Show, don't tell vs. starting too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I read a post somewhere here that said new writers often start their story too long before the main event. They should trim their first few chapters. A few people I've shared my WIP with have suggested the same thing, although some of this so think is genre conventional wisdom, not based on whether my story in particular works or not. It's romance, and they say it's standard in romance for the hero and heroine to meet in chapter one.

The thing is, there is important information about the MC's motivations, relationships, etc. that occurs in my first few chapters. I feel like I'm showing this. Things are happening to reveal her perspective, I'm not just telling the reader about her. If I cut these chapters, these things will still need to be known. I can sprinkle them in at the moment when they're relevant, but I'll still be telling, not showing, unless I do a flashback.

My story starts a few months before the main inciting incident. I don't narrate every day of those months, of course, only two or three. This seems pretty reasonable to me. It's not like I'm delving back into her childhood to explain why she is who she is. I'm just showing who she is now.

What do you think? Does it seem like I'm on the right track, or should I cut?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not widely read in romance by any means, but it does have structural conventions which readers expect. Is there not a way to incorporate the backstory of the MC's life within the text of the story's unfolding?

After all, every heroine has a past which has shaped who she is today. Sometimes that past is dramatic, traumatic, or otherwise great story fodder. Yet romance does not typically begin with those events but with what's happening now, weaving those events in as interior monologue or via other characters' interactions with the MC and their references to it, among other methods.

So as I see it, the option is not keep or cut, but placement.

Maryn, who thinks your betas might know something

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
If those relationships and motivations are relevant to the story they should be evident without having to explain to the reader.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And if you've had more than two people point out the same thing, there's a good chance it's a problem.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
It's romance, and they say it's standard in romance for the hero and heroine to meet in chapter one.

I have a couple of romances on my keeper shelf where the hero and heroine don't meet in chapter one (a couple, compared to, well, a lot).

In one, the first chapter has the hero facing execution by the US government. It was so gripping I didn't care about anything but how he would survive. In another, the hero and heroine are on a collision course. I knew they were going to meet real soon and there would be an explosion when they did.

In both these romances, the hero and heroine met in chapter 2. I'm not sure I would hang in there for chapters where the romance wasn't happening, even if those chapters fleshed out the characters.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
The inciting incident for a romance is when the hero and heroine meet.

That's a basic definition for the genre. The plot of a romance revolves around these two people and the development of their relationship from the starting point to a committed happily-ever-after/happy-for-now state. Therefore, any backstory takes a back seat to the need to get these two together.

No one reads a romance to learn about someone's past.

Julie Garwood and Jayne Ann Kretnz write romance books where the characters often have very complex backstories that shape their stories, but they still manage to have their characters meet very early in the book.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
My story starts a few months before the main inciting incident. I don't narrate every day of those months, of course, only two or three. This seems pretty reasonable to me. It's not like I'm delving back into her childhood to explain why she is who she is. I'm just showing who she is now.

I think what often happens is that a writer may need to work themselves up into telling the story so they begin with the background. It helps the writer orient themselves but the reader doesn't need to know it all up front. All I want as a reader is a paragraph or so to tie me to the MC. For example, take the opening paragraph of The Hunger Games.
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim's warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course, she did. This is the day of the reaping.
We don't know anything about the background of the MC but we've got a small glimpse of her as a person, and we have no idea what the reaping is, but we're intrigued. Gradually we learn about the world and how Katniss fits into it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I read a post somewhere here that said new writers often start their story too long before the main event. They should trim their first few chapters. A few people I've shared my WIP with have suggested the same thing, although some of this so think is genre conventional wisdom, not based on whether my story in particular works or not. It's romance, and they say it's standard in romance for the hero and heroine to meet in chapter one.

The thing is, there is important information about the MC's motivations, relationships, etc. that occurs in my first few chapters. I feel like I'm showing this. Things are happening to reveal her perspective, I'm not just telling the reader about her. If I cut these chapters, these things will still need to be known. I can sprinkle them in at the moment when they're relevant, but I'll still be telling, not showing, unless I do a flashback.

