What Games Do You Play? (Changed from "Computers ...")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I was playing Fallout Tactics for the first time earlier today. It definitely took some getting used to gameplay wise, but it's actually pretty fun. I wouldn't mind seeing Bethesda try its hand at a tactical style Fallout game, or license some other dev to make it.

JadeKnight

I play:
-Star Wars (kotor, force unleashed, battlefront, jedi knight series, republic commando...)
-Need for Speed
-Tony Hawk
-Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
-Lego Games(addicted :p)
-Final Fantasy 13 (now that it's for xbox!)

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
I was playing Fallout Tactics for the first time earlier today. It definitely took some getting used to gameplay wise, but it's actually pretty fun. I wouldn't mind seeing Bethesda try its hand at a tactical style Fallout game, or license some other dev to make it.

Ask and ye shall receive. You can get a copy here.

Merry Christmas.

And while I'm at it I'm playing Borderlands 2 pretty much exclusively these days.

Last edited:

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I felt nostalgic enough to pull out Darkstalkers the other day.

I have completely forgotten how to play it. I was helming Demitri, and I spent the whole time sucking the wrong way.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
DOOM, and pretty much nothing else. I slaughter a few thousand helpless hellspawn every day. There are still excellent new levels being made, and now there are several good random map generators. My fave is ObHack, which at its best can rival handbuilt maps.

Fame<Infamy

Registered
Reaction score
Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us were the most noteworthy games I have played lately. I'm currently playing Dragon's Crown. All on the PS3.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Well when I get a new desktop pc I'll be playing South Park: The Stick of Truth. Before that time comes I play on occasion Dragon Age: Origins on my laptop. One of my favorite games of all time, and back when Bioware made great games annually. Hopefully that trend will return with Inquisition.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Age of Wonders 3. It was clearly made by people who loved Age of Wonders 1 and 2, though I'm slightly annoyed by the race drop off. Where are the high men, the archons, the shadow demons, the undead, the cat people, the desert nomads...

Maybe they're hidden somewhere in the game, but you can't start as them. Lame.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Just finished Beyond: Two Souls. I thought about replaying it to get all the endings, then decided it really wasn't worth it. It was all right, but not anywhere near as good as Heavy Rain - which I did see all the endings for.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Beyond: Two Souls. I thought about replaying it to get all the endings, then decided it really wasn't worth it. It was all right, but not anywhere near as good as Heavy Rain - which I did see all the endings for.

Oh man, I loved Heavy Rain. For me, the thing with Beyond: Two Souls - the endings are different, but not really all that different. I loved the story (though, I was disappointed the "two souls" was exactly what I guessed it was) but the ending was just what happened after the interesting bits. I youtubed the endings so I could see what I missed.

I beat Infamous:Second Son on the good path. Loved it. Now, I'm somewhere in the middle of the new Tomb Raider. I don't know, I'm torn on it. Looks good, plays like a lot of other games, and somehow, I have trouble giving it a lot of credit, because it's just a Tomb Raider game. That's unfair, and yet I'm still doing it.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Give it time. I really liked TR by the end - the character development won me over. Plus while it's not particularly ground-breaking gameplay, it is done really well.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I got Baulder's Gate: Enhanced Edition a long time ago and...didn't get anywhere. But I've started playing it again and by poking around and getting Mensk, I've managed to get past the level 1 slump.

Once you start leveling (which in AD&D takes FORRRRRRREVERRRRRRRRRR!) the game opens up and gets really fun!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm playing Remember Me at the moment, and it seems like a series of missed opportunities. It's a great world and I want to spend time there, but it's trapped in the body of a bog-standard platform action adventure.

The "memory remix" mechanic they spent so much time hyping is great. Each one is a fun little puzzle; not too hard, and not requiring trial-and-error. There's just not enough of them! They're very short, and for a core mechanic they feel massively underused.

