I've worked on this novel for 7 years...Finally querying

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I sent my first-ever query letter the other day. I started this novel 7 years ago and have slaved away on it ever since. It took a lot for me to be finally ready to submit a query to an agent. I'm not expecting much (no one is ever successful their first try, right?) but it feels like a milestone just to put it out there.

I have a big list of other agents I want to submit to, but I'll wait and see what this one says first, I suppose.

I just feel happy to finally be able to stop working on this novel and get onto my next. At least until it captures someone's interest and there is more work to be done on it.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
wow, big accomplishment! congrats and good luck!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm trying to find a happy place between expecting a rejection completely and having false hope, but I'll admit I have a particular attraction to this agent since they are located in a city I'll soon be moving to and they represent multiple types of work (my next novel will be of a different genre than my first).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

Canton

A tethered mind
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your achievement, andiwrite! Glad to see you're moving onto your next project at the same time. It will help keep you sane.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs and good luck!

In my experience, setting up a submissions schedule and sticking to it like clockwork can ease the rejection doldrums. You don't think about it: Friday, five subs have to go out, period, end of quote.

Took me 281 tries to get my great agent, and I don't hold anywhere near the AW record, so keep subbing until you run out of places to sub! (With breaks as epiphany hits and you revise query letter and/or MS. ;) )

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I got my first rejection! LOL I'm actually really happy though. It's neat to get something back, even though it was a non-personal standard rejection letter. They just said all the typical stuff--they get hundreds of subs a day and my project just didn't sound right for them.

I'll prepare a query for my next choice now. :)

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Keep going! It's a huge achievement to finish a novel and be ready to put your work out there - congratulations!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I hope so. It's definitely going to be a learning process. I don't get my mind, sometimes. I thought for sure I was ready, but last night, I re-read my query letter and thought "Geez, this sucks. Not surprising it didn't catch their eye."

I stayed up all night rewriting it, and I like the version I have now better.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Both on completing your work and having the guys to put your work out there! Best of luck with the querying process!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hope so. It's definitely going to be a learning process. I don't get my mind, sometimes. I thought for sure I was ready, but last night, I re-read my query letter and thought "Geez, this sucks. Not surprising it didn't catch their eye."

I stayed up all night rewriting it, and I like the version I have now better.

If you're not certain about your query, you might want to check out Query Letter Hell, here, under the Share Your Work section - password: vista.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Way to go, andiwrite! :hooray: I admire both your finishing the novel and your dedication to it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.