The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I had the sweetest thing said to me last night. I hadn't intended on going out but I ended up getting pizza. Well a lady I know... who was somewhere between a good acquaintance and a friend was working last night. She's one of the managers. Well we got talking. Poor woman is all banged up from several serious falls, one down a flight of icy stares and one down her steps at home. She's going through physical therapy. Well anyway she asked me how I was doing and I told her "I'm getting better"at that point she pulled me off to the side and had me explain. I told her what my official diagnoses is (which I don't know if I told all of you but it's major clinical depression with suicidal tendencies). That's when she said "You feel like offing yourself you call me and I will come over and feed you ice cream." I think that bumped her up to friend status right there.

Last edited:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Also, felt that today I needed an avatar change.

This'll probably be a placeholder until I get my Batman corset, 'cause you KNOW that one's going on everything.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Caleb, that is awesome! And hooray for very good friends.

Tas, JACKALOPE!

Heading off to a lovely coffee shop in an hours. Do I feel bad for kiddo that he'll be reffing soccer in 40-degree weather? Nope. He's getting $35 for 2 hours' work.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I just remembered the dream I had last night!

I was in a coffee shop in a little town in England. People started dancing down the street wearing elaborate costumes. The shop owner said it was the greenery holiday (?). Then she kept trying to brew me flavored coffee--first hazelnut, then passionfruit. I kept saying I wanted coffee that tasted like coffee. She made a face at me, but went in the back to roast me some coffee beans.

While I was waiting at a table by the window, watching the people dance, Blond and fire and Para and vfury arrived. We had a long discussion about publishing and by the end of it, we'd solved all the issues with every publishing house re: publicity and contracts and deals (ah, dreams).

Then the owner brought us all coffee and scones, and said there was a phone call for us. She brought it up on a TV screen via Skype, and it was Tas telling us suki had won the Lambda.

All dreams should be this good.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Caleb!

I'm putting out minor fires, but mostly things are great. I'm just super busy between school, writing, reading, interviews for three podcasts (one is monthly, mine is bi-weekly and a third not sure how much I'll be doing on it). Also the interviews on my blog, setting up the promo stuff (I'm enjoying that part), fine-tuning other stuff on my website ( my graphic isn't playing nicely right now), and trying to find time to love on the dogs. I'm sure there's other stuff I'm doing, but I forget. :)

Please feel free to rep me any news (good or bad) and know I'm reading and trying to rep when I can, but I just seem to have this life thing going on.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone. I have an exciting day planned--we'll be looking at plumbing fixtures. My god, how different can white toilets be?

It's step one of re-doing the 45-year-old bathrooms in this house. We'll start with the one the kids shared, then the powder room. Undecided on whether the master bath, at a mighty 5.5 by 5.5 feet, is worth saving or if we must sacrifice our only closet for the cause of expanding it. Or expand the house to the tune of a bazillion dollars.

Mr. Maryn says it's got to be done soon, because the nearer retirement looms, the more wary he'll be about spending money. His genes suggest he's got a lot of years to fund yet. (Mine don't.)

Maryn, who'd better get started on living fast

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Lily - That's an awesome dream.

My dream this morning (kid you not) was that me & a karate-mom friend were standing in line to get our badges at some kind of comic-convention.

Seriously. That was the whole dream. Just us standing in line. FOREVER.

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
Happy weekend, everyone!

Eesh, I think I'm a few days out of the loop now. Got buried under Mount Edits but I managed to finish the latest draft. Still unhappy with that book. I think I need to put it in a drawer for a bit until I can come back to it without this feeling of total dread.

JACKALOPE!

Caleb -- Definitely sounds like an upgrade to friend status! And any friend who will bring ice cream is a good friend.

Lily -- Holy crap that's a good dream. Well, minus the cranky barista!

I have no plans for today, which are exactly the kind of plans I like on the weekend.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're going to the theatre tonight, dahlings! Well, to the small-stage more experimental theatre, where the offerings are hit-and-miss. I've seen some good stuff there, and some that made me cringe or was immediately forgotten.

I don't have high hopes for this one, but you never can tell with bees.

Maryn, cryptic

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I know that this has been asked a million times, but could those of you purgies who have ordered bookmarks please remind me what companies you used? (and whether or not you liked them?)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lily uses OvernightPrints.com

Blonde uses PrintRunner

Maryn uses Search Thread. (Tee-hee!)

I guess the other conversations must've been in the previous thread. I remember Cindy was very pleased with whoever she uses, and probably other people, too.

Maryn, wet hair

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously you have not seen me in swimwear! The adjectives which spring to mind are different.

Mr. Maryn has Mystery Swelling. We were out looking at vanities and sinks and tubs--which gets boring immediately unless you're rich and have space for the outrageous amazing stuff--when I noticed his face was all lumpy around one eye. Like a pea and a couple of peanuts in the shell had been inserted under his skin. He has no idea what's up, but it's the site of an injury nearly a month ago which started hurting yesterday. He didn't bump it again, he's sure. Weird. I suppose if it keeps up I'll have to nag him to see his doctor.

Now he's got a cold pack on it and says he thinks it's shrinking, but still, WTF?

Maryn, who has yet to write word one today, or yesterday, or the day before

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Caleb, that is a friend, indeed! And you sound better. I know written things are deceptive, but....

Maryn, boo on mystery swelling!

Me = going through major pile of mail and papers -- sorting, trashing, recycling. I'm not ready to tackle taxes yet, but I at least need to get this pre-project done.

Finished 10K of new book and am now thinking about it some. Needs at least a minor edit for the time being. And, what happens next. And stuff.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Back from the coffee shop, which was in a historic house with the original wood floors and beams and stuff. Very good coffee. I can write with the multiple conversations and other loud ambient noise in a coffee shop. Got much farther on the new series book 1 outline. discovered a new character and much more stuff about the MC.

Whee! SNI heaven!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I envy people who can write in busy environments. I need a monastery.

Maryn, who lives in one while Mr. Maryn is a work, more or less

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
I'm the same, Maryn.

Every once in a while I can tune out everything else and just get words down--usually if it's one of those fits of inspiration--but 90% of the time I need it to be just me and, oddly enough, music. As long as it's me playing the music, it's fine, somehow.

Lily, I'm glad to hear the outline is going well! Discovering that stuff is always so FUN!

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Learned something new. If something like a dog hair gets stuck in the "eye" part of an optical mouse it can make your pointer do some crazy stuff.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
*gets mouse* *starts poking random dog hairs in*

3 day migraine! Cuz stress! ARGH!

One day, people. One day I will be okay again.

OH. BY THE BY...
If anyone here is interested I write reviews & do interviews for Wh4ckmagazine.com (yes it is sortof a p0rn lifestyle mag... but besides the p0rn stuff we've done some interesting interviews and such cuz the editor wants it to be sort of like the old Playboy. NUDITY! and interesting articles.)

So if anyone would like me to pitch an interview with them to the editor... lemme know. I've interviewed R1ch4rd K4drey & will be interviewing Chuck W3ndig soonish.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Lily uses OvernightPrints.com

Blonde uses PrintRunner

Maryn uses Search Thread. (Tee-hee!)

You just reminded me that my book is coming out in 3 months and I still don't have final cover art. Is this... close to the wire? I mean, it's my fault - I'm the one nitpicking the text - but still. How far in advance did y'all get your final cover?

Jo, anxious to get some bookmarks made. :)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I almost always had my cover art 6-8 months in advance, Jo.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Caleb - I learned that lesson the hard way just a couple days ago.

LGwenn - Augh hope the migraine gets better soon. And <3 Chuck Wendig. That sounds awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.