The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Some of my self-publishing clients have the most fascinating stories. I'm always curious about the ones who write full-time, how they managed it. Makes you think.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ep #2 of the podcast is recorded and I think it went very well.

I'm tired and not feeling great, with it being super cold (for here, since it went down to 13 last night). Making my neck hurt a lot. That's about all happening in my world.

Hugs and cheers as needed. Get better sick Purgies.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya purgies!:)

yay for blurbage lily and LW!:D

congrats dys - well deserved!:D

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
did you smell sea lion farts and that
horrid guano? ha! still beautiful tho.
Lisa and I both decided the joy of seeing the sea lions cavort, yawn, slide over one another, slip in and out of the water and generally entertain us, was worth the smell. I think the pelicans and cormorants guano was a bigger smell than sea lion farts. And Sunna, you can get really close. Some were within touching distance, but we weren't that close.

OMG, I'm just watching the news about the flu. Did you know the virus can survive up to 8 hours on anything - think shopping carts, doors, counters, handles, sinks...oh god, it's horrendously scary. I talked to two clients this morning who sounded like exactly the same person - both coughing up a lung and both had been out of commission for THREE weeks and still not anywhere near well. One lives in Oakland and the other in Fresno, CA. I really, really, really don't want to get this. But then I hear about the carcinogenic ingredients in the flu shot and potentially severe allergic reactions and I think I'll just stay at home until this blows over. :chair

Red, good to see you back!

Sammy, great results! Congrats!

Vamp dust for Cake!

Yay for book blurbs, LW, and Lil for virgin blurbing!

Mike, take care of yourself and little one. Get lots of rest and drink water so that your immune system isn't weakened.

More vamp dust for Shveta!
Y'all, I could use a little good luck. I'm about to go mail out my application for this amazing dissertation writing workshop in Sydney. It would be a fantastic opportunity. Plus an expenses-paid trip to Sydney!
Oh, that's exciting! Good luck and let us know how that goes!

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Hello, lovelies. Just relaying a message from our Caleb. For those of you who might have seen his FB post. He's fine. Just needs a few days away from the internet to sort some stuff out. :)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I'm just watching the news about the flu. Did you know the virus can survive up to 8 hours on anything - think shopping carts, doors, counters, handles, sinks...oh god, it's horrendously scary. I talked to two clients this morning who sounded like exactly the same person - both coughing up a lung and both had been out of commission for THREE weeks and still not anywhere near well. One lives in Oakland and the other in Fresno, CA. I really, really, really don't want to get this. But then I hear about the carcinogenic ingredients in the flu shot and potentially severe allergic reactions and I think I'll just stay at home until this blows over. :chair

!

Blue, if you are worried about what's in flu vaccines, it might help you to know that some of the things in them listed as carcinogenic are only carcinogenic from longterm exposure in specific ways and in large amounts. For example, formaldeyhyde is in the vaccine, but it's also in all sorts of things, including outdoor building materials, and people are exposed to it that way, as well as from cigarette smoke. It's classified as a carcinogenic because of increased cancer in mortuary workers who breathe in a large amount of it over a long period of time are more prone to some cancers:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/formaldehyde

If you look at the other ingredients, it's very similar in that there are tiny, tiny amounts in the vaccine, so I would rather take the risk of the vaccine than risk getting the flu.

There are heartbreaking stories of healthy teens who died of complications from this strain. It seems to make people particularly susceptible to staph and pneumonia sneaking in.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Blue, if it makes you feel better, I was talking yesterday to a friend who is an emergency room nurse practitioner at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. She says they are experiencing very high flu volume but not acuity -- it's just regular flu, not more severe than usual and probably more people coming in for it because of the media coverage.

So she told me.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Sea lion WHATS???
ht_puff_sea_lion_jt_121006_wblog_zps83a8e5fd.jpg

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
TIMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to be clean on the food and stuff, but yeah, put me in the "I'll risk the vaccine ingredients" category. I just was soooo freakin' sick when I got the flu. I really understood how people can die from it. The shot isn't perfect but I'll take the improved odds.

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning all.

I have today off to wait for incompetent Orange to send me a replacement (refurbished) mobile to replace the first replacement that they sent me that was faulty. Yay...

At least it gives me time after house chores to do some beta reading for someone.

And we didn't get any snow. So sad :(

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I've had three fulls out for two months and just sent another full to another agent...

Waiting is hard. :(

Also, I'm really scared of getting the flu. Is it too late for the shot?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting is hard. :(

Also, I'm really scared of getting the flu. Is it too late for the shot?

Waiting is really hard.

And it's not too late for the shot. It takes about 2 weeks after the shot for it to take full effect, but around here at least, the peak season is mid February, so that's why health officials are still encouraging people to get it.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, Purgs!

Hi A.P.M. Vamp dust for all your fulls! :)

Everyone seems to be sick here, too. Vitamins and lots of citrus fruit and hand sanitizer continue to be my best friends.

Thanks everyone for the impending graduation yays. I'm excited.

9 degrees out here. That beats yesterday's -5. Still freezing though. Brrrr. Stay warm, everyone.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I am not making this up: There's a guy being interviewed on the radio right now who had hot mammal smex with a dolphin in te 1970s, before it became illegal in Florida. For nine months. He wrote a book about it (Wet Goddess--but it's a novel. Because some people in the story are still alive.) He's talking right now about how the dolphin initiated the relationship (his words). He's going into detail--as far as one can on the radio--about the mechanics of it. Including foreplay.

:Jaw:

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Lily- Yay on the subbing. But, ICK on the dolphin guy. That is definitely an eye opener this morning.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Vamp dust for Lily!! *tosses a sparkly leg into the cuisinart*

Also: WHAT the everloving HELL? Duuuude. I've always sort if wondered why there had to be laws against such things. Now I understand. Who the hell is the programming director at that station?! :Wha:

Posting from the phone because our router has gone completely tits up, apparently. Ugh. Hooray.

I woke up this morning to a lovely review on a blog with a pretty big following, so my day started well. :D Hoping to keep it that way.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, Lil, what kind of radio station do you listen to??

Mornin' folk!

Wearing my magic boots today, so hopefully it will conjure good news for all of us.

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, lily.

And the dolphin guy... I... uh... do not really know what to say to that besides THAT sounds like a horror story. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.