Does anyone's book have a blog?

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I suffer greatly from "randomness", and the farther I progress into my MG novel WIP, the more that randomness tries to creep in.

So in an attempt to put all of the goofiness in its place, rather than having it show up in my story where it doesn't belong, I've started a blog for my fictional setting and characters (which I hope will eventually be part of a series). A place where they can be and do all sorts of outlandish things that have no place at all in my current plot.

Right now, it's set to private, as I'm just starting to build content and to try to turn it into "something", but once I've built it up, I'm torn as to whether it would be worthwhile to make it public. Or should I just keep it for "therapy" purposes?!

What do you all think? Could it be a good thing? Bad thing? Indifferent thing? Has anyone else done something similar?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Just this morning I started contemplating giving a secondary character in my WIP his own Facebook page. A few weeks ago I bought a doll that reminded me of him, and have been using it as a muse--sitting him next to the computer to inspire me to write. Posting pics on my FB page of him glaring at me for not getting enough work done. That sort of thing.

I envision posts from him commenting on my progress or lack thereof, and dropping hints about the plot. I haven't done it yet, and may not, but if nothing else I think my friends would get a kick out of it.

I'd hesitate to do a blog, myself, because it seems the work in creating longer posts might keep me away from actual writing. But if you have the time and energy to devote to it, it sounds like fun to me.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
When I read the title, I totally imagined the book itself having a blog, the way people start facebook pages for their newborns.

"Mommy decided to do a search-and-replace for one of my character names. I don't know if I'll even recognize Alfonzo now that he's become 'Ralph.'"

"I grew a whole three chapters today!"

"Mommy said she's making me a 'query letter.' I think that's like a little brother!"

The character(s) having a blog sounds much more entertaining.

Last edited:

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Just this morning I started contemplating giving a secondary character in my WIP his own Facebook page. A few weeks ago I bought a doll that reminded me of him, and have been using it as a muse--sitting him next to the computer to inspire me to write. Posting pics on my FB page of him glaring at me for not getting enough work done. That sort of thing.

I envision posts from him commenting on my progress or lack thereof, and dropping hints about the plot. I haven't done it yet, and may not, but if nothing else I think my friends would get a kick out of it.

I'd hesitate to do a blog, myself, because it seems the work in creating longer posts might keep me away from actual writing. But if you have the time and energy to devote to it, it sounds like fun to me.

:gaah Why, oh why did you mention a Facebook page??? Now I have to do one of those as well!

The whole premise of the blog (and now Facebook page - grrr) is a sort of News and Community Updates sort of thing. Not a lot of content per post. I've got (I think) the time to play with it, and yes, it could turn into the ultimate procrastination devise, but right now I've got no deadlines, so maybe it would be fun to see where and how far I can take it.

Thanks for chiming in!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
What, no Twitter account??? :evil