When talking to agents on the phone.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Do they ever ask about what other projects you are currently writing/have written/have outlined? Is it common courteous to divulge those? I haven't talked to an agent on the phone yet but I'd like to be ready. I'm also nervous about telling my ideas that I've worked hard on with an agent I may not pen a deal with.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yes, they'll want to know what you have in the pipeline, for many reasons: to know you're not a one-hit wonder, to see if your plans include writing in 57 different genres that they don't rep, to see if you have decent ideas, to be sure you're professional and aren't afraid they'll steal your ideas, etc.

And no, you have absolutely no reason to be guarded on a phone call with an agent. That's why you research agents before querying; if they're reputable and professional, query them. Once an agent wants to talk on the phone, you're in serious fucking business territory and being cagey will never work in your favor.

No one wants to steal your ideas. Agents especially don't want to steal your ideas.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Do they ever ask about what other projects you are currently writing/have written/have outlined? Is it common courteous to divulge those? I haven't talked to an agent on the phone yet but I'd like to be ready. I'm also nervous about telling my ideas that I've worked hard on with an agent I may not pen a deal with.

Do they ask? They might. Depends on the conversation you are having.

Should you "divulge"? Hmm... "Divulge" makes it sound like it is a state secret or something. Just say "A YA thriller" or whatever -- it's not like you have to read it aloud to them.

If you honestly think that an agent is going to steal your idea, or that anyone CAN "steal an idea" based on a one or two line pitch, or that anyone WANTS your idea... you really need to step back and stop querying until you learn more about how the business works. Ideas are a dime a dozen.

Agents are not some mysterious antagonist ... an agent will hopefully be your partner in your career. They are your fiduciary. They handle your money. They know a lot more about you than most people outside your family. If they like your work enough to have a conversation on the phone, they are probably either looking to have you do revisions, or they possibly have an eye to repping you. They are probably going to be professional, nice, kind about your work. If they ask questions, it is because they want to get to know you a bit better, and know how you are going to be to work with -- AND they'll want you to get to know about them as well.

I'd suggest treating it like a phone call with a nice person who loves books and likes YOUR book -- something to be excited about, but not something to be afraid of or paranoid over.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
They might ask about other projects, or they might just focus on the book in hand. The agent probably wants to discuss the project you submitted, possibly make some suggestions, assess your willingness to revise if necessary, and generally guage whether or not you're someone they can work with. There are all sorts of writers out there, including some whose expectations are so unrealistic and inflexible that the agent might choose to take a pass. (I'm sure you're not one of those.) Don't worry if you're nervous---any unpublished writer gets nervous talking to an interested agent, and they won't take off points for that. This conversation is as much for your sake as for the agent's. You should have a list of questions to ask. The AAR has a useful list on this page, if you scroll down.

Stealing your ideas is not an issue. Ideas are a dime a dozen. It's all about the execution.

Good luck!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the agent. Mine didn't. I asked if he was interested and he said he'd rather focus on one book first and once we had that one sold (or not) then we could move on to another.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Physical relationships aside, you're basically marrying the agent - if it's to be a good partnership. I've had good phone calls with one agent, followed by an hour or two of heart-to-heart talking on some hotel steps. She helped with one contract for me. She wants to see more of my work, to know if she loves my writing. But even if she doesn't become my full-time agent, she and her clients are now good friends of mine.

I had the choice of calling three agents, when I needed contract help. I picked the right one.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
I actually had an agent ask me about future projects when she requested a full from me pre-offer. So yes, it is a question you need to be prepared for, even before the call. When I did receive offers, I was definitely asked that question.

As everyone else mentioned, as long as you are querying reputable agents, stealing your ideas or intellectual property is a complete non-issue.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would hope an agent would show interest in your other projects. You're not looking for an agent for one book but for your career. If the agent sounds ho-hum about your other projects, she probably isn't going to be the best agent for you in the long run.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would hope an agent would show interest in your other projects. You're not looking for an agent for one book but for your career. If the agent sounds ho-hum about your other projects, she probably isn't going to be the best agent for you in the long run.

I agree with Sage's comment. You're looking for an agent for the long run, not just for right now with this particular book.

Best of luck with the phone call!

skink

bien dans ma peau
Registered
Reaction score
My agent, and one prospective publisher, asked what I was currently working on and the publisher wanted to see a synopsis.

he harped on about having an 'income stream', and not wanting to invest in a first-time author unless he could see there would be some longterm payback for all that effort. He also suggested that age was a factor for the same reason.

Last edited: