're talking about personal blogging, so I am going to answer as best as I can from my perspective:

1. Definitely for personal fulfillment and venting, but also just to get your voice out there. It could be to review products, share information, offer advice, or even just to build your "personal brand."

2. Blogging is still going strong and there are still thriving blogging communities. The key is just finding them.

3. Still relevant, but there are a lot more to sift through. Generally, if you have a problem and you're looking for a solution ("build blog traffic" or "sewing a button" or "bean recipe"), you're get a number of blog results.

4. No one is because everyone has a blog. It takes a lot more to get noticed because you have to find a way to position yourself where people just stumble on your blog and want to stay.

5. Personal blogs, not so much. People tend to read blogs for a purpose and what you had for dinner doesn't cut it. If I'm looking for a recipe for great northern beans and you have one, then I'll read your blog.

6. It's really time, dedication, and finding the right audience. Most blogs make $0.00, with a few making a little more than that with AdSense pennies. Popular blogs make money through ads and any other events/seminars/whatever they may host for their readers.

7. I tend to read author blogs for snippets and updates. I only read the blogs of authors I love and who generally have series where I'm waiting for the next book. They also tend to interact with other authors, but that's the case for a lot of bloggers in general.

It's easier than ever to make a blog and people like to talk about their interests. There's also the idea that you can become a top blogger in a month easily, so you see a lot of people starting blogs and then coming back a year later for their 3rd post. Most blogs aren't going to be anything major, but people like to have an outlet where they can put their opinions out there with ease.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that. You make some really great points and they do help me understand blogging better. Personally, if I'm searching for something and find it on someone's blog, I'll read it but that's it. I never think, "Hey, this is great! I want to keep reading this person's blog!" Maybe that's just me? How does blogging build a "personal brand" for writers?

Actually, now that I think of it, there is one blog (or is it a website) that I will go to once in a while to see what they've been up to. I find their writing voice utterly charming and I pretty much like everything they do.

I don't envy bloggers. It's got to be a tough gig.

StartupBlogger

Registered
Reaction score
The personal brand tends to be more for self-help/motivational authors, where it's less "Read XYZ by So-and-So" and more "Read So-and-So's take on ABC in XYZ." For most writers, blogging seems like more of a way to get involved in a community.

Most blogs don't make you want to keep reading, but successful blogs make you want to follow their backlinks and just get lost in the site. It's an art that few have mastered, but a lot of people are trying to figure out.

meangene01

Registered
Reaction score
I like to use my blog as an addendum for my writing and my ministry work. As i get more people following my work i want them to "hear" from me on a regular basis so I see my blog as a way to keep them connected with my thoughts on a regular basis.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
The personal brand tends to be more for self-help/motivational authors, where it's less "Read XYZ by So-and-So" and more "Read So-and-So's take on ABC in XYZ." For most writers, blogging seems like more of a way to get involved in a community.

Most blogs don't make you want to keep reading, but successful blogs make you want to follow their backlinks and just get lost in the site. It's an art that few have mastered, but a lot of people are trying to figure out.

Makes sense to me. Given your screen name, I'm assuming you hire out to help people start blogs the right way, according to their goals? (Again, I'm not looking to start a blog. They just intrigue me. I almost wish I had something worth saying in a blog.)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
I like to use my blog as an addendum for my writing and my ministry work. As i get more people following my work i want them to "hear" from me on a regular basis so I see my blog as a way to keep them connected with my thoughts on a regular basis.
I can definitely see where a blog would come in handy for ministry work. Especially for missionaries. I love and support missionaries and, if any of them I supported had a blog, I would certainly read it to see how the Holy Spirit is working among them. A great way to get prayer needs known, too.

What kind of writing do you do, meangene01?

StartupBlogger

Registered
Reaction score
I run the blog and social media for a startup. I lean more towards professional blogs because of work, but I do have my favorite personal or fun blogs that I visit regularly. I had a personal blog for about a month a few years ago, but I didn't have the time or drive to maintain it. :)

My first answer was a combo of all the blog research I've done with my own brief stint as a personal blogger.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Keep in mind that while blogging started out as a type of diary, now it is just a type of regularly updated website. I have a dozen blogs and none of them are about my life and as far as I know my family and friends do not read them. People interested in the subject of the subject of the blog read them.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
I had a personal blog for about a month a few years ago, but I didn't have the time or drive to maintain it. :)

I'm the opposite. I have the time and the drive but I can't imagine that I would have anything of interest to say that would gain a following.

A personal blog that I would find interesting enough to read daily/weekly would be one where someone is undertaking a challenge. A weight loss journey, finally deciding to go from a dead end, miserable life to getting their dream job, cooking every recipe in a cookbook (like in the film Julie & Julia), etc.,

If I were to ever start a blog, the only thing I could think of writing about with regularity would be my journey (ugh, how Oprah) of fulfilling my dream of writing a novel, pursuing publication and making my living completely by writing novels. But these stories are a dime a dozen on the internet. And why anyone would care about mine over anyone else's? It's not a new or exciting subject by any means. Yet again, I'm not looking to start a blog but, if I were ever to do so, this would be the only topic I could think of writing about that would keep my own interest. And I doubt any agent or publisher I get in the future would care about it, especially if it didn't have a following.

I admire the tenacity of personal bloggers.

StartupBlogger

Registered
Reaction score
It takes a lot to build up a loyal following and single visitors are really common. I would think challenge blogs are better at that simply because you want to make people interested in the journey and not just your musings.

Sometimes it's just nice to get your voice out there, even if no one is listening. I think that's why most people blog. They may dream of making big money and having a huge following, but I think just having a platform to chronicle your successes and failures is what really drives people to blog.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Other than personal fulfillment, what's the point of having a blog?

To practice writing style, to inform others, to share knowledge. There’s probably as many reasons as there are blogs.

Is the blogging craze still going strong or is it waning?

It’s still going strong, but there are a bzillion blogs out there. It’s harder to build followers these days.

Are blogs still relevant?

Is practicing writing style, informing others, and sharing knowledge relevant? Depends on the blog, I suppose.

Who's ever looking for a new blog to read?

I don’t know what you’re asking here. Bob. Bob the rabid wombat is looking for a new blog to read. My blog is only about a year and a half old, but it has readers. I pick up new followers all the time. So someone out there is looking for new blogs to read. Other than Bob, I mean.

I don't know anyone who reads blogs. Who's reading them?

Got me dancing, but I have a blog where I post sporadically and I have 416 strangers that follow it, plus folks that wander in to read a specific post. Is that awesome? Well, it is to me. There are blogs out there with a gigantic amount of followers, but I think it’s amazing that 416 people regularly follow my blog.

What does it take for a blog to succeed and make money when there's nothing new under the sun to write about?

Make money? How do you make money from blog writing? I suppose if you are a super cool blogger with thousands of followers then you could sell advertising. I don’t think the majority of blog writers are in it for all the fat loots.

Why do writers have blogs? To post samples of their work? For agents/publishers to check them out?

Sure, if that’s their thing. There’s also the examples stated in question one. Blogging keeps my hand in when I’m away from my WIP. It also allows me to write about whatever the heck I want to write about. To date, my most popular blog post was about bad writing advice. WordPress put that one in Freshly Pressed. My favorite post was entitled, Lane Bryant, What the Hell? That one was a hoot to write. That’s why I write a blog. Because it’s a hoot!

Last edited: