Feeling Uneasy About My Agent

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I also hear back the same day, oftentimes within 5-10 minutes. Since it's upsetting you, I'd definitely try to phone her, though wait until you're in the right frame of mind, and maybe write down your main points. (I get flustered on the phone).

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to call and yell at her. In fact, I'd not recommend it. All you have to do is talk. You can start with, "I have some concerns," or "I was really bothered that it took two weeks to get a response to my email. I had a difficult time with my last agent and I'm hyper-nervous" or something like that.

It's not like you have to call and demand that she come through more. It's a discussion. You ask her about submission times. Find out about communication styles. Ask her what her plans are and would she like you to send her new books when you finish or hold onto them until she's able to submit another. And so on.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Taylormillgirl, I noticed you have a book with Disney Hyperion, congrats on that. One of my submissions is to there. They've had it 2 months already. Just wondering how long it took to hear back for you. How long was the wait for you with that one?

Oh, two months is nothing. :) If I'm not mistaken, my agent sent the ms in August and they made the offer in November. Good luck!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well I called her finally and it didn't go like I would have liked. She seemed unprepared. I asked her if she would like to call me back and she said she'd just look at my stuff now. Seemed to be fumbling with her email as we spoke. There was a lot she didn't know off hand and had to search for it. There was a submission that was of one of the four that was a pass. I didn't ask her why she didn't tell me, but I was thinking it. I asked if she'll pitch it to more places and she said she will, but of course didn't know off hand to where.

And she hasn't finished reading my current ms. but said what she read so far that it was the strongest of the three. That's all I got.

I seemed to be dominating the conversation and if she was at all prepared it would have probably went better. Now it's in limbo again. I asked her to please email me when she has my ms. read and a new list of places, so maybe I put the fire under her ass. Who knows.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'm a little puzzled, I admit. I thought you were phoning to sort out the communication issues. A status update is nice and all, but if you haven't arranged a communication schedule that suits both of you, nothing's going to change.

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Polenth. Instead of confronting the status updates it would have been better to have a heart to heart about your relationship with her and and the various issues you feel you are having about your career. Doesn't sound like the phone call changed anything.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
My agent never emails to let me know when there's a rejection. In fact, the only way I know who has it and where it's submitted is if I ask. I discussed this with him initially and he intentionally doesn't tell authors unless they ask because it allows us to control the amount of information we get and we don't have to stress over it too much.

I agree that this is the kind of thing that you should be discussing more than anything else. If it's so important to you to know when you've had a rejection, ask if she minds letting you know or something like that.

I know every situation is different, but I do somewhat get the impression that your expectations of what things should be doesn't necessarily jive with the way things usually go.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, Undercover? Your expectations seem unreasonable. What did you think was going to happen?

Well I called her finally and it didn't go like I would have liked. She seemed unprepared. Unprepared for a phone call she didn't know was coming, you mean? I asked her if she would like to call me back and she said she'd just look at my stuff now. She was taking time out of her schedule to try and resolve the problem for you. Another call would have meant a bigger delay and passing her schedule change onto others who also want a part of her day. Seemed to be fumbling with her email as we spoke. She was either referencing something for your questions or trying to finish whatever work your call interrupted. There was a lot she didn't know off hand and had to search for it. She's got a double digit client list "off-hand" is a lot to ask without prior notice. Had this bee a scheduled call, she would have had time to prepare. There was a submission that was of one of the four that was a pass. I didn't ask her why she didn't tell me, but I was thinking it. Maybe she was waiting to see if she got an offer before giving you bad news. I asked if she'll pitch it to more places and she said she will, but of course didn't know off hand to where. That will depend on how this round goes and what changes you might need to make to the MS given feedback (if any comes) from the rejecting editors.

And she hasn't finished reading my current ms. It's not a priority, as she can't send it out until your current submission is sorted and under contract. Other clients' work, which she CAN send out and thereby earn an income, takes precedence. but said what she read so far that it was the strongest of the three. That's all I got. You got a lot.

I seemed to be dominating the conversation because you started it and had the questions to ask; she was in the "response" seat, which is reliant on the "Asking" seat and if she was at all prepared it would have probably went better. Then you should have scheduled a call rather than just ringing her up. Now it's in limbo again. No it's not. The book's still on sub. The next book is in her "to read" queue. You're in good shape. I asked her to please email me when she has my ms. read and a new list of places, so maybe I put the fire under her ass. What fire? She can't force editors to read your work or respond any faster than they want to. She can't decrease their workload so they have the time to do so. She has other clients with viable works that she can be working on while yours is on submission. Once you get an offer, if you get an offer, then the priorities will shift again because yours is more pressing, but right now, it's not. Who knows.
You need to take a breath and step back. Realize that this business you're in is a slow one. Even after acceptance, it's slow. You won't be getting daily updates or weekly notes unless there's a reason for you to get them.

If you're this fried now, just wait until you actually sell the book and you still have to wait to sign the contract because the fine print has to be hammered out. That's another span of months, right there. You're only at the beginning of a very long road, and you don't want to be the kid in the back screaming "Are we there, yet?" every two miles.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
you don't want to be the kid in the back screaming "Are we there, yet?" every two miles.