The important thing is to get to character and story as fast as possible. Why can't you have the hero and heroine meet in chapter one, and while these other things are happening?

This doesn't mean they have to fall in love and get involved all at once, right there when they first meet, but as the writer, you choose where and when things happen, where and when people meet.

Too, when events are part of the past, telling often is teh best recourse. There nothing wrong with tell, when used properly.

But there's nothing wrong with having a character remember the past in show, either. Nor are flashbacks bad.

What usually doesn't work is having no story in the first two chapter. If the story is about two people falling in love, then those people need to meet very fast.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, there is important information about the MC's motivations, relationships, etc. that occurs in my first few chapters.

Be wary of falling into "The reader needs to know this" trap. Writers often underestimate the astuteness of readers, and often overestimate what they think the reader needs in the way of background info.

And from Osulagh's post:

Osulagh said:
If those relationships and motivations are relevant to the story they should be evident without having to explain to the reader.

Echo this, especially the bolded word. Try to avoid getting "explainy". I've often thought the "show, don't tell" mantra really should be expressed as "narrate, don't explain." Let your story do its work.

caw

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
The only useful rule of how to start a story is: "Start with interesting stuff happening." And there are many kinds of "interesting stuff." As long as interesting stuff keeps happening most of our readers will follow the story.

All other rules about (say) inciting incidents and such are suggestions only, not some doomful pronouncements sent down from Mount Olympus.

In a romance delaying the meeting of the two main characters may hurt, or help (by building suspense), or be unimportant.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
If it *is* a romance (that is, if you intend to pitch it to romance publishers or readers as a romance), then generally, yes. The love interests meet fairly quickly, usually no later than the first 50 pages, often within the first 20, if not the first few.

The characters can have complicated backgrounds that inform who they are--but the reader (and the other love interest) doesn't need to know all of that right away. Information can be hinted at in the thoughts and actions of the character.

But unless those first two chapters about her life are utterly compelling... you're going to have a hard sell on your hands.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
... there is important information about the MC's motivations, relationships, etc. that occurs in my first few chapters.

All else being equal, it's better not to write scenes to convey information.
Only write scenes to tell story.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score

For example one relationship is between the MC and her sister. After the inciting incident, they are in different countries. The relationship can only be evident, then, if I tell about it.

And if you've had more than two people point out the same thing, there's a good chance it's a problem.

Either that or it's conventional wisdom, which can sometimes be wrong.

When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim's warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course, she did. This is the day of the reaping.
We don't know anything about the background of the MC but we've got a small glimpse of her as a person, and we have no idea what the reaping is, but we're intrigued. Gradually we learn about the world and how Katniss fits into it.

But it doesn't start out with Katniss training. We start out in her community. Why? To learn about her motivations and relationships. I'm not planning on building the backstory of my world, which is post-collapse Russia. I'm not going to start with perestroika. By the analogy to The Hunger Games, I'm doing it exactly right.

The important thing is to get to character and story as fast as possible. Why can't you have the hero and heroine meet in chapter one, and while these other things are happening?

They're in two different countries. Some of the events in question exist to motivate her to leave her country.

Echo this, especially the bolded word. Try to avoid getting "explainy". I've often thought the "show, don't tell" mantra really should be expressed as "narrate, don't explain." Let your story do its work.

I don't think I'm explaining. I show the relationship between the sisters, and let the reader understand how that affects the MC's decisions.

The only useful rule of how to start a story is: "Start with interesting stuff happening." And there are many kinds of "interesting stuff." As long as interesting stuff keeps happening most of our readers will follow the story.

The stuff in the early chapters is quite interesting. It's pretty action-packed. No worries there.

In a romance delaying the meeting of the two main characters may hurt, or help (by building suspense), or be unimportant.

In my feeling it does build suspense. It allows for the romance to be unexpected and serendipitous. I've gotten the impression from romance purists, though, that suspense is not welcome in a romance novel.

