The "Where can I send this story?" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Great minds think alike! Haha. Shimmer was the first market I tried as I thought the same. They said "It was interesting but it simply didn't cover enough new ground for us".

The other market I tried was Sockdolager.

I checked Duotrope's "Also submitted to" list for Shimmer, and it includes most of the usual suspects (Asimov's, Fantasy & SF, Orson Scott Card's IGSM, Strange Horizons) as well as the new-to-me "Fantastic Stories of the Imagination," a pro-paying market that's seeking magic realism. There's also Urban Fantasy Magazine, Cafe Irreal, and Lakeside Circus.

Ian Nathaniel Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've got a few short story projects, some complete, others in the process of being revised, and I'd like some advice on where to send them (especially so I know if it's even worth the effort revising some of these if there's no good place to submit them).

"The Cat in the Castle" (1636 words, complete) - A humor piece aimed at younger readers, a cat who lives in a castle inadvertently prevents a war between two dukedoms from reigniting.

"The Legend of Prince Calphalon" (1066 words, in process of revising) - Inspired by thinking that various bakeware and kitchen utensil brand names reminded me of the names of characters from a bad fantasy novel, this is a fantasy farce about the dim-witted Prince Calphalon of Everlast, duped by the evil vizier Pyrex into searching for the legendary sword of William Sonoma to help him win a duel.

"The Chronicles of Kvell: The Tower of Tarn Agolet" (6k-ish, in process of revising) - Think "Conan the Barbarian as done by Mel Brooks." The mighty Kvell, son of Kvetch, battles the evil warlord Oyga Valt, who is kidnapping Jewish mothers in order to magically harness their ability to induce guilt as part of a world domination bid. Lots of Jewish in-jokes and plays on fantasy tropes. (This was previously submitted to and rejected by JewishFiction.net.)

"The Fencing Lesson" (990 words) - In Renaissance Venice, a mercenary is hired by a nobleman to teach him to fight (as opposed to the gentlemanly art of fencing he learned). Years later, the mercenary is hired to kill his former student, who now has a reputation as a swordmaster. This one's straight drama (originally intended for Flash Fiction online, but I'm wondering if there's a better home for it elsewhere, especially if I make it longer).

Thanks!

Last edited:

VKurian

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone could help me with this I'd totally appreciate it.

I normally write standard literary fiction and know those markets pretty well. But I have a novella (17k) which is sci fi/ speculative fiction, but character driven and written in a literary style.

There aren't a ton of markets for novellas, but luckily sci fi is a bit more forgiving about length. Fantasy & Science fiction would be my top choice, along with Analog, or Asimov. I'm reading the most recent issue of Analog and so far haven't run into any profanity or sex. Is this a coincidence--? Or does anyone regularly read these magazines and can confirm or deny that profanity or sex would be a no-go? F&SF has extensive writer's guidelines, but doesn't say anything along these lines. The profanity in my novella is occasional, and the sex is not explicit/erotica (um, it doesn't reference certain body parts, but the act is described). These are usually acceptable in literary magazines.

Ballywho?

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you got your answer about the novella, VKurian. Have you looked at the submission guidelines on the websites of the magazines you mentioned? Sometimes they indicate what level of this or that they'll accept.

Also, you might try Ralan.com. Poke around on the Markets line at the top and you should find some places that would want to see your novella.

Good luck.

Last edited:

VKurian

Registered
Reaction score
Ballywho, still looking for the answer. I've read the submission guidelines of those three magazines and they don't say anything either way. I'm currently reading through some back issues to gauge the level of raciness allowable.. I'm considering submitting the original version with the option of making a "clean" version. Such content isn't really explicit and adult novels have it, so, maybe it's okay..

slingerland

Absolute newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning!

I have a short story set in the mid 1890s at a funeral. The protagonist is a widow: her husband disappeared during the Civil War and she was denied a widow's pension because her husband's body was never found. She raised her children in extreme poverty in a small town.

The funeral is for her last remaining child. But during the funeral, the memorials from three people bring to light that the mayor of the little town has maliciously prevented the window from collecting a pension as his payback against her dead husband.

The story is about 3200 words, polished and ready... I plan to set up a Duotrope account, but I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts about submitting?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ballywho?

Registered
Reaction score
Duotrope has helped me place 15-20 stories in print magazines. An excellent resource.