Haha, yeah I know, right? No worries, I'm definitely backing off and away now. I'm done being a whiny brat about this. I feel bad as it is. And you guys are right, I copped out in asking about the communication thing and instead went straight to the work.

I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone's take on this. Thank you for helping me through it.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'm with Cyia on most points, but have a couple to add. Undercover, IMO you need to think in terms of multiples-of-months before even an agent hears anything about a submission. My soon to be ex-agent (and no, I will not diss her on loop) first sent out my three-book series proposal in September '11. We still haven't heard from two of the higher-profile publishers on this project, and it's April. I think in terms of six-month-chunks of time before I get restive about hearing from any one publisher, unless I have some sort of inside track. Even then it can take 4-6 months...

I did in fact e-mail my agent and ask her to call me at a time (usually on my day off from my day job) in the future. She always did and she always seemed prepared to discuss the project we were shopping around at the time. I would not have expected her even to know what project was "hot" at the time, if I'd phoned her out of the blue.

My take. Patience and communication are key.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
+1 Cyia.

My agent never emails to let me know when there's a rejection. In fact, the only way I know who has it and where it's submitted is if I ask. I discussed this with him initially and he intentionally doesn't tell authors unless they ask because it allows us to control the amount of information we get and we don't have to stress over it too much.

Same here.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is a useful thread. Now I at least know it's normal practice--I mean, if I had an agent who didn't think it was necessary to inform me about such things, I'd scream Red Flag! right away because I'd assume it meant the agent was just tossing my ms in the air to see if it sticks.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is a useful thread. Now I at least know it's normal practice--I mean, if I had an agent who didn't think it was necessary to inform me about such things, I'd scream Red Flag! right away because I'd assume it meant the agent was just tossing my ms in the air to see if it sticks.

It all depends on the agent. Mine forwarded the rejection I got for my last MS so I could read it. She also gives me a list of where she's subbing to the day things go out.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is different, which is why it's important to discuss before signing. I asked specifically about how much information was given and was told that he's happy to give me info whenever I want it, as much as I want. Some agents send everything to the author and keep up as informed as the agent. It's good to know how the agent works and also to have an idea of how you work so you can have a good match.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I asked initially, too. I'd rather not know too much--rejection letters (unless there's something useful to be learned) would throw me off what I'm currently writing. Like kaitie, my agent doesn't let me know when there are passes, either, and that suits me just fine. Every once in a while I'll say "Hey, how's it coming" and he'll say something like "fair to middlin'," and that works for us.

:Hug2: to Undercover. This is a tough business to get used to. I hope communication between you and your agent gets better.

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
When our books are out on submission, all we (and our agents) can do is wait. Months can and will go by without a word from editor or agent. But don't despair: it's a great time for writers to get some writing done, and it's a great time for agents to get some work done with other clients.

Look at it like a business. Wouldn't the energy you've spent agonizing over the wait be better spent writing your next manuscript? What better use of your time is there than that?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, I gotta agree with the others. You sprung a phone call on her, and of course she doesn't have your information sitting on her desk, because she has other clients.

I usually just let things slide, with an occasional 'how ya doin'' friendly tweet now and again. My agent and I talked in January about the game plan to submit. We talked a week or so ago about where it was and where it was going if things didn't pan out with the first batch. It's only been about six weeks - didn't expect anything but the information she gave me. It was a kind-of planned call, and so she had everything out and ready when she picked up the phone.

And now I will wait patiently. Or not so patiently but not bugging her about my impatience :) (and thanks for the 'it takes months and months to hear' thing, gang -- so many people complain about a mere six months for a response.)

It all gives me some breathing room, because I've got two new editions of previously pubbed books to work on (contracted) and another series book to write (contracted) and another book to plot (not contracted but hopefully will entice whatever publisher my agent sells the ms she's got to to give me a multi-book deal.)

I am too busy to think about it. And with her working for me, I don't HAVE to think about it. No more query letters, no more spreadsheets keeping track of where I've sent it and when. Ahhh, having an agent is grand!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Months can and will go by without a word from editor or agent.

I can understand an editor not getting back to you after months and months, but not your agent. After you get your agent, months should NOT have to go by to hear from him or her. Sorry I'm not one of those types that would let months go by and not hear anything if you already have an agent.

Ahhh, having an agent is grand!

Not necessarily. If you don't have a right author/agent match up, it can be a nightmare. Having an agent doesn't mean all peaches and cream afterwards either. There's a chance your agent might never sell your manuscript too. It's not once you reach the agent goal, it's all grand and everything. Not at all. It's just passing another hurdle during a track race.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand an editor not getting back to you after months and months, but not your agent. After you get your agent, months should NOT have to go by to hear from him or her. Sorry I'm not one of those types that would let months go by and not hear anything if you already have an agent.

But if there's no news, then what's she going to do? Email you "nothing yet" every week? The most common scenario seems to be the one in which communication only happens when something's actually happening.

Unless you arrange something different, she'll likely email you when she's done reading your next MS. She'll email if you get an offer. She'll email if you get rejections from all of the editors who have the book. What else do you need to know?