If it *is* a romance (that is, if you intend to pitch it to romance publishers or readers as a romance), then generally, yes. The love interests meet fairly quickly, usually no later than the first 50 pages, often within the first 20, if not the first few.

I think I can pull off the first 50, if I try. Mind you, that's probably chapter 3.

All else being equal, it's better not to write scenes to convey information.
Only write scenes to tell story.

Information in a broad sense. Not just dates, places, things. I'm talking about developing character. I've read the opinion that the main purpose of story is to give information about character. Character is the decisions your character makes, and story is a sequence of those decisions.

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
For example one relationship is between the MC and her sister. After the inciting incident, they are in different countries. The relationship can only be evident, then, if I tell about it.

Does the sister ever become relevant after that? If not, why have her? If so, then when she does become relevant why can't you show their relationship then and there?

For example, they had a fight about the sister leaving the country. When the MC calls her up for some help, they conflict with each other over the past argument until the MC is able to override the conflict and get to their problem--there, I understand that something happened.

The stuff in the early chapters is quite interesting. It's pretty action-packed. No worries there.

So why are the readers telling you otherwise?

They are either: 1) Telling you otherwise; that it's not interesting and you think it is 2) Don't care and throwing out conventional wisdom because they can't be bothered 3) Bad readers--very unlikely.

In my feeling it does build suspense. It allows for the romance to be unexpected and serendipitous. I've gotten the impression from romance purists, though, that suspense is not welcome in a romance novel.

Suspense is welcome in a romance novel--it's, in fact, one of the defining qualities. It depends on the type of suspense and how you work it.

I think I can pull off the first 50, if I try. Mind you, that's probably chapter 3.

Question: Is this suppose to be romance, or something broader?

Here's my thoughts:

First, I think you're being reactive from your reader's comments. They aren't suppose to agree with you all the time, and surely it would be best to question why they thing certain ways so you can understand their thought. They might not just be throwing out conventional wisdom for the hell of it--they might just be using that wisdom because it's what applies in their opinion. Take the time to digest comments and critiques to see how it could or could not work.

Second, are you sure you're working in the right genre? Because your readers--and us--might be basing our thoughts and assumption on the genre you're working in. If you pitched the story to your readers as pure romance, they're going to walk into it and find everything but the romance should be trimmed. If it's meant to be, for example, women's fiction with romance, readers will probably react much differently.

Third, have you thought of somehow incorporating everything that happens in these three chapters with the later stuff? Mix what the readers want with what you wish to convey. Chapters created for the sole purpose of conveying information can sometimes drop dead at readers' feet--especially in the opening chapters.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I might add, for relevance to this thread, that my understanding is that Romance genre publishers are more interested in formulaic plotting than are publishers of any other genre fiction. They can be VERY specific about how they prefer narratives to be constructed.

caw

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I've often thought the "show, don't tell" mantra really should be expressed as "narrate, don't explain."

Yeah, I think the "Show, Don't Tell" mantra is poorly formulated, and that the experienced writers who respect it are knowledgeable in spite of it. What I mean is that they might refer to it as "Show, Don't Tell" in forum posts, but understand it as merely a lexical placeholder, a convenient buzzphrase, for a set of (much better) interrelated principles: "narrate, don't explain" is one of them; "favor the specific and concrete over the general and abstract" is another; "use interesting details instead of dull ones", as obvious as that sounds, is another*; and there are more. "Show, Don't Tell" might as well be thrown out once you are no longer a complete beginner.

The typical admonitions against "filtering" are similar in their crudeness. "Pay attention to narrative distance, and avoid haphazard slips in focalization" would be a big improvement. There are certain narrative distances at which you want to use "filtering" phrases, a lot.

*I'll occasionally read a story loaded with dull physical action, every other sentence looking like "He nodded" and "He adjusted his tie" and "He knitted his brow and wiped the sweat off his forehead and fiddled with his tie", because the author wanted to "show" not "tell", as per the mantra, and thought that was enough. I think "use interesting details instead of dull ones" on its own is better than "Show, Don't Tell"; I'd rather read a story full of interesting "telling" than one full of uninteresting "showing".