As far as subbing the Civil War story, you might want to shop it around as several types of story. Some magazines may have a "funeral" theme for an upcoming issue, or a "pension" or "corruption in local office" theme. If you think your story fits in with a theme, sub it with a note pointing out WHY it fits. The connection might not be readily apparent to the people at the magazine. But publishers like some variety in each issue, and you might convince them that your story is exactly what they're looking for.

Good luck.

Also, sign up for Duotrope's weekly newsletter. They send out a circular with new markets, upcoming theme deadlines and such. Very useful.

Outofcontext

Registered
Reaction score
Soft horror

I have a 1000 word piece that does not appear to be horror at first, but ends on a very dark note. The first place I sent it, the editors found it "enjoyable" but "not dark enough" for them. As I look for other places to submit, most of them seem to want spooky, twisted, grisly fantasy from beginning to end. My piece is more subtle than that. Any suggestions?

Outofcontext

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
It's early in the year, and I know everyone thinks this at this time, but I feel like I have just finished revising what is the early clubhouse leader for best short story of 2015.

Okay, maybe not, but still I think it's good.

4,255 words, my story is HG Wells Time Machine meets The Grand Inquisitor. It started as a jape as I was doing my brother in laws college homework in which the premise was that a time machine had to be involved because I usually would never write anything with a sci-fi element like time travel.

That being said, time travel is as involved in my story as bringing life to inanimate objects was to Frankestein- not a lot of focus and detail.

Anyone have any ideas to what magazine or journal I could submit something like this to?

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I have a 1000 word piece that does not appear to be horror at first, but ends on a very dark note. The first place I sent it, the editors found it "enjoyable" but "not dark enough" for them. As I look for other places to submit, most of them seem to want spooky, twisted, grisly fantasy from beginning to end. My piece is more subtle than that. Any suggestions?

Outofcontext

I know nothing about what style they're looking for, but if you happen to be queer, Lightspeed's "Queers Destroy Horror" just funded. Submission guidelines aren't up yet AFAIK. (And of course this doesn't help if you aren't queer, but just mentioning since it literally just happened and thus might not be on your radar at all. :))

RandomWords

Registered
Reaction score
Miracle: I actually finished a story! Now what do I do?

I think it might be good and I'm thinking of trying to get it published. My first try.

It's kind of a Slipstream / Hard Boiled thing in first person, 2100 words. Lots of cussing. Should I send it somewhere, do you think? Or put it on SYW and then send it somewhere? I'm a noob!

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
It's early in the year, and I know everyone thinks this at this time, but I feel like I have just finished revising what is the early clubhouse leader for best short story of 2015.

Okay, maybe not, but still I think it's good.

4,255 words, my story is HG Wells Time Machine meets The Grand Inquisitor. It started as a jape as I was doing my brother in laws college homework in which the premise was that a time machine had to be involved because I usually would never write anything with a sci-fi element like time travel.

That being said, time travel is as involved in my story as bringing life to inanimate objects was to Frankestein- not a lot of focus and detail.

Anyone have any ideas to what magazine or journal I could submit something like this to?

I ended up entering some random short story contests and then shot for the moon and submitted to New England Review, Harvard Review, Tin House, Glimmer train, The New Yorker (LOL) etc.

RandomWords

Registered
Reaction score
I ended up entering some random short story contests and then shot for the moon and submitted to New England Review, Harvard Review, Tin House, Glimmer train, The New Yorker (LOL) etc.

Congrats, by the way. I envy your confidence (and/or talent!).
Good Luck!

cynreeda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegoblinkingdom.wordpress.com
I see a lot of people suggesting Duotrope. I personally don't use it because you have to pay for membership (from what I understand) and at the moment, I just can't do that. Another place is The Submission Grinder. I've been using it to find magazines. So far, I have one story to be published, but the other three are getting rejection after form rejection. I have them all out now, but once I hear back, I'll probably post them here.

cynreeda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, so I just got back a rejection from The Dark Magazine. My short story, "We Are Extinct," is 3000 words and I guess falls under dark fantasy. It deals with a knight in a corrupt system who has to decide whether or to execute or show mercy to his ex-lover who has been accused of witchcraft. There are some dark elements, but it's not horror or spooky. I've sent out to a few different fantasy magazines, but have only received form rejections. Any suggestions?

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I see a lot of people suggesting Duotrope. I personally don't use it because you have to pay for membership (from what I understand) and at the moment, I just can't do that. Another place is The Submission Grinder. I've been using it to find magazines. So far, I have one story to be published, but the other three are getting rejection after form rejection. I have them all out now, but once I hear back, I'll probably post them here.

