Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I have to really develop characters and plots early on, especially if the main character is a girl. I have to make my characters very different from me so I don't make them author inserts or Mary Sues.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Pfff. Every single one of my main characters has been an author insert of some kind or another. It's kind of shameless how little I change them.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:Oh wow... just found out what an author insert is... :roll:Or how bad they appareretnly are!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Author inserts, Mary Sues? What are those?

Two different, but related terms.

An author insert is the protagonist as thinly-veiled avatar of the author. It's an excuse for the author to write about themselves winning the girl and saving the day.

A Mary Sue is an idealised goddess of perfection. She's the beautiful princess with the tragic past and the world-shattering destiny, the best warrior and the most powerful magic user, admired by friends, blessed by goddesses, etc. (See also: Alanna of Trebond.)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Pfff. Every single one of my main characters has been an author insert of some kind or another. It's kind of shameless how little I change them.

My protagonists are all psychopaths, so I hope they're not author inserts. :tongue

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
Hi guys! I revamped one of my SNI's and I plan to turn into a WIP!

It's about a cross-dresing trans guy! Whooo! Gonna be hard not to make him like myself though, since I am a cross dressing trans guy. XD Oh well. Different personality maybe? Sounds good!

The original idea for the story was so angst ridden. So glad I switched it out for an idea that can be comedic and serious at the same time.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah i just looked them up and started laughing hysterically in work... my coworkers already think I'm crazy but whatever... Oh the overwelming irony! I love it!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Not even going to both to take the test... Clearly i'm breaking yet another (one of a MILLION) rules to writing. Ally=me. I guess you can say I do the ULTIMATE author insertion! SCORE!!! One million and one rules broken now! As for my other characters, they literally are other sides of me in a sense.

As for the whole Mary Sue thing, none of my characters are perfect... shit always happens to them, and they all like and admire eachother but other then that they are pretty much hated or feared by everyone.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Reading GRRM makes me want to write a sprawling epic with lots of death and murder.

Hence, my Mirror/Mirror idea, which shall have as many characters as I can think of!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah but I know i would probably fail. More for the author inserting part. Because I am one of my characters, so yeah, instant fail. Although I have the same flaws as in real life. Caring to much about what people think of me, always thinking people dont like me, hypocondrac, dyslexic, over active concience, ect... Although in the books i have kickass abilities, that are loosly based on thing i can actually do. But yeah being my own character no matter how many rules i'm breaking is the funnest thing in the world!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
11k in and I'm officially out of plot. Must be time for a spreadsheet. :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back from the TV show I got sucked into. How are you two?

ETA: And now I am going to bed. 'Night, guys. :)

Last edited:

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Night, Lisa. Sorry, I was doing a couple things for my aunt. I'm good, but kinda tired. That's what happens when you go out and do yard/farm work in the middle of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.