lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
A little vent

My husband is taking a sick day today, and I am worried about him. I am thinking of leaving the office and working from home so I can look after him, but I'm aware that: 1) they don't like people working from home that much; and 2) my boss is out of town, which may make it look like I'm shirking. (On the other hand, I don't much like this job, so what do I care what they think??)

My husband is a type 2 diabetic. Last night he took the wrong kind of insulin, and his blood sugar plummeted dangerously. We sat up for a while, and he nibbled on things until he got it all the way back up to 60. (For those who don't know, "normal" blood sugars are about 80-120. At 40 you're probably unconscious.)

Today he's fuzzy-headed and whacked out, and has told me not to worry if he doesn't answer emails for a while; he's going to try to nap.

Telling me not to worry is like waving a flag in front of a bull. :(

I don't want to get in trouble here at work...but really, the odds of me being able to focus on anything at all are about zero.

I've never been a nag. He's a grown-up; I'm a grown-up. He knows how to take care of himself. He knows what he should and shouldn't do, and he makes his own decisions. But boy, I understand why some spouses nag. I want to stand over him 24/7 for a while until he stabilizes again.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
:partyguy:HAPPY BIRTHDAY SILVER!!!:partyguy:

:hooray: Happy birthday, Silver! :hooray:

BIRTHDAY FUN!!!

:banana::Cake::banana::Jump::banana::Cake::banana:

Thanks!! :D

My husband is taking a sick day today, and I am worried about him. I am thinking of leaving the office and working from home so I can look after him, but I'm aware that: 1) they don't like people working from home that much; and 2) my boss is out of town, which may make it look like I'm shirking. (On the other hand, I don't much like this job, so what do I care what they think??)

My husband is a type 2 diabetic. Last night he took the wrong kind of insulin, and his blood sugar plummeted dangerously. We sat up for a while, and he nibbled on things until he got it all the way back up to 60. (For those who don't know, "normal" blood sugars are about 80-120. At 40 you're probably unconscious.)

Today he's fuzzy-headed and whacked out, and has told me not to worry if he doesn't answer emails for a while; he's going to try to nap.

Telling me not to worry is like waving a flag in front of a bull. :(

I don't want to get in trouble here at work...but really, the odds of me being able to focus on anything at all are about zero.

I've never been a nag. He's a grown-up; I'm a grown-up. He knows how to take care of himself. He knows what he should and shouldn't do, and he makes his own decisions. But boy, I understand why some spouses nag. I want to stand over him 24/7 for a while until he stabilizes again.

Aww, Liz. :Hug2: :Hug2: Can you call him made every so often to check up on him, or maybe go and see him during one of your breaks?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
That's not just man flu*, that's proper medical emergency stuff. I didn't even know there was more than one kind of insulin!

I would say working from home is perfectly acceptable in that scenario. And anyone at your office who questions it needs to get their priorities in order.

*: do you get man flu in the US? It's like a normal cough or cold, but MAN-SIZED. Men don't get the sniffles, they get a TWENTY-FOUR-HOUR BATTLE AGAINST MAN-FLU.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
That's not just man flu*, that's proper medical emergency stuff. I didn't even know there was more than one kind of insulin!

I would say working from home is perfectly acceptable in that scenario. And anyone at your office who questions it needs to get their priorities in order.

*: do you get man flu in the US? It's like a normal cough or cold, but MAN-SIZED. Men don't get the sniffles, they get a TWENTY-FOUR-HOUR BATTLE AGAINST MAN-FLU.

I think man flu is universal. We get it down here in Oz. The poor little loves, they suffer so terribly.
(I hope sarcasm translates)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thanks, everybody. Your support is very much appreciated. :e2grouphu:

After reading over what I'd written, I realized how stupid it was to stay in the office. So I wrote my boss a note, and got in the car. My husband is dozing upstairs, and I'm working in the living room. A much better arrangement!

French, he sees his doctor pretty regularly, and I suspect he'll bring this issue up. The fast-acting insulin was an experiment, because sometimes his levels would be fine at bedtime but high in the morning. Once the body can't produce the stuff properly, it becomes something of a balancing act. But mixing up the fast stuff with the regular stuff? Bad, bad idea - the dosages are totally different. I'm ready to chuck the fast-acting stuff out the window; it doesn't seem to help, and it has a huge potential to be dangerous.

osg, he gets MAN-FLU about once a year. He crawls into bed and sleeps for 24 hours straight, and then he's fine. I don't worry about him then. (I do sometimes coo over him and remind him how MANLY his flu is, but strangely he doesn't seem to appreciate that. :D)

Diabetes is a nasty one. It's a chronic illness, but most of the time (especially if he's eating properly, which he usually does) there are no symptoms. In this case, of course, it was the medication that got him, not the illness - but he wouldn't need the medication if he didn't have the illness to begin with.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Apologies to Silver for hijacking her birthday! I am up for some celebrations. :snoopy:

Do you have big plans for the day? Did you get any good stuff? Do you have any birthday traditions?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies to Silver for hijacking her birthday! I am up for some celebrations. :snoopy:

Do you have big plans for the day? Did you get any good stuff? Do you have any birthday traditions?

Oh no, it's fine. Your thing was a lot more serious, a lot more. I'm just aging up. >.<

:TheWave: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :TheWave:

Thank you!! :D

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Muse have you thought of contacting the Russian Embassy and asking their help? I find that many Embassies have staff that are very willing to help with an understanding to their language and culture.

I would but...er...it was Liz who needed help with her Russian.:D Good suggestion, though.

Thanks, everybody. Your support is very much appreciated. :e2grouphu:

After reading over what I'd written, I realized how stupid it was to stay in the office. So I wrote my boss a note, and got in the car. My husband is dozing upstairs, and I'm working in the living room. A much better arrangement!

French, he sees his doctor pretty regularly, and I suspect he'll bring this issue up. The fast-acting insulin was an experiment, because sometimes his levels would be fine at bedtime but high in the morning. Once the body can't produce the stuff properly, it becomes something of a balancing act. But mixing up the fast stuff with the regular stuff? Bad, bad idea - the dosages are totally different. I'm ready to chuck the fast-acting stuff out the window; it doesn't seem to help, and it has a huge potential to be dangerous.

osg, he gets MAN-FLU about once a year. He crawls into bed and sleeps for 24 hours straight, and then he's fine. I don't worry about him then. (I do sometimes coo over him and remind him how MANLY his flu is, but strangely he doesn't seem to appreciate that. :D)

Diabetes is a nasty one. It's a chronic illness, but most of the time (especially if he's eating properly, which he usually does) there are no symptoms. In this case, of course, it was the medication that got him, not the illness - but he wouldn't need the medication if he didn't have the illness to begin with.

I'm glad you decided to work from home, Liz, definitely the right thing to do. How is hubby now?

Today(March 13th) is my birthday. Woo! :D

YAY! Happy Birthday, Silver. :PartySmil

And no birthday would be complete without :Cake:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I would but...er...it was Liz who needed help with her Russian.:D Good suggestion, though.

So it turns out I know a guy who knows a guy. I might be able to get this resolved. But the embassy is a fabulous idea.

I'm glad you decided to work from home, Liz, definitely the right thing to do. How is hubby now?

He is much better now - pretty much himself. After declaring all day that he NEVER naps, he zonked out for a couple of hours, and it really seemed to recharge him.

And he forgave me for hovering. :)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Well, once again, I discovered that biggest problem is just sitting down in the chair(or wherever) and just writing. I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to do. I just can't. My mind just starts to worry about other stuff while I'm writing, and that other stuff ends up distracting me to the point that I stop writing and then proceed to worry about that thing.

*sigh* Maybe I should go back to playing music of some sort while I write? Maybe that will distract me enough to actually get stuff done. I think that worked at one point before.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I find if I put headphones on and listen to a play list it helops keep absent thoughts from my mind as I'm writing.

Also I burn insence to relax me nad I'm thinking of doing some meditation before I write to relax me further and empty my overactive brain.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I find if I put headphones on and listen to a play list it helops keep absent thoughts from my mind as I'm writing.

That's exactly what I have to do, FM. Well, I use earphones but it's the same thing really. It really helps me out I think. So, I think I'm going to have to start doing that more.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I only do that on hte weekends though, because I need to be able to keep an ear out for the boys during the week when they're with me.

I find it quite effective, but it all depends on hte songs that are playing as well.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
And he forgave me for hovering. :)

I'd forgive you for hoovering*, too, Liz. There are chocolate crumbs all over this room. :D

*sigh* Maybe I should go back to playing music of some sort while I write?

Go for it! I always listen to music while I write. I listen to stuff I know really well, or is really atmospheric. A lot of the time I listen to film scores or instrumental music. I tend to focus in on lyrics so not having any helps stop me getting distracted. Same with albums I know inside out. I know them so well that I don't have to "listen" to them.

*: in the UK, we call vacuuming "hoovering" thanks to Hoover brand vacuum cleaners.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Late to everything again, but...

Happy birthday Silver!
Liz - ((hugs)) - and did you get the Russian issue resolved? I only know a little (did one term in school too and I can follow it a little thanks to the similarities with Czech), but I do have a friend from Kazakhstan who speaks pretty fluent Russian if you still need help.

I am in Sydney, spent the day sightseeing, and off to Adelaide tomorrow evening. Can't sleep though thanks to the time difference!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, you're now three hours ahead of me.
It's 12.30am here in the west.

We've had thunderstorms all day today, it's been wonderful. Again tomorrow.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Zelenka, you're now three hours ahead of me.
It's 12.30am here in the west.

We've had thunderstorms all day today, it's been wonderful. Again tomorrow.

I love thunderstorms. We get them much more frequently here than we did in Arizona (lived there as a kid when my dad was stationed in Tucson). Desert thunderstorms are truly spectacular.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I feel so out of everything - slept most of the day. Still tired, going back to bed for more sleep . . .

I also love thunderstorms.