Yeah, a lot of the recommendations of Duotrope on this thread stem from the days back when it was free. For my part, I tend to get the $50 annual subscription as a gift, and it's worth it for the submissions tracking, too.

Okay, so I just got back a rejection from The Dark Magazine. My short story, "We Are Extinct," is 3000 words and I guess falls under dark fantasy. It deals with a knight in a corrupt system who has to decide whether or to execute or show mercy to his ex-lover who has been accused of witchcraft. There are some dark elements, but it's not horror or spooky. I've sent out to a few different fantasy magazines, but have only received form rejections. Any suggestions?

Depending on quite how dark it is, you may consider Apex Magazine (I know they do some dark secondary-world fantasy, which can be rare to find in a market, and the theme of the corrupt system feels like it would fit there). Beneath Ceaseless Skies also loves literary secondary world fantasy, including with dark elements.

cynreeda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Depending on quite how dark it is, you may consider Apex Magazine (I know they do some dark secondary-world fantasy, which can be rare to find in a market, and the theme of the corrupt system feels like it would fit there). Beneath Ceaseless Skies also loves literary secondary world fantasy, including with dark elements.

I actually just sent this story out to Meerkat Press' Love Hurts Anthology...since, well, this is kind of a love story at the heart of it and it ends painfully. I think it might be a good fit, if not I'll try Apex. I have a different fantasy story submitted to Beneath Ceaseless Skies at the moment, so I'll have to wait until I hear back about that one.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Not sure if this is the right place but I figured it was better than starting a new thread, for now.

I have a short story I want to write but it deals with abortion, clearly a controversial issue (it's not super for or against but leans a little more towards against since the child lives)
Anyone know of any markets that I might be able to send it to? Thanks!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place but I figured it was better than starting a new thread, for now.

I have a short story I want to write but it deals with abortion, clearly a controversial issue (it's not super for or against but leans a little more towards against since the child lives)
Anyone know of any markets that I might be able to send it to? Thanks!

I think there are a lot of publications you can try. Honestly, there are way to many to list. Plenty of stories have been done on this topic. The topic isn't enough to give you much direction other than start reading literary journals. That is the only thing that can really give you a sense of where your writing will fit. Good luck.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
So I recently got back into writing things that I'd like to actually submit somewhere, and I'm a bit unsure of what to do with this most recent thing I wrote. It's about 3600 words, and is primarily a Couple-in-Distress/Peril story that I'd classify as "absurd horror" if that makes sense (The closest analog I can think of would probably be Poe's A Predicament, although I otherwise do not claim to be nearly as good as Poe).

For that matter, if anyone knows where XiD stories in general could be submitted, I'd appreciate knowing. I was basically born about 20 years too late for the Detective Magazine era, unfortunately.

HoosierJoe

Registered
Reaction score
http://midamericanfiction.com/

I started a thread about this online magazine seeking submissions. The editor contacted me a few weeks after an acceptance and asked me to send them another. Said that submissions are slow. I found that unusual, we as authors are constantly told by frustrated editors that they have more submissions than they can read.

athai

Registered
Reaction score
Title: "Diver"
Length: ~5000 words
Genre: Near-future speculative fiction, with hints of sci-fi
Perspective: First-person
Rating: No sex or intense violence, but sprinkled with profanity.
Premise: Neuroscience tech has been developed to make mind infiltration possible. Government operatives, namely the FBI, use this tech to verify and/or uncover memories of crimes committed by the perpetrator. These operatives are called Divers, because the investigation process is colloquially known as "Diving into the Pool," not unlike swimming and diving in the real world, so water imagery and metaphors abound. The protagonist is a Japanese female FBI agent, who went on leave for 3 years to raise a family, but gets pulled back into the job to avenge the death of her husband, a fellow Diver. She takes on a mission to infiltrate the mind of a terrorist leader, who is responsible for the deaths of many Divers, and has apparently conditioned his mind and altered his memories to specifically counter Divers.

Last edited:

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
So, working on my second short story. It's a third person fictionalized autobiographical or memoir. It covers the launch of an unmanned interplanetary spacecraft and the people working behind the scenes, especially the contractors who built and tested the spacecraft. I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing it as straight up non-fiction, nor am I comfortable doing it in first person.

Ideas for the appropriate market?

Status
Not open for further replies.