The weirdest thing in your search history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Body farms.

If you have to ask what they are, trust me, you don't want to know or look at their web cam videos.
... I read a book on body farms in high school.

It was FASCINATING.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Body farms.

If you have to ask what they are, trust me, you don't want to know or look at their web cam videos.

The description doesn't seem that bad. Maybe I should watch one of the videos.

Magnificent Bastard

maybe a demon
Registered
Reaction score
There's people who don't know what body farms are?

Not much in my history here on iPad, but I did find "terminating pregnancy by stabbing self", "perfume making in 13th century France" and "cute dead people".

The first two were for two different novels. I'm not sure exactly where the third one came from or what I planned to use it for.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Body farms.

Oooh, I didn't realise there was such a thing. But this from Wikipedia cracked me up:

"Prior to the selection of the location, objections by local residents and the nearby San Marcos Municipal Airport (owing to concerns about circling vultures) stalled the plan."

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Body farms.

Web cams?

...why do I have a feeling this is about to consume every waking hour for the next week or so?

aleighrose

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aleighrose.webs.com
"why did Abba sing in English"
For the record, they also sang in Swedish. Listen to the Swedish version of S.O.S. sometime. It's awesome!

How to seduce a sofa with a viking helmet worn at a jaunty angle.
You win. Were you just looking up the weirdest thing you could think of, or were you actually doing research? Because, dude...

There's nothing truly weird in my search history, but since my current WIP takes place in Nazi Germany, I've been looking up a lot of German terms. So many, in fact, that Google now thinks I'm German. Every time I look something up (in English, mind you), it brings me links to German pages. Most of the results are English to German dictionary pages translating whatever English query I typed in. It got so annoying that I had to switch to Bing. On the other hand, I now know that a soccer match schedule is called a "Fußball Spielplan," so there's that.

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
Recently have searched for possible/ ideal sex position for very fat men... that was interesting, but sadly not very informative. Maybe I am being size-ist and it is not as complicated as I imagined.

Yeah, it's not particularly complicated.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Today's weird search: "vitamin A toxicity from eating insect larvae"

I just want to check if eating too many insects (e.g. eating the contents of a beehive including the honey, honeycomb and all the bee larvae) would have any health risks. I have a vague memory from university of the idea that you could die from vitamin A toxicity if you ate too many insect larvae.

It remains, however, an excellent source of protein and carbohydrate, should you be lucky enough to find one and skilled enough to smoke it out.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think my question was so weird, just the answer. I looked for "history of buttons".

It appears that the humble button was a very late addition to clothing design. After all the good inventions were gone, someone finally went "Hmm, if we make a little slit in the cloth, and push a toggle - no, let's make it a little round thing - through it, it holds two pieces of cloth together! Who knew?"

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
This wasn't recently, but I tried to search for the effects of GHB on a kid (7yo). I had a bad guy who'd kidnapped a kid and I wanted him to give the kid the drug. My antagonist killed the bad guy and rescued the boy, btw.

I tried google and Experts.com. The expert I picked asked me all sorts of hostile questions and I'm sure I'm on some sort of list now. I eventually made up the effects. I didn't want the cops showing up or something.

David

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This wasn't recently, but I tried to search for the effects of GHB on a kid (7yo). I had a bad guy who'd kidnapped a kid and I wanted him to give the kid the drug. My antagonist killed the bad guy and rescued the boy, btw.

I tried google and Experts.com. The expert I picked asked me all sorts of hostile questions and I'm sure I'm on some sort of list now. I eventually made up the effects. I didn't want the cops showing up or something.

David

Did you specify that you were asking because you were writing a book?

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I did. (At least, I am pretty sure I did.) I reiterated the point in the follow-up, for sure. The guy never responded after my follow-up...and his response to the initial query was so hostile I didn't push it.

I should have made it up to begin with, but I wanted to be accurate. I live in a small town and I have no idea where in this town to get such drugs. I hate mixing chemicals, so I couldn't make my own. So, the internet was the only resource I could think of. I've only been put under twice for surgery and once was when I was under 4...it's a powerful memory, but I wonder how accurate it is.

ETA: My comment about mixing chemicals comes from HS chemistry...not anything else. LOL

Last edited:

Emrylan

Registered
Reaction score
Just from the past 2 days:

"how would someone die of hemlock poisoning"
"hemlock poisoning effects"
"hemlock poisoning symptoms"
"hemlock poisoning"
"list of poisons and their effects"
"antifreeze poisoning"

Considering the fact that those were all in a row . . . I'd be a bit concerned if I saw that in anyone else's search history.

Then there's "stalker song list"

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
So, should I google "Effects on GHB on a 7yo boy?" No, probably not. I might not like what I see. I'll stick with making it up. I vaguely remember being gassed when I was 4 before surgery, so I'll go with something similar. LOL.

ETA: Does knock out gas still stink? Or, have they made it odorless?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Just from the past 2 days:

"how would someone die of hemlock poisoning"
"hemlock poisoning effects"
"hemlock poisoning symptoms"
"hemlock poisoning"
"list of poisons and their effects"
"antifreeze poisoning"

Considering the fact that those were all in a row . . . I'd be a bit concerned if I saw that in anyone else's search history.

Then there's "stalker song list"

apparently antifreeze tastes sweet and has been the cause of a lot of accidental poisonings. I have no idea if this is true or not though....

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
One of my female characters has a lot of facial piercings (eyebrow, nostril, tongue, and lower lip), but I didn't know what to call them, so I Googled "female body piercings." You can imagine what popped up (no pun intended) and why I cleared my search history.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, guttersquid. When I wanted to track down some pictures so I could use them as models for my characters, for one of them, who is female, teenage, and of Cambodian descent, I googled "Teenage Asian Girl Models" or something like that and wound up being directed to a whole lot of links I don't want in my search history.

But then again, trying to track down pictures you can use as models for teenage characters is pretty damned difficult, since most celebrities or models tend to be adults. Also, the pictures you do find of teenagers tend to be of impossibly perfect teenagers. I've more or less accepted that I'll never find the one photo that perfectly matches the picture in my head.

Last edited:

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
Emermouse, I had the same problem. A large percentage of my characters are early teens/preteens. Tracking down pictures of kids for models led to some weird links.

StarryEyes

Registered
Reaction score
One of my female characters has a lot of facial piercings (eyebrow, nostril, tongue, and lower lip), but I didn't know what to call them, so I Googled "female body piercings." You can imagine what popped up (no pun intended) and why I cleared my search history.

I have a similar story.

In my WIP, I have a character who comes from a primitive tribe in a tropical area. For this reason, loincloths seemed like the logical choice for men's clothing. Now, they don't have many resources, but they do steal livestock from neighbouring tribes. Therefore, I assumed their clothing would mostly be made from the leather of the livestock they slaughter.

To get a better picture, I googled "leather loincloth men".

You do not want to know what came up.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score