Skyword ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerlily

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Skyword? I was thinking of applying to one or more of those content sites, to see if I can get accepted... and earn [much] more freelance income. Dream on!? I've not found too much info. on this one; it must be newer? Blogmutt seems to require my LinkedIn profile, but that's for my current [dead-end] career. My profile doesn't mention my writing, so far, since I don't have too many clips yet. It also doesn't mention my writing interests, since those are more 'life' than 'work' experiences. Thanks!

Mystikal

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard much about skyword either. Not a fan of anything that asked for my LinkedIn profile though as I don't see social media as a great way to put your best food forward.

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
I write for Skyword. Depending on what program you write for, they have some decent paying stuff. I am doing one project now that pays $50-$200 per 500 word article. Some of them also pay for page views along with the per article pay. Skyword pays on time as well. Certainly worth a shot.

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
They pay well IMO, but you have to follow their guidelines closely. On the project I'm on, the writing guidelines are the equivalent of about 40 pages if you print it out and one of the first things I was told was to memorize it.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing Skyword as a side thing for extra money. I heard they can be slow on payment though. Anyone experienced that?

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
They have set paydays, but sometimes the articles take a while to actually be approved and published. And they don't pay until they have approved them.

I had some articles that took several weeks to finally be approved. I will finally get paid for them on the 15th of October.

TheHungryFreelancer

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Skyword is that it can take weeks for the editors to review your article. If they ask for any revisions, you're looking at more weeks. Of course, it all depends on what project you're on. I wrote for them briefly and was frustrated because I was personally emailed by Skyword and asked to write for a specific team. I wrote my first article and after a week of waiting was told I was no longer "qualified" to work for a team that they PERSONALLY emailed me and asked me to join. Talk about a waste of time.

EtScribis

Registered
Reaction score
Skyword sounds great. I think I'll be applying shortly as I am getting a little tired of the lower paying Odesk gigs although they have helped me to build up my portfolio.

EvolvingK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccacroteau.com
I wrote for Skyword for about 18 months in 2012 and 2013; at first they were wonderful, and I made enough money to keep myself in fountain pens and ink. But then they took away the ability to apply for what programs you want to write for, and it kind of all went to heck for me. The people I had been writing for--word of mom, Angie's List, Lifescript--stopped accepting blogs, or I was no longer qualified, I was never clear. For a year now, I've been hoping I might get to write for another client, but I haven't any communication from them, other than their standard enewsletters.

I think the inability to apply for jobs is a hindrance.

I also had a lot of trouble contacting the editors for the clients I had, which was incredibly frustrating at times. They were quick enough to review my articles, but trying to ask more general questions about an article or something never got a response unless I complained to the support center.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
I applied and then for months, nothing happened. They contacted me out of the blue back in June or so inviting me into one of the programs. I said yes. I currently am working on my second article for them - I was paid successfully for the first. The pay is right in line with what another poster said. I can't remember if I'm allowed to disclose. I am currently working on my second article with the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.