The Legend of Korra

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Asami would have racecar-bending skills. Kind of like metal bending, but at super high speed.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Mind if I join the fan club?

I agree the last scenes in the finale were a bit of a let down. It was fine leading up to it but I felt like it should have ended without her bending. I honestly though that a perfect ending would be her running out of the gate with Naga. And Mako just completely forgot about Asami? What was with that?

Not that it would ever keep me from watching the second season...:)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Don't forget, the Avatar's job is also to keep balance in the world.

Which is why I figured the benders would find a way to get their powers restored - you can't have a world without benders. It's unbalanced.

Which Amon forgot.

I would love to see what happened to him between walking into the storm and showing up at Republic City with his chi-blockers and his knowledge of how to *sever* the bending link. I thought it was a type of chi blocking but if Katara couldn't fix it...

... that's major mojo.

And given that Aang was the one who discovered/was given the power to take away bending... seems sort of right that he be the one to give it to Korra and let her start restoring the balance by restoring bending.

However I think she's going to be pretty busy for a few weeks with a lineup around the block for restoration...

;)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Can we have a Iroh/Mako group?

I wasn't inspired to fic for this show until... just now. :D

jessieanodel said:
I agree the last scenes in the finale were a bit of a let down. It was fine leading up to it but I felt like it should have ended without her bending. I honestly though that a perfect ending would be her running out of the gate with Naga. And Mako just completely forgot about Asami? What was with that?

I think the finale was rushed. I would have really liked to have witnessed a little more fallout from Korra losing her bending, rather that have everything cleaned up so quickly. The Makorra was meh. It was wrapped up just as cleanly and quickly as everything else. I'm not saying I wanted a slow dragout for S2, but a few episodes devoted to it on the front end would have been nice.

However, I'm going to forgive all of this and withhold judgement until I see what they can do with a full-season storyline. As far as I'm concerned, this was all warm up.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
Though I am not sure of how Bryke is going to write all these episodes... Unless everything that was half-explained on the season 1 is going to be fully explored -- and with that, I really hope we are getting to see an aftermath with the Equalists.

Korra learnt nothing, and the ending was completely Deus Ex Machina. I would say who really saves the day in LoK is Aang. For whatever the hell he did on the end.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
My god. I have the feeling that most of it is going to be filler.

That the finale disappointed me would be an understatement. Unless they bring in some new writers (read: better writers) I'm probably not going to watch. I mean, Bryke are awesome artists. They're good with dialogue. They're good with premise. But they can't plot to save their fucking lives. They're like George Lucas in that they know nothing about writing romance. It's saddening that such great potential goes to waste because they don't know how to tie up loose ends.

I could go on and on, but I won't. I mean, I'm happy that the show is doing well. God knows female PoC need more representation in the media as leads. But they could ease off the Deus Ex Machina and the character soup and be a bit more adventurous with their villains. Those are my only complaints with them, besides their lack of romance skills.

I mean, yes, it was a short season, but other writers have done a lot more with much less. Being anime fanboys, they should know that. They should've learned from season three of their first series not to load up on filler and shove everything into the finale. Here's to hoping they get it the third time around.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
JSM wrote every single Babylon 5 episode from the end of Season 2 to Season 5, and wrote most of Season 2 and a good part of Season 1.

It can be done!

Whether Byke can do it...

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I think their biggest problem is they tried to pack a multiseason arc into a single season, so everything was compressed, compacted, and just unfulfilling.

They've said in interviews that they have enough ideas to run through season 5 right now. Not sure what that means.

Perhaps, with two full, guaranteed seasons ahead of them, we'll see better plotting and pacing.

(Provided Viacom and DirecTV quit arguing and gives me Nickalodeon back!)

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
I think they could have done it. But the problem is that they spent some valuable episodes on the love triangle when they could've used those episodes to move the plot forward or foreshadow the background history of some characters that deserved more than only one episode -- namely the last one -- to have their pasts discovered.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
:nothing

Since the season ended, I've missed talking about it.

The305itself

Registered
Reaction score
I quit avatar the last air bender, I'm too lazy to watch more of it, I probably should, but I wont. The original show was so awesome to me, and I just don't want to risk seeing one of my favorite cartoons in a different light.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw all of season 1. It was okay. My problem the storyline wasn't developed enough so it could all be one season. My opinion, it should have been the whole series just as Aang's fight with Ozai took 3 seasons. Everything wrapped up to quickly and neatly with Korra and Amon. B-

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
There's a reason for that, based on what I hear.

Apparently when they started, they thought they were going to have two seasons, so there was a slower start and the Amon story would've been split into two halves (for the two seasons). Then they were told they were probably only getting one season, and scrambled to try to wrap everything up by the finale rather than leave viewers on a half-completed story and a season finale cliffhanger (as soooo many series have), hence why everything sort of started to rush to a conclusion after a certain point. Then just around finishing up the first season, they were told that, "Actually, your ratings are successful enough that you're getting four seasons total, so you have three more."

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Yep. It's the same way that Babylon 5 was written as a 5-year story, then they thought they were being cancelled after the 4th and rushed to tell the original season 5 story quickly, then got a 5th season after all and sort of went, "Uhm. Hrm. Okay, now what? We already blew through what would've been season 5 on the back half of season 4..."

Unfortunately, while I love Bryke's work, they're apparently not as good at condensing story as JMS was. I expect the Amon story would've been a lot stronger if they'd had two full seasons to tell it in instead, and had been able to have Korra have to really go on a journey of self-discovery to figure out how to cure chi-blocking... or to come to grips with the idea that she couldn't, which almost might've been a more interesting tale. But in fairness, as much as the rushed ending was annoying, I also think it would've been way more annoying if they'd kept to that two-season arc and then been cut off halfway through, never finishing the story. So I understand how they got there.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Really, I think their worldbuilding alone saves it from most of the failings...even if, frankly...the original show's story is much MUCH stronger.

Which bums me out, because I love Korra and Korra's characters.

Except for Mako. Fuck that guy, he's a TERRIBLE boyfriend.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the character Korra. She's rather annoying. I know they wanted a complete opposite of Aang, but did that have to make so irritating and Mako, meh. I'll give season 2 a try but don't know if I'll stick with it.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Really, I think their worldbuilding alone saves it from most of the failings...even if, frankly...the original show's story is much MUCH stronger.

Which bums me out, because I love Korra and Korra's characters.

Except for Mako. Fuck that guy, he's a TERRIBLE boyfriend.

This is a terribly old thread, I know. BUT (if you still watch the show that is):

Korrasami. It happened. That is all.

Also, it got much better. Season 3/4 were pretty watchable.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
AJDKLSDJFKLSDJFLJF I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE ENDING I KEPT WATCHING IT OVER AND OVER BECAUSE I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES

Seasons 3/4 got MUCH better. I almost quit the show entirely 2/3 of the way through season 2 and a friend assured me that the end of season 2 did get better and to keep watching, and now I'm SO FUCKING GLAD that I did. Holy shit. The very last ending scene is now my desktop background. I'm dying.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave up after watching the first season, but my friend just told me what happened in the finale of season 3. Amazingballs!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! I haven't even been keeping up with it and I want to scream it to the world. The best love triangle twist ever.