One of the other things is stealing memories - access codes, routes through traps, etc. That's a good idea, but it's done as a single button-press; it's too easy. They're telling me Nilin is this elite memory hunter, but the way the mechanic is implemented makes it look like anyone can do it. Plus it makes the ends of sections hunting for memories rather anti-climactic - the simple addition of a mini-game could have elevated this. It feels almost like the developers ran out of time.

There's a similar "finishing move" you can execute that supposedly overloads your target's memory circuits. It wouldn't have taken much to build the memory-stealing idea into combat alongside that or instead of that - have it be a way to unlock goodies like artwork, or little snippets of worldbuilding, or an XP element. It just seems like the game design - the mechanics of gameplay - aren't tied well into the game concept. I feel like someone like Ubisoft would have done a lot more with it.

Actually, now I'm imagining a new Assassin's Creed mechanic where you hack memories so you can play as characters other than your ancestor... that would be cool.

Last edited:

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
The "memory remix" mechanic they spent so much time hyping is great. Each one is a fun little puzzle; not too hard, and not requiring trial-and-error. There's just not enough of them! They're very short, and for a core mechanic they feel massively underused.

Every time one of those memory remixes came up, I remember thinking, "I wish these were the whole game." If they put out a side-quel puzzle game that was literally nothing but a collection of memory remixes, I'd buy it.

You're right about Remember Me being a series of missed opportunities. The setting and backstory were so well-built; it's a shame the gameplay was just your standard crawl-n-brawl.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm torn about whether or not to dust off my poor Vita and get Virtue's Last Reward on it. I loved 999 but I've heard mixed things about the sequel. Those things are mostly in fandom circles though and could be less about the quality of the game and more about a ship being sunk or something. Anyone played it? Worth the buy?

FlaDan

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have gone back to Fallout New Vegas while I am waiting for Wolfenstein, the new order. Can't wait.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Been playing various games, from indie RPG maker games to stuff like the new "Tomb Raider" game.

I am also enjoying "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" (my avvie is the Brujah female I am playing) and "Dishonored".

The only thing I don't like in Dishonored is that, to get the non-chaotic, "good" ending, I have to not use lethal force and use stealth. It is a bit frustrating to have lots of ammo, crossbolts, and a sword...but I can't use any of them, lol. I'm also terrible at stealth (which explains the Brujah vampire chick I play as, as the Brujah are a physical clan and prefer brute force), heh.

Last edited:

FlaDan

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Diablo III got a great patch and is nowing dropping great loot everywhere.

I had to go out and get it this weekend. Love it.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm playing Reaper of Souls currently and it's a great addition to D3. Love the crusader class. The major gripe for me regarding D3 though is the leveling system. It's too simplistic for my tastes but I still love the game regardless. Hoping Blizzard releases another exp.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score

I liked Beyond: Two Souls all right, but found that I was satisfied just watching the other endings on Youtube.

I love Heavy Rain, and I think that raised my expectations. Beyond: Two Souls felt a lot more like an interactive movie than a game, which isn't necessarily bad, but it made the "choices" disappointing. One thing I liked about Heavy Rain was how even minor choices would react in some different responses/reactions sometimes, and failing a task usually just gave you a different outcome instead of making you do it over again.

I'm playing Remember Me at the moment, and it seems like a series of missed opportunities. It's a great world and I want to spend time there, but it's trapped in the body of a bog-standard platform action adventure.

I've been meaning to play that for a while, now, but I keep hearing pretty much the same verdict on it from everyone. I'm sure I'll still get around to buying and playing it, especially if I can get it on sale down the road, but what I've heard has made me put it further down my list.

I'm playing Dishonored right now, on the PS3. I'm enjoying it, and I love the stealth aspects even if I'm not very good at it sometimes. I think I'm starting the final mission now. I think the only thing I dislike is that sometimes the nonlethal options in missions seem more cruel or messed up than just assassinating the people. That kind of lessens the motivation to spare people, IMO, and it can make Corvo seem more passive-aggressive than merciful.

Status
Not open for further replies.