Rejectomancy

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
That is an achingly beautiful rejection... Love your can do attitude !
This week: 4 day personal R from Kazka. Feels like a success; they called the writing "achingly beautiful" and asked to "send us another piece. Really." :) wasn't speculative enough; sent to another market and working on a stronger spec flash for them.

12 day form from Not One Of Us. One day I will crack this market. One day!
On my end: a one day Form R from Fwiction for flash. My second one day R both from a Sunday sub, editors must hate reading on a Monday....

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
A few Rs lately but the only one that really stung was the one from DSF. The story had been bumped to the second round and I really thought it was a lock- I half wrote the story with Daily Science Fiction in mind. Oh well, hopefully it's not to quirky that another editor won't love it.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
A few Rs lately but the only one that really stung was the one from DSF. The story had been bumped to the second round and I really thought it was a lock- I half wrote the story with Daily Science Fiction in mind. Oh well, hopefully it's not to quirky that another editor won't love it.

Sorry Sai. That bites. At least the story you wrote with them in mind made it to the second round, so you know you were on the right track. Better luck with another market.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Form R from Buzzy for the first thing I'd sent them. I'm getting rejections, yes, but I'm also finding some new markets :)

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Back on the merry-go-round of rejection! (and submission, go me...) 2 day r from CW, but it was horror. I think it's a good story, so it is back out.

Does Analog tend to be cyclical in sending out r's, anyone know?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Quick 5 day R from Apex.

Do they consider flash? It's included on their Duotrope specs, but I wasn't certain.

I'm sure they consider it, but I figure it'd be a hard sell. That's because they only publish 2 stories a month, so such a short short would have to go above and beyond.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Does Analog tend to be cyclical in sending out r's, anyone know?
Up until recently I would have said no. In my experience (1 year), they were a long wait market, 30+ days, but always constant in replies. Then after about six months they were replying as quick as 5 days, still constant. Then they went dead, and now they appear to be taking long breaks between responses.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a new editor taking over at Analog. That probably has to do with the delay in responses.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Final round at FFO, which is surprising since no one seemed to like it. Lol.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
39 day personal R from inkscrawl.

Is it terrible that I want to howl? A rejection that begins "though I greatly enjoyed both of these poems" leaves me shrugging as to what mark I missed. Last issue I was short listed, so I'll try again.

:cry:

(No, I'm seriously okay, but rejections are hard)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Marzioli - ouch! Somebody must have liked it for it to get so far. Send it out again. :)
Thanks for the encouragement, and you can be sure I will! The panel in the final round of consideration was just brutal with their evaluation! And good luck with your poetry resubs!

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
41-day R from DSF. Apparently the story wasn't lost, just the response. Sigh. At least I got a response to my query.

Commiserations too, to Marzioli and Renard and any other recent R's I missed.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations for the R's everyone, especially for your close calls Marzioli and Reynard. And the ones that took a long enough to probably be or feel like close calls - Eliza, and Anninyn.

LEWhite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leonardewhite.wordpress.com
One and two day rejections? How in the world did you get responses that quickly?

Maybe it is due to the markets I have been sending things to, but I am usually waiting weeks. The only exception being Clarkesworld.

L. E. White

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Received a really perplexing rejection from one of the senior editors at a zine today.

The personal note was:
I loved it, but there's no way in heck I'd get it past *name redacted (editor-in-chief)*

No reason given as to why it wouldn't get past the editor-in-chief, so i'm left feeling kinda weird. Was it deemed offensive somehow? Based on knowledge of EIC's personal preferences? Some other reason?