Last edited:

yetanotherheather

Registered
Reaction score
Does this genre make my story look fat?

Second, are you sure you're working in the right genre? Because your readers--and us--might be basing our thoughts and assumption on the genre you're working in. If you pitched the story to your readers as pure romance, they're going to walk into it and find everything but the romance should be trimmed. If it's meant to be, for example, women's fiction with romance, readers will probably react much differently.

I had the same thought when I first read your post. What is your heroine's main goal? Is it the relationship with your hero or something else? Is the romance between your MCs the focus of your story or is it more centered on your heroine's journey/growth/character arc?

You don't seem to want to revise your story to fit romance genre conventions. Maybe it's a case of the genre not fitting your story?

Whatever the case, I wish you luck!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
To carry on the Hunger Games example, that's a case of doing it right. Yes, Collins set up things in the beginning, but if you look at that very first paragraph, you learn that it's the day of the Reaping.

There you go. A promise of the inciting event. It doesn't happen just yet, but it's coming very soon.

That's what you need to give your readers: the promise that something interesting is going to happen. If you can do that while getting them familiar with the characters and setting, they'll keep reading. Just don't wait too long to get to that interesting stuff.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
To carry on the Hunger Games example, that's a case of doing it right. Yes, Collins set up things in the beginning, but if you look at that very first paragraph, you learn that it's the day of the Reaping.

There you go. A promise of the inciting event. It doesn't happen just yet, but it's coming very soon.

Yes. Right there in the first paragraph. The reader is promised something BIG is about to happen, which will result in more happenings. An emotional tension is created, and it is built up throughout that first chapter.

Too many new writers don't do that. Their characters stumble around in the first chapter like zombies, doing their 'thing'. Sometimes that 'thing' is gardening, or maybe it's mercenary work. Regardless, it's like reading about paint drying, because there is no stakes or tension. The MC has nothing to lose, and isn't under any real stress.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
The love interests don't have to meet in chapter one in romance. Mine don't. :)

Mine don't meet til chapter 3, but as my agent repeatedly insists, I AM NOT WRITING A ROMANCE.

It's historical crime. Crime thriller. Conspiracy thing. With a romance subplot.

I think that's an important distinction. As has been said, genre romance has certain conventions and expectations. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to write outside those conventions, but then you're sorta putting additional obstacles in your way when it comes to subbing it to someone who reps romance.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
They're in two different countries. Some of the events in question exist to motivate her to leave her country.
Motivations usually tend to fall into backstory, which is something that is best sprinkled in during the course of the actual story.

It's not just about being interesting, which of course is important. The question is does it move forward the heart of the story?

Suspense is welcomed in romance. There are even romantic suspense subgenres.

If you are writing a romance, it is better to have them interacting within the first chapter, best if they're interacting within the first page. As mentioned, romance has more rigid conventions. It's even to the point where most of the readers will automatically think the first male and female characters presented are the ones who will be falling in love.

Information in a broad sense. Not just dates, places, things. I'm talking about developing character. I've read the opinion that the main purpose of story is to give information about character. Character is the decisions your character makes, and story is a sequence of those decisions.
But these are things that should be sprinkled in, by how they react to the events in the story.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Mine don't meet til chapter 3, but as my agent repeatedly insists, I AM NOT WRITING A ROMANCE.

It's historical crime. Crime thriller. Conspiracy thing. With a romance subplot.

This. Morngnstar, it sounds to me like what you have is a political thriller with a romance subplot. Sometimes you have to write the book first and then figure out the genre.

One thing you may want to check out is the film Once. The female lead has a similar backstory but it comes out through dialogue (and music).

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
My story starts a few months before the main inciting incident.

The inciting incident IS the start of the story. It's the point where the conflict is set in motion and must be resolved. Just because it's part of the character's story doesn't mean it's part of THIS story.

You've had many people tell you the backstory probably needs to be cut and your response was justifying everything, so I'm betting you've already made the decision to keep it. Just make sure it's there because the story can't work without it, not because you're so in love with it you can't bear to part with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.