Where are you? (in your novel)

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is crammed into the front of the armored van, trying to decide if the irate zombie trapped in the back of the van will calm down if they feed him non-human brains. (He will, BTW. Yay!)

I am having such a good time writing this book.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Willy and 13 year old Narnia are sitting on a log admiring the mountains in the moonlight. They both know that tomorrow Bunny and Landi will return from Chicago and they will have to go back up to the cabins that burned in the forest fire. Willy wants to get that rented Hummer out of the way before the press gets there. It will only open a can of worms about Narnia's and Bunny's father, whose body will be discovered by the fire fighters.

Shaper and his varied crew are transiting the unexplored desert canyon in their river boats. They have just been saved from an attack by small vicious desert-dwellers by Dellaroe's echoing flute playing.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
New WIP: Dennis and two friends are in a sports bar on Dennis' 21st birthday. A lawyer buys them a round, then hands Dennis a package that Dennis' late father had him put away until this day. The package contains...

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
It's the first morning after. I'm so excited to continue.....yet I'm here, on AW plugging away.

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Zak just found out Courtney is not his child. He is about to beg Dena to take him back so he can be with the daughter he's been raising as his own for almost five years.

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
Braden is talking with Jade at her mother's restaurant. Jade's alluded to knowing a bit more about Braden than he feels comfortable with, and the drama ensues from there.

I'm still trying to figure out where it goes from here.

WorldPlanter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my MC just ran into one of his neighbors who he hasn’t seen in over a year and a half. She (the neighbor) is surprised to find Ryan (the MC) to be seemingly the same age he was when she last saw him. At their last encounter Ryan was a little over a year older than she was, now they’re about the same age. Oh, and Jamie (the neighbor girl) is the first recognizable person Ryan’s seen from his previous life.

I can’t give away too much more, though it should hopefully be obvious what genre this is for.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I'd like to play too, please. :D

At the present moment, Aleanna is discovering that you really should be careful of whom you sleep with. Spending the night with a stranger can lead to all sorts of trouble. :tongue

Kate discovered this, too. She gets furry because of it...

EDIT: And I do mean furry. That was not a typo.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Connor is attempting to tell Timothy about his job, but he doesn't know what to say. Mainly because I am having a MAJOR MENTAL BLOCK! Argh. Okay, back to the scene...

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Sarka is just now meeting Craven. (who's name will be changed very soon because I dearly hate it)

I have a character named Craven. Started writing his part at age 13, before I knew what the word meant. When I found out during one of my "vocab workshop" epiphanies, I was happy. He fits the definition very well. :)

Reaction score
At this moment, my as of yet nameless protagonist is lying on the hot desert sand with his three best friends dead around him, a bullet in his lung, blood pooling out beneath him, his bowels drained inside his pants, looking up at a merciless killer pointing a gun down at him. He's not a superhero, or an action star. He's just an ordinary guy with no experience with this kind of indiscriminate violence, and he's wholly unprepared for this. And with the inability to breath easily, and nobody around to help him, he's basically dead and he knows it, and he's just too terrified to do anything but lie there and wait to die.

Of course, I just started this novel, so the above is just what's going on in the first sentence. ;)

TypoSlayer

Rawr
Registered
Reaction score
whooo some fun!!!
I'm currently on the second book of my first attempt at a series called The Vaulkin Trilogy :). The main character, Railith, is going through a deep, dark tunnel with his friends, sister, crush and rival. :snoopy:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
about to hang up my cleats

it seems like i can only write two things--info dumps and black holes with an interesting scene or two. and i have to fit failing at being a novelist in between grading papers, teaching and being "mom". mom never fails you know. --s6

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Well, in my robot series (hardly a novel, but not quite a short story), Loeb is discovered, blackmailed, and defeated...for now.

In my novel novel, Thracius is having an argument and his back just popped. This is the worst thing that could happen to him.

In the story of my life, I'm sitting at my dining room table with sore eyes and a kitty, wondering why no tea is around and what I'm going to do about it.

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, I just started this novel, so the above is just what's going on in the first sentence. ;)

Sounds great!

Right now, my 19-year-old female protag just gifted a handgun that she stole from her boyfriend to a complete stranger. I don't think she's going to be a good role model for my (potential) readers.

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
it seems like i can only write two things--info dumps and black holes with an interesting scene or two. and i have to fit failing at being a novelist in between grading papers, teaching and being "mom". mom never fails you know. --s6

:Hug2: Don't give up. We all get days when we look at our writing and think 'What was I on when I came up with that?' :)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I'm stuck. I'm all out of sorts...and only 91 pages into the story. I know where it's going, just not quite clear how to get there.

Reaction score
I find that the best role models for readers are the people who you wouldn't normally think of as being good role models. This includes murderers and hatemongers and whatever else. Obviously you don't want to look up to them for their biggotry or their homicidal nature, but usually you can learn quite a bit from these types of characters. You can learn far more from them than you can from the Boy/Girl Next Door-types, who're farm raised and godfearing and totally the kind of person your parents would love you to bring home.

Those types tend to be boring. And they have nothing to teach us except that nonsense society has been trying to indoctrinate us with for the past bajillion years or so. It's the people we don't agree with that we learn the most about ourselves from. They challenge us to think, and to understand. The nice guy type just doesn't do anything. His decisions are always simple to understand, his motivations incredibly straightforward. He might be the guy we aspire to be, but he ultimately just isn't very memorable. Certainly not in a sea of Aragorn's and Obi-Wan Kenobi's and Peter Parker's.

And ironically, it's in these types of character's darkest moments that they really seem to come alive and bring us along for the ride with them.