You could always follow her on Twitter if you want a peek at what's going on in the office on a daily basis. I'd suggest you do this, anyway. It gives you an idea of how many other people she's working with, as most, if not all, of her clients will be doing the same. You're more likely to get word of high work loads, email pile-ups, etc, and you can see if it's a rough day in the office (i.e. a day not to call).

Twitter's more informal, so there's less pressure and you can get a sense of personality. You'll probably see a few of the editors she works with on there, too, which will give you an idea of how they interact with people. I wouldn't ask or air business matters via Twitter, as it's public access, but it's a great side tool.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
But if there's no news, then what's she going to do?

Well she/he can pitch it to other places while these months goes by, or think of a new strategy to make a sale happen. I don't think an agent should wait indefinitely to hear back. Some editors never respond back. I think in those cases the agent should persue other publishers.

And Twitter may be a good way to check what's going on with your agent or publisher, but if they don't update it on a daily basis (which mine doesn't) you won't be able to rely on that.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Undercover, the root of your problem lies in the following:

Your agent does NOT think about you every minute of every day.

The editor to whom your MS is submitted does NOT think about it OR your agent every minute of every day.

The phone call you made to your agent didn't solve your problem but made it worse.

Your expectations are unreasonable.

I talk to my agent multiple times a week in different capacities. Last year, one of my MSS submissions was tied up at a Big Six publisher for EIGHT MONTHS between initial reads and committee. My agent, who is honestly one of my best friends now, did NOT give me an update every week or every months because I knew if there was anything to tell me, she would. We correspond/talk about other things--my next project, my current work in progress--and, if applicable, what we learn from a rejection that might be valuable as we move forward in the process.

But you know what I don't do? I don't call her without first setting up the call as an appointment via email. I don't expect her to babysit me through the process. And I certainly don't go onto a well-known writers' website and complain about her. It doesn't matter if you don't mention her name; there are enough agency mates online for any of us to have a real good guess of who your agent is.

Or for your agent to discover who you are, and what you've been saying.

Your lack of knowledge of how publishing works is really working against you here. You don't KNOW enough about traditional publishing to say things like "she/he can pitch it to other places" or "pursue (sic) other publishers." That's not the way things work. And if you don't learn how publishing works really darn soon, you are likely to lose your agent and her representation and have to start all over again.

Seriously. Drop it. Now. Then start to teach yourself what you need to know about the agency-publisher relationship and focus your energy on your writing instead of looking for faults with an agent who is obviously doing all the right things.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not implying that my agent should think about my work every minute of the day. That's a complete exaggeration here. I was talking months. And I did set up a phone call meeting via email and she never responded. I mentioned that in the thread, which you seemed to have missed. And I also said I was "backing away" and dropping it. I was only responding to comments AFTER I did drop it and answering as a generalization. You know in generally speaking? I can add my thoughts to this thread just like anyone else can.

If you don't like the topic, I suggest you don't check the thread then. But you telling me to drop it isn't cool either. As far as I know if this thread isn't locked, it's considered an open topic.

Anyone is free to add there say. Everyone has there own experience and works with there agent differently. You telling me I don't know enough isn't going to add anything.

And if you really wanted to dig to find out who my agent is, go for it. I haven't said anything incriminating about her. This is just how I feel and my own experience. And isn't this what this forum is for? To talk about it? If you think talking about it is a problem, then I don't know what to tell you.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
You telling me I don't know enough isn't going to add anything.

Maybe not, but it's true.

Your expectations are unreasonable. Full stop. There's really nothing people on this forum - or anywhere else - can add to the conversation without telling you things you don't want to hear.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I dunno, I get the impression from Undercover in this thread that the issue isn't the glacial pace of publishing, but when she has questions and emails them to her agent she never hears back. To me Undercover hasn't been complaining that things take time, she's complaining that when she DOES have a question, she's ignored.

To me there is no excuse for that. If the agent is getting tired of Undercover's impatience, she shouldn't be ignoring her, she should email and say, "Okay, look, you gotta take a chill pill." But there is a distinct lack of communication going on here.

Now, I, like others in this thread, am disappointed Undercover didn't discuss the communication concerns over the phone when she had a chance, that's a whole other thing. But I really think the key issue here is a lack of communication - on both sides quite frankly.

So let's not all dog pile Undercover. She's trying to figure this out like the rest of us, and it's really hard to just chill when you are feeling ignored by someone who is meant to be your team mate.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think two things are going on.

A) I think Undercover's expectations are a little out of line with the pace of the industry, in terms of how quickly editors get back to agents and how many editors any given manuscript is going to be on submission to at one time.

BUT

B) I think that Undercover's agent is not great at following up and responding to Undercover's emails and phone messages. Which might be a serious mismatch in their agenting and clienting styles and expectations.

That said, I agree with everyone who suggests that Undercover should schedule another phone call by email and send an agenda for the topics to be covered in advance. That's the only way the two of them are going to be able to work out a communications strategy that is comfortable for both of them, or to decide that this isn't a good "fit" as an agent/client relationship.

I would suggest that next month would be a reasonable time to schedule the